Document Signing

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

BangkokBob
User

Document Signing

Post by BangkokBob »

I raised this issue a long time ago (V4?) and said that I felt two additions would be very welcome:
1 an option for a "save to directory" when signing documents; and
2 The ability to separate date and time in the signature's displayed fields. As time is obviously inherent in date, I don't want to display this as it takes up unnecessary space.

The reasons for the above are that I sign a lot of PDF documents. As in other businesses, other people prepare documents and store them in a directory, I sign them and save them to a finished directory. Whilst the last saved location will be prompted, it is often not the location which is required. Time wasting locating the correct folder! A default location for signed documents would solve this problem. Other signing software I used in the past deleted the unsigned file, which also was useful, however I've programmed a utility to compare unsigned and signed directories and deletes the unsigned document when it finds the same document in signed.

I thought that the "Add a Place" under File Open was going to help, but I am unable to"Add" any location. What is this for? How does it work? Help doesn't seem to help.
I like V7 although opening is much slower with the ribbon. Hope that gets fixed.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Document Signing

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello BangkokBob,

Thanks for your post and feedback. For the moment the "Add a place" feature requires you to also select a file in the location you want to remember. We did it that way so you can directly add a place and select a file in it, but realize now that it is not as intuitive as we thought it would be. So please do select a file in the location you want to add - and it will be added. From there on - you can use it properly as a custom location.

As for the separation of date and time - I am not sure this is allowed by the specification, but if it is - I will make FR to the guys in the dev team so that they can consider it!

Regards,
Stefan
BangkokBob
User

Post by BangkokBob »

What is displayed on a signature is only that, the full details don't have to be displayed, and even now we can turn parts on and off. We just can't separate date and time.

Thanks
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello BangkokBob,

Yes - you can decide to have the whole date and time displayed or not, but not separately.
I will have this discussed internally, but please note that we might still not be able/allowed to change this due to specification restrictions.

Regards,
Stefan
PhilR
User

Post by PhilR »

I've tried the 'add a place' as mentioned above and it does work. However it ties you to the actual 'end directory' in which the selected file exists.

I believe that it would be more useful if it were also possible to link to a selected directory without opening a file within it. This would allow, for instance, allow a user's top-level directory on a server to be selected, rather than lower level-directories.

Phil
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Phil,

This is a limitation in the current implementation, and we are considering making it possible to select a directory without having a file in it.

Regards,
Stefan