PDF XChange Viewer lost tabs, can they be recovered?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

qofmiwok
User

PDF XChange Viewer lost tabs, can they be recovered?

Post by qofmiwok »

My Windows 10 computer just had a forced reboot and upon opening Viewer all my tabs are closed. Is there a log file where there are stored so I can get them back? I could get a backup of the log file from last night if it has been overwritten.

Thanks
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PDF XChange Viewer lost tabs, can they be recovered?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello qofmiwok,

Thanks for your post and enquiry.
I am afraid that it's not possible with the Viewer, but please download it's successor - the PDF XChange Editor - and you will find that we've introduced a sessions manager tool in there - so you can save more than one session and then quickly load them.

As for the Viewer - you could try to check the recent files list and see if the ones you had opened are stored there to allow you to at least open them back quicker than having to browse through various folders.

Regards,
Stefan
qofmiwok
User

Post by qofmiwok »

Thanks, but I want to make sure you understand the question. i am sure there must be a list somewhere of the files, because every time I open pdf viewer you open them all. I don't see how you could do that if there wasn't a list. So why can't I go get that list from my backups? Thanks
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

It depends of what you mean by "tabs" ?
And, do you really mean PDF-XChange "Viewer" or rather the "Editor" ?

1) If you mean the "Menu bar", then just press the F9 key to turn ON/OFF that bar (in both Viewer and Editor).
When the "tabs" (toolbars) get lost in PDF-XChange Editor, then you can best take a back-up copy of the current settings, via the Edit-menu > Export Settings... After having done this, then perform a reset, via Edit-menu > Reset Settings...

2) If you mean the list with your "most recently used" files:

The information about all opened documents in PDF-XChange "Viewer" is stored in Windows Registry:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer\Documents\LastOpened

The information about all opened documents in PDF-XChange "Editor" is (in my opinion) stored in the file "History.dat", located in:
C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for the help Willy!

@qofmiwok - did Willy answer your questions or is our assistance still needed?

Regards,
Stefan
qofmiwok
User

Post by qofmiwok »

I see the info on PDF Viewer, thanks. Meanwhile I downloaded PDF Editor as suggested but I don't see anything about how to save sessions or how to set it so that it recovers all open docs when re-opening. In general I'm finding it much more difficult to figure out how to do things than with PDF Viewer. I'm sure it's more functional but also more complicated. I can't get page thumbnail to show up either. Any help? Thanks
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi,
For sessions, if the system crashes it should automatically remember the session and attempt to reopen everything automatically but just in case, check the settings, you should see this box checked off if it will remember.
There is a bit of a learning curve with the editor, and its always harder moving from one program to the next, but as you said it is certainly more feature rich and once you are used to it, it is a very efficient and versatile tool.
Also if you would like for the ui to look more like viewer did, there is a "Classic UI" option built in to the interface, Right up in the top right corner:
As for thumbnails, there are multiple ways to open the pane, but my favorite is (CTRL+T)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
qofmiwok
User

Post by qofmiwok »

I can't even find options.
I downloaded a manual and it does the same thing, just says to go to options or preferences but never tells you where those are. One thing says edit>>preferences and I don't have an edit menu.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Sorry for the confusion, The Available Manual is for V6 of the software, While you know by now we are in V7.
If you switch to the Classic UI (as detailed above) you should find that the layout is much more similar to the way the v6 manual will describe.
In many cases though, should the edit menu not have the option, take a look in the File menu, it may appear there, such as the settings options you are looking for.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
qofmiwok
User

Post by qofmiwok »

Now the program tried to update itself and hung up in the middle and I can't run it at all. Tried uninstalling, reinstalling, no dice. Keeps skipping out saying it doesn't have privileges in the folder.
Edited by moderator: language
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

that is likely cause by a brother printer driver, called Control Center 4, or an security software, if it is running, please stop the driver, then the install should proceed smoothly.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
qofmiwok
User

Post by qofmiwok »

Thanks. Avast was causing me other problems too, so I got rid of it. Now the install worked and I was able to select the option to save history.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Glad to hear you've resolved the issues qofmiwok!

Regards,
Stefan