Latest versions of Editor do not load in Windows XP

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

pdfx-nitsua
User

Latest versions of Editor do not load in Windows XP

Post by pdfx-nitsua »

I have been happily using PDF-XChange Editor on my Windows XP desktop system for several years. Everything has worked fine up through version 7.0.323.2. However versions 7.0.324.0 and 7.0.324.2 both installed but fail to load when the shortcut link is clicked. I have even gone directly to the ".exe" file to click it directly with no success. Neither of the latest two versions have loaded no matter what I have tried.

By contrast on my Windows 10 laptop both versions 7.0.324.0 and 7.0.324.2 have installed and they load properly when clicked.

Has support for Windows XP been quietly dropped starting with version 7.0.324.0?

If not then how do I fix this problem on the Windows XP computer?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Latest versions of Editor do not load in Windows XP

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello pdfx-nitsua,

We have not deliberately done this, and I think we still try to support XP as much as possible - even though it is now getting quite old and there are some limitations in it.
I will check with our devs now to see why is this issue happening for you and to see if there's anything we can do from our end to ensure that the next build will run on XP.

Regards,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello pdfx-nitsua,

We believe that this might be caused by some of the plug-ins. Can you please try to go to the Editor folder and empty the contents of the Plug-ins sub-folder (e.g. move all the plug-in files to a differnt folder on your desktop), and see if the Editor will launch that way?

My colleagues from the dev team told me that they specifically tested build 324.1 on XP and it worked for them!

Regards,
Stefan
Chim
User

Post by Chim »

This MAY or may not be related.

I experienced a similar situation. In my case, I WAS able to install, bring up and use the latest PDF-XChange Editor 7.0.324.2 in my Windows XP SP3 Pro desktop computer. However, I then proceeded to install the Portable version of PDF-XChange Editor 7.0.324.2 (the Tracker Software version, not the PA.com version) in the PortableApps.com platform in my Flash Drive. The app DID display in the PA.com menu. However, upon clicking on the app name in the menu to bring it up ... it just never did want to come up.

I don't know if this would be a case of the Tracker Software version of 7.0.324.2 Portable is corrupt or whether it is a Windows XP issue.

If you want me to start a new topic / thread regarding this issue, let me know.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi chim, I would say there is a chance that could be related, but could you please also make another post about it as it is also its own separate issue? Please include screenshots of anything relevant you can, or possibly a video of what is happening.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I had a little bit of trouble last week. I was changing some settings (as usual) and the program closed on me. I think that may have been because I was trying to do extreme multi-tasking though, as I had to restart the computer as well.

Then 324.2 would not start. I looked in the program directory and everything looked fine. I tried running the installer and doing a repair, but I was getting an error message. I uninstalled the program, installed the previous version (323.2), and then installed 324.2. It has run perfectly ever since.

I think the problem I had may have been my computer not the program, because 324.2 installed fine the 1st time I installed it. The only plug-ins I don't have running are Dropbox, Sharepoint, and Google Drive. Windows XP sp3.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi arnold
I would assume that with extreme multitasking the process hung instead of closing outright, so when you restarted the machine it could possibly have corrupted the settings if they had not fully saved while you were using it last...
though in this case it should have simply reverted to the defaults, instead of refusing to open before a reinstall...

If you can find a way to reproduce it please do let me know.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Chim
User

Post by Chim »

Okay, Daniel, I went ahead and started a separate thread regarding my own topic / issue.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Thanks, will follow up on that one after a bit more investigation :)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
pdfx-nitsua
User

Post by pdfx-nitsua »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello pdfx-nitsua,

We believe that this might be caused by some of the plug-ins. Can you please try to go to the Editor folder and empty the contents of the Plug-ins sub-folder (e.g. move all the plug-in files to a differnt folder on your desktop), and see if the Editor will launch that way?

My colleagues from the dev team told me that they specifically tested build 324.1 on XP and it worked for them!

Regards,
Stefan
Stefan,

Thank you for your suggestion. Before finding your reply I had already uninstalled Editor version 7.0.324.2 and reinstalled version 7.0.323.2. Once the old version was reinstalled everything worked as it used to.

Upon finding your suggestion once again I installed version 7.0.324.2 and once again the application installed correctly but simply would not load when clicked upon or initiated. Then I followed your suggestion and moved the 13 plugin objects from folder "Plugins.x86" to a different folder on another logical drive that I named "Tracker plugins." Once this was done and I clicked the shortcut icon to start the program it loaded as it was supposed to. So it appears that this solution works.

However I do have another question now: "in moving these plugins away from their intended folder have I in some way diminished or incapacitated some of the application's capabilities? In other words will all of those plugins work as they are supposed to even if there are not in the folder that they are supposed to be in?"

Gratefully,

pdfx-nitsua
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello pdfx-nitsua,

With the plug-ins files moved to a different location - the plugins will not load in the Editor at all.
So you can try moving them back one by one - and see which is the offending one (I suspect SharePoint).

Regards,
Stefan
pdfx-nitsua
User

Post by pdfx-nitsua »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello pdfx-nitsua,

With the plug-ins files moved to a different location - the plugins will not load in the Editor at all.
So you can try moving them back one by one - and see which is the offending one (I suspect SharePoint).

Regards,
Stefan
Thank you once again Stefan for your assistance. I did take some action on your latest suggestion although I did it backwards. (Smile)

First I reloaded all of the plugins back into the "Plugins.x86" folder. As expected the program would not load. Then I removed Sharepoint.pvp. There was still no change. Then I removed Dropbox.pvp. There was still no change. Then I removed Google.pvp. Magic!!!: the program loaded all of a sudden.

So then I restored all of the plugins again and just removed Google.pvp. Unfortunately there was no change. Then I removed Dropbox.pvp and there was still no change. Then I removed Sharepoint.pvp and once again Magic!!!: the program loaded.

So from my meager efforts it appears that all three of these plugins: Sharepoint.pvp, Google.pvp, and Dropbox.pvp need to be removed for Editor version 7.0.324.2 to load on Windows XP SP3. Maybe the development team can use this information for a possible fix in a later version.

Thanks again for your assistance.

pdfx-nitsua
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

pdfx-nitsua wrote:So from my meager efforts it appears that all three of these plugins: Sharepoint.pvp, Google.pvp, and Dropbox.pvp need to be removed for Editor version 7.0.324.2 to load on Windows XP SP3. Maybe the development team can use this information for a possible fix in a later version.
In my test here I found that the Google.pvp plugin didn't need to be removed personally, but thankfully the devs are now running full force on this issue, and are working on fixing it as we speak :)

Support@pdf-xchange.com