Moving all pages freezes editor - bug

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bschnick
User

Moving all pages freezes editor - bug

Post by bschnick »

When moving all of the pages from one document to another through drag and drop the editor will freeze as it tries to delete the pages in the original document. Needless to say, no problem moving any number of pages less than the total pages. Could there be a dialog to ask if you are sure and to delete the original document if yes?

Thanks,

Bryan
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Moving all pages freezes editor - bug

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello,
Thank you for your post. The pages of the original file should not be deleted. Could you please go to Help> About and let us know what version and build you are running?
Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
bschnick
User

Post by bschnick »

Version 6.0 Build 322.7

I am holding shift button down as I drag to purposely move pages as opposed to copy pages.

The reason why I do this is I receive pdf's with pages out of order and it is easier for me to drag them to a new document to order the pages as opposed to trying to reorder them within the same document. The problem is when I drag the last pages.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello,
Thank you for the post. You are running an older version and build. Please install the latest: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads

I hope you find that this resolves the issue you have experienced.
Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
bschnick
User

Post by bschnick »

Thanks. Just updated and it did resolve the issue. However, it looks like the move command was taken away when using drag and drop. Instead you have to cut and then paste. Is this correct or am I missing the correct key combination?

The good news is that it will no longer allow me to select all of the pages and then select cut!

Thanks for all your help!

Bryan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Brian,

Glad to hear that the originally reported problem is fixed with the new build.

As for the moving of pages - it definitely still works with Drag and drop for me.
Can you please check if your files are e.g. security restricted or maybe digitally signed and that's why the operation does not work?

Regards,
Stefan
bschnick
User

Post by bschnick »

Hi Stefan,

I can copy pages with the drag and drop. I cannot move pages with the drag and drop. I have tried multiple documents. File properties show no security. I can cut and paste, just not move by drag and drop. I have tried all key combinations of shift, ctrl and alt. The copy symbol (plus sign) at the upper left of the thumbnail when using drag and drop never changes.

Thanks!

Bryan
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Bryan,

I am seeing the same thing on my end, but can also confirm this is intended.
When moving a page within the same document it should by default Cut and Paste. But when moving between multiple documents, as you stated in the initial post, it will by default Copy and Paste, so as to maintain the original document in a reusable state.

If you are wanting to cut and paste from the old document into a new one you can use CTRL+X to Cut and CTRL+V to paste in the Thumbnails pane.

Hope that helps!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
bschnick
User

Post by bschnick »

Thank you very much for all of your help and your responses.

I do understand that the default would be cut and paste for the same document and copy and paste for different documents. However, I do not understand why the move command for drag and drop between documents was removed from the new version. While cut and paste does work, it requires extra steps and can be very cumbersome when you are attempting to paste within a page range and not just at the end of the document. Can you please add this to your feature request?

Thanks!

Bryan
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Yes I can certainly put in a feature request for you, currently we are focusing mostly on bug fixes though, and of course, as per usual, I cannot guarantee anything, but I will certainly try.

You have a great day!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
michael805
User

Post by michael805 »

I just wanted to add my support for this feature. It would be to be able to move pages via the thumbnail pane with a shift-drag.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Michael, I have updated the ticket after consulting with a colleague, We've decided the best functionality for the this would be either a right click and drag as Microsoft has implemented for windows itself, or a CTRL+Drag/Alt+Drag option.
This feature was intended in an earlier build, so it seems that the implementation was simply put off a bit. It should be in the next build.

Support@pdf-xchange.com