Open to page not working on IE-plugin

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

tm8544
User

Open to page not working on IE-plugin

Post by tm8544 »

If I set Open to page in Initial settings to some value other than 1, documents in Internet Explorer still open to page 1.

On desktop, PDF Tracker Editor respects the setting and opens to the page I have set.

Version is 7.0.323.2
Windows 10 x64
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Open to page not working on IE-plugin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Tim,

The settings for IE and for the stand alone Editor are stored separately, so that you can e.g. have only a few buttons in IE to maximize the area left for document rendering, and many more menus and toolbars in the stand alone Editor. Please try to set that same option from inside IE - and it should stick.

Regards,
Stefan
tm8544
User

Post by tm8544 »

This is not a case of settings for IE and for the stand alone Editor (which in my case are similar), but initial settings stored in a pdf-document.

It is easy to reproduce: Create a document with a stand alone Editor, press Ctrl-D, select Initial settings, set Open to page = 2 and then save the document, then copy it to the http-server.
On browser, it should open the document on page 2. Instead, it opens to page 1.

There was no problem with this on version 6.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello tm8544,

Thank you for your post. This works correctly for me. I suspect that as stefan suggested, this is settings specific for the Plug in. Simply open any PDF in the IE Plug-in, and go to File> Preferences> Page Display. Under Initial Display, please ensure that "Respect document's settings" is selected:

You should find that the document is indeed opened to the page specified.
Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
tm8544
User

Post by tm8544 »

Below is my Document settings of IE plugin, but it makes no difference if I check Respect documents settings or not, it does not work as expected.
Also on desktop version, Respect documents settings makes no diference, even if not set it works ok.

Please, test this link, does it open on page 2 like it should : https://ht23.dy.fi/julkinen/open_to_page_2.pdf
Initial view for the document is set like this
--------
After some tests, it seems that if Default page layout in IE Plugin settings is set to Continuous, IE Plugin does not open the document to page 2.
If Default page layout is set to e.g. Single page, IE Plugin opens the document to page 2.
Desktop Editor is not so picky about Default page layout settings, also Continuous opens to page 2
In this case IE Plugin and Desktop Editor do not work the same way.

Per document initial view settings are as above.

Despite the page layout settings on either the program or the document, document should be opened to the given page.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello tm8544,

Thanks for the follow up.
Indeed the "Continuous" setting should not affect the behaviour and the file needs to open on page 2 as you want it to.
I will ask a colleague from the dev team to take a look at this and advise!

Cheers,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello tm8544,

Just ran some more tests along with a colleague from the dev team.
I could reproduce the problem with the settings not being respected immediately after opening IE and launching the pdf file as the first thing.
However. if I would then open a new tab and try to open the same file in there - it will correctly open on the second page.
So it seems like the issue is with the initial starting.

That is with the current live build however, as my colleagues from the dev team that are working with a pre-release version of the next build could not reproduce it, so it seems to have been fixed already. The next release is expected around the end of the month.

Regards,
Stefan
tm8544
User

Post by tm8544 »

Ok, thanks.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:D
tm8544
User

Post by tm8544 »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello tm8544,

Just ran some more tests along with a colleague from the dev team.
I could reproduce the problem with the settings not being respected immediately after opening IE and launching the pdf file as the first thing.
However. if I would then open a new tab and try to open the same file in there - it will correctly open on the second page.
So it seems like the issue is with the initial starting.

That is with the current live build however, as my colleagues from the dev team that are working with a pre-release version of the next build could not reproduce it, so it seems to have been fixed already. The next release is expected around the end of the month.

Regards,
Stefan
I reopened this, because the problem still exists with version 7.0.324.0. As far as I can see, there is no change in the behaviour of the Editor.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Tim,

Sorry to hear this is still a problem for you. Will try to reproduce it myself now, and if successfully - will bring it back to the dev team for further investigation.

Regards,
Stefan
tm8544
User

Post by tm8544 »

OK. If You need more information of my editor's settings, let me know.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks Tim,

Certainly will do!

Cheers,
Stefan