Textblock Issue  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Stefan89
User

Textblock Issue

Post by Stefan89 »

Hi There

I have an issue with textblocks in PDF X Change V7. The Problem I face is that when I create a invoice in our finance program I sometimes have to make a manual changes to the address.
Now to what my actual problem is, there are two adresses right next to each other, and PDF X Change always puts them together in one textblock, so when I add an additional line in either of the address blocks it screws up the other one as well. I tried for about one hour to get this to work propperly but I cannot get it right...
Is there a way to split the textblock or another workaround to be able to change only one side without screwing up the whole textblock?

BR
Stefan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Textblock Issue

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

I did a test, trying to reproduce the problem with PDF-XChange Editor V7 build 324.2.
I created two (base content) text boxes and also two (comment) text boxes near to each other, but I was not able to.
See the attached PDF.

Can you post an example PDF ?

Best regards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stefan89
User

Post by Stefan89 »

Hi
The big issue here is that I dont have control on how the PDF is generated since it is done directly out of a program.
The attached PDF has been created with the PDF X Change V7.0 r324.2 Pdf Creator out of a Word file.
I hope this is somehow possible in PDF X Change...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Stefan,
I am currently troubleshooting the issue, and haven't found a resolution as of yet, but once I do I will get back to you.
For the time being though, I do notice you are using 324.2, We are now in 324.3; if you would like to update, it wont fix this issue, but it'll stop you from encountering some of the ones we've already fixed :)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Hello Stefan89 and Tracker Software Support,

At my opinion it just depends of the structure of the Word document (see attached example files - enclosed in a ZIP).

@Stefan89
Is it possible to also post the Word document that you have used for your Test_PDF.pdf ?

Regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Thanks willy,
I just returned from lunch, and he is quite right, If the structure in word is set to have 2 columns for example, it does separate them correctly over here too.

Care to try that and test it, and if it still does not work, could you send the doc to us to try out?

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Stefan89
User

Post by Stefan89 »

Hi Willy and Daniel
I have already deleted the Word, it was only some text and a manually set tab stop with more text where I jumped to.
The issue is that I can't change the output of the invoices of our program (I work in a ~6000 ppl company)
That’s also the reason I don't have the newest version, deployments take a little longer sometimes :)
But if you manage to somehow get this to work would be amazing, then we can get rid of some Adobe licenses.
BR
Willy Van Nuffel
User

I am afraid that you will have the same issue with Adobe Acrobat ...

The best solution will be to look for a change in the original files ...
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

- Select Edit -> All Content or Text.
- Draw a box around only the left or right text to select only that part.
- Cut the text out (CTRL-X).
- Paste the text back in (CTRL-V).

Now the left and right text blocks are in separate text boxes.

Sometime it may happen that both sides reconnect to a single big box when you paste, you then have to first click on some blank space before using paste. It only happened once here, though.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Textblock Issue  SOLVED

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi All,

I also tried a few things with the sample file provided by Stefan89, and managed to find yet another solution.
I opened the content pane, and selected the text objects that were corresponding to the left hand side of the page, then dragged them to the top - and as you can see - the order on my below screenshot changed, and now the left and right hand sides will be recognized as separate blocks and you would be able to work with the left side to add the needed new line without touching the right!
reorder.png
Cheers,
Stefan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

That solution is quite clever Stefan !
We still learn every day ...
:-)
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Same end-result as cut & paste, so I feel that having to move things in the content pane is more cumbersome. But still good to know the alternatives.
Stefan89
User

Post by Stefan89 »

Hi again

Thanks for all the Help!
@Stefan
This looks like a solution I can provide to our finance people with high hope that it will get accepted.
@Willy
Adobe XI automatically separates those text blocks, but with that solution we can finally get rid of that.

BR
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Stefan89,

The order of the objects in the structure of the file originally caused them to seem as consecutive elements of the same larger block - and the logic we apply grouped them together. This is not necessarily a bad thing if you have a big chink of text you want to edit in one go, and it is broken down into hundreds of elements inside the PDF structure. Apparently Adobe apply different logic and try to guess if there are gaps - but we are not applying the same - so we get different results.

Glad to hear that you are happy with the suggestions everyone provided here, and that you've selected mine as a Solution!

Cheers,
Stefan
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

This is what the content order looks like after cut & paste:
CutPaste.JPG
As can be seen this leads to the same end-result as moving content items.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Thanks for the example timur! :wink:

Support@pdf-xchange.com