PDF file preview not displayed in win explorer

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Paul - Tracker Supp, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software

tarmiricmi
User

PDF file preview not displayed in win explorer

Post by tarmiricmi » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:32 am

Hello,
I recently upgraded from 5 to 7 version of PDF-XChange Editor.
The PDF files are associated properly with the application, but I lost file preview in Windows Explorer (instead of preview of actual file, it just displays an ordinary icon).
Can I control that somewhere?

Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF file preview not displayed in win explorer

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:04 am

Hello tarmiricmi,

I believe that a complete re-installation may be necessary here. I've numbered the steps below to make them easier to follow:

1) Uninstall all products of ours that you have installed. Restart the computer.
**Note: restarting the computer at all prompted points is a very large part of making this work, so please be sure to do them
**Note: Also be sure to disable any and all anti virus programs that you have running and make sure that you are logged in as the Administrator.
2) Open up File Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files and delete the PDF-XChange and/or Tracker Software folder.
3) Now, go to the Windows search bar and type in " regedit ", then right click and hit "Run as Administrator"
4) Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and delete the Tracker Software / PDF-XChange folder
5) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and delete Tracker Software / PDF-XChange folder.
6) Re-install all the products you have installed before with this link:
https://www.tracker-software.com/product/downloads
7) Now complete the install and restart Windows.

I hope this will solve the problem.

Best regards.

tarmiricmi
User

Post by tarmiricmi » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:00 pm

Dimitar - Tracker Supp wrote:Hello tarmiricmi,

I believe that a complete re-installation may be necessary here. I've numbered the steps below to make them easier to follow:

1) Uninstall all products of ours that you have installed. Restart the computer.
**Note: restarting the computer at all prompted points is a very large part of making this work, so please be sure to do them
**Note: Also be sure to disable any and all anti virus programs that you have running and make sure that you are logged in as the Administrator.
2) Open up File Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files and delete the PDF-XChange and/or Tracker Software folder.
3) Now, go to the Windows search bar and type in " regedit ", then right click and hit "Run as Administrator"
4) Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and delete the Tracker Software / PDF-XChange folder
5) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and delete Tracker Software / PDF-XChange folder.
6) Re-install all the products you have installed before with this link:
https://www.tracker-software.com/product/downloads
7) Now complete the install and restart Windows.

I hope this will solve the problem.

Best regards.
Thanks for the reply, I've followed the steps but it didn't unfortunately solve the problem.
I installed this utility http://www.win10pdf.com/pdf-preview.html
and voila, problem solved (I'm using PDF X-Change as before, while this utility displays thumbnails of PDF properly).
Something similar could be included in PDF X-Change probably...

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:21 pm

Hello tarmiricmi,

We do have our own preview handler. It just seems like it didn't install properly for you.
Can you please make sure that you have updated to build 324.3 (from last night) - and then go to
C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions
There should be a XCShInfoSetup.exe file in there. Try to start it and then try to register all preview options with our products - and see if that will help!

Regards,
Stefan

tarmiricmi
User

Post by tarmiricmi » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:44 pm

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello tarmiricmi,

We do have our own preview handler. It just seems like it didn't install properly for you.
Can you please make sure that you have updated to build 324.3 (from last night) - and then go to
There should be a XCShInfoSetup.exe file in there. Try to start it and then try to register all preview options with our products - and see if that will help!

Regards,
Stefan
Hi, this is confirmed working. That is what I've looked for. Thanks again.

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:54 pm

Glad to hear that tarmiricmi!

Cheers,
Stefan

Dave004
User

Post by Dave004 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:56 pm

tarmiricmi wrote:

Regards,
Stefan
Not working for me? Should I reboot PC to take affect? or re-install

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:15 pm

Hello Dave004,

Yes please try rebooting to make sure the installation and registration of the Shell Extensions iwth Windows Explorer completes, and then if you still have problems - please locate and start the C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions\XCShInfoSetup.exe file. This will open up a new window. Do make the desired changes in it - and this should set the previews properly for you!

Regards,
Stefan

Dave004
User

Post by Dave004 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:52 pm

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello Dave004,

Yes please try rebooting to make sure the installation and registration of the Shell Extensions iwth Windows Explorer completes, and then if you still have problems - please locate and start the C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions\XCShInfoSetup.exe file. This will open up a new window. Do make the desired changes in it - and this should set the previews properly for you!

Regards,
Stefan
Yes it worked. Thank you very much Stefan

Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:08 pm

:D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com

ristob
User

Post by ristob » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:02 pm

Dave004 wrote:
tarmiricmi wrote:

Regards,
Stefan
Not working for me? Should I reboot PC to take affect? or re-install
XCShInfoSetup.exe work for me! It fixed the explorer and outlook preview!

Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:35 pm

:D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com