How to deactivate automatic combining of text fields?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mogul76
User

How to deactivate automatic combining of text fields?

Post by mogul76 »

I purchased PDF-XChange Editor Plus a few days ago and have already done quite a lot of work with it (mainly forms editing). There is a lot to love about the software!

There is one thing, which annoys me, though. While moving text fields on a page, PDF-XChange Editor oftentimes automatically groups them with other text fields that have the same or similar vertical position, thereby making later editing/repositioning of said fields tedious.

Can a user turn off the "software intelligence" described above? Is there any possibility to ungroup text fields that have been automatically combined?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: How to deactivate automatic combining of text fields?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello mogul76,

Welcome to our forums and thanks for your post!
The Editor does this grouping so that you can easier edit larger blocks of text in the future.
However, as elements of the PDF structure, these text elements should remain separate.
Please open the contents pane, and you will be able to see them listed individually - so that you can click on the one you need - and only that will be selected and can then be moved independently from other elements.

Regards,
Stefan
mogul76
User

Post by mogul76 »

Hello Stefan,

Just after writing my post, I figured out the solution described by you on my own. Thanks anyway for your fast answer :-)

Perhaps you could implement a button in a future release of the Editor to deactivate/reactivate the auto grouping feature, thereby granting more control to the user.

I really do enjoy working with PDF-XChange Editor Plus. I have a few PDFs which are very difficult to scroll through in your biggest competitor’s viewer. However, in PDF-XChange Editor they just work fine.

Also, I find the UI of your software very intuitive.

Keep up the good work and cheers,

mogul76/Frédérik
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Thanks for the suggestion mogul76,

We'll consider it, but keep in mind adding too many options for the little things leads to a very cluttered interface.
Have a good day!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com