PDF-XChange Editor constantly crashing

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

hansx
User

PDF-XChange Editor constantly crashing

Post by hansx »

I have a strange problem with PDF-Xchange Editor: While the portable version works flawlessly on my home system (Win7 64bit), on my work machine (Win 10) the program vashines after a couple of minutes, that means it does not crash but the program window closes by itself without any notice.

That's an annoying thing as I think that this software is really great as a PDF reader and I was so glad that I finally found a great piece of software to read my pdf books with.

I'm on the fence of buying, but I'm not sure if the retail version behaves like the portable version which I'm testing right now.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: PDF-XChange Editor constantly crashing

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Hansx,

Can i ask for your system Specs? How much RAM do you have What kind of processor, and which version of the portable editor you are running?
I don't believe this is a common issue, and id like to get to the bottom of it.

If you are considering purchasing the full suite, I would recommend downloading in and just testing the features in trial mode. It should not, as there are more associations to ensure it is slightly more stable than the portable version; but this way you can ensure the same issue does not happen with the full suite.

Nonetheless, if you do this, can i ask you to keep the portable version handy to help me figure out what is causing that issue?
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
hansx
User

Post by hansx »

Thanks for your info, I'll try to figure out the system specs on my work PC tomorrow.

Unfortunately I cannot install the trial version there as I don't have admin rights on my work place. That's why I chose the portable version for testing. It's great that the software opens all my PDFs exactly where I left them, that's the reason I use it both at home and at work.

And it works perfectly on my home Win 7 system, I use it every day for reading.

All I can say is that I haven't come across any other portable software on my workplace PC until now with this behaviour, a strange thing indeed.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Ahhh,
I didn't know you had restrictions at the workplace, It is possible that the portable version is sending a domain control flag to your IT department, Have you let them know you are using the program yet?

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi Hansx.

Firstly please update to the latest version of product, if its necessary. Then, when program crashed again, please make a crash-dump and send it to us for investigation:

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... estigation

Thanks and
Best Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
hansx
User

Post by hansx »

Hello,

I'm using the lastet portable 32bit version from your website on a Windows 10 Pro 64bit machine, version 1709, AMD 10-9700 with 16gb RAM.

I also tried using the compatibility mode (for Win7), but sadly it also doesn't work. Maybe I'll try in Win95-mode then...

For different reasons I don't want to announce that I am using the program, but it's the only one out of a dozen of portable programs which run without any problems on a daily basis.

I also checked the portable PDFX-change viewer - no problems here as well, no crashing/vanishing. But PDFX-change Edit is so much better... :( Just perfect for reading/annotating pdf books.

Where could I get a crash dump? The program does not 'crash' in a normal way, it just disappears after 3-5 minutes without notice.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello hansx,

Did you read the instructions here?
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgebase/459

You might not have the permissions for the registry changes required though!

Regards,
Stefan
hansx
User

Post by hansx »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello hansx,

Did you read the instructions here?
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgebase/459

You might not have the permissions for the registry changes required though!

Regards,
Stefan
No I cannot mess with the reg.

But I have this path on my machine: %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps

But there's no PDFedit crash dump in it. I guess it's because it does not 'crash' in the normal way.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello hansx,

Yes without access to the registry to make the changes suggested in the KB article it will be hard to get a crash dump in your case.

It is probably time to ask one of the IT guys in your company to take a look and hopefully he will be able to see what is causing this silent closing of the Editor, or maybe at least do the registry changes that will allow you to generate the dump file!

Regards,
Stefan
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi Hansx,

If you're able to, as your access to the system is restricted, we could try a teamviewer remote session, assuming you have it installed already since i doubt you'd be allowed to install it.? if you do we could still try to remote in and take a look that way.
If you do Please send an email to support@pdf-xchange.com with the details.
If not I'm not sure that we can help further without you contacting your local IT Department.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
hansx
User

Post by hansx »

Hello again,
just a short update: The lastest update seems to fix the problem, atm I'm testing the portable version of 7.0.324.0, and no more crashes at least until now. That's great!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Great to hear that hansx!

Cheers,
Stefan