7.0.324.2 Does Not Come Up in PA.com Platform

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Chim
User

7.0.324.2 Does Not Come Up in PA.com Platform

Post by Chim »

I installed PDF-XChange Editor 7.0.324.2 Portable (the Tracker Software version, not the PA.com version) in my PortableApps.com platform in my Flash Drive. The app name does display in the PA.com menu. However, upon clicking on the app name in the menu, the app never comes up.

I'm not sure whether it's the 7.0.324.2 Portable version (from Tracker Software) being corrupt or whether it might possibly be a Windows XP issue. I have Windows XP SP3 Pro. I have avast 12 anti-virus. As a side note: I DID successfully install, bring up and use the Installer version of 7.0.324.2 in my desktop computer.

To try and troubleshoot the issue, I was going to download and install the PortableApps.com version of 7.0.324.2 (which they currently only have 7.0.324), but I was not able to download the app from them. The download kept erroring / timing out very early on in the download attempts. I have Dial Up Internet and sometimes I have trouble downloading apps from PA.com, especially if they are the ones hosted at SourceForge. So, not having been able to download the PA.com version of 7.0.324, I was not able to determine whether the problem might be Tracker Software's version of 7.0.324.2 Portable being corrupt ... or whether my Windows XP is somehow involved.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: 7.0.324.2 Does Not Come Up in PA.com Platform

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

It is certainly an XP issue at this point, in the past few hours I've had multiple additional users report the same problem, like you've said the installer version works, and we are doing our best to continue XP support, I will be setting up a virtual machine with our development team for testing shortly here.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Chim
User

Post by Chim »

Alrighty then. I'll leave y'all to your testing, troubleshooting, brainstorming and fixing.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Temporarily, it seems that the plugins folder is causing this issue for some windows xp machines, if you can delete/rename it the application should work.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Update, the entire folder does not need to be disabled, only the Dropbox and SharePoint plugins from within that folder, we have begun working on fixes for these two

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Chim
User

Post by Chim »

Cool! I'll just wait for the official fix, Daniel. It's that I no longer have it installed. I went back down to 7.0.323.2. And I had already gotten rid of the setup file. And with my Dial Up Internet, at 48 Meg file size, getting back that setup file would be another a little over 2 hour download. :shock:

Okay, I'll be on the lookout for the fixed version.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

on a personal note, I am curious, why do you choose to use dial up over the alternatives? is it simply the only option where you live? I could not imagine trying to navigate the internet in this day and age when loading some websites can be 2-5Mb

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Chim
User

Post by Chim »

That's the only option I have right now ... yeah, something like that.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for the follow up Chim!

Hope you will soon have other options available for connectivity as well!

Cheers,
Stefan