Form Fields

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

Form Fields

Post by Arnold »

I use the attached notification form quite a lot (Pinellas County Form.pdf). I tried importing and exporting form fields with mixed results (Pinellas County Calculated Field.png) (Pinellas County Form Import Results.jpg). The calculated fields appear to become inoperative in the Editor by simply resetting the form. The .xfdf files created by the Editor when imported had no fields of any type filled in. Only the Editor was tested on both Windows 7 & XP as results were fine for the Reader and Acrobat on XP. Same problems with the Editor on both Windows XP and 7 machines.
Pinellas County Calculated Field.png
Pinellas County Form Import Results.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed also that selecting dates from the calendar did not work in the form (Pinellas County Date Field.png). I then tried adding a date field to a blank pdf I created in the Editor. The date field worked initially, but then showed a crazy date if I changed it (New Form Date Fields.png).

All of the date stuff seems to occur only on my Windows XP machine, and not the Windows 7 one. I have changed some of the regional settings on the XP machine, so don't know if that could cause the problem (Regional Options XP.png). No way to test in the Reader or Acrobat 7 as there is no calendar drop down to choose from.
Pinellas County Date Field.png
Pinellas County Date Field.png (2.71 KiB) Viewed 2562 times
New Form Date Fields.png
New Form Date Fields.png (4.05 KiB) Viewed 2562 times
Regional Options XP.png
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One cosmetic thing I noticed. In the Fields Pane the buttons for sort order do not change when clicked on. The sort changes, but the correct button does not become highlighted. If I switched to another open file and returned, the correct button was then highlighted (Sort Order Buttons.png).
Sort Order Buttons.png
Sort Order Buttons.png (8.94 KiB) Viewed 2562 times
Attachments
Pinellas County Form.pdf
(226.51 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Form Fields

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hey Arnold!

So I've grabbed your file there and I'm not able to reproduce any of these issues, the reset form buttons (both the one on the top of your document, and the one built into the editor) work perfectly fine and don't break any of the calculated fields. I'm going to get someone else here to give it a shot and see if its an environment issue possibly.
As for the date stuff, like you said i cant reproduce it, but it is probably a windows XP issue or to do with your region settings, have you tried resetting them to defaults and seeing how it goes?
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Something strange here then as I just tried it in Windows 7 and this is what I got when importing my exported data. So something does not look right in Windows 7 either. The info I exported and imported should have shown a calculated amount of only $360.00 not $2,800.00. But I think there appeared to me to be more wrong than that. I will email over the form I exported from and the resulting files in an email. They have client information in them.

Thanks.
2018-01-15 14_20_00-Pinellas County Form_ - PDF-XChange Editor.png
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Arnold,
Thank you for the post.
Arnold wrote:I use the attached notification form quite a lot (Pinellas County Form.pdf). I tried importing and exporting form fields with mixed results (Pinellas County Calculated Field.png) (Pinellas County Form Import Results.jpg). The calculated fields appear to become inoperative in the Editor by simply resetting the form. The .xfdf files created by the Editor when imported had no fields of any type filled in. Only the Editor was tested on both Windows 7 & XP as results were fine for the Reader and Acrobat on XP. Same problems with the Editor on both Windows XP and 7 machines.

Pinellas County Calculated Field.png
Pinellas County Form Import Results.jpg
I was able to reproduce the first part of this issue. When exporting the form data to XFDF, then importing it does not result in the filled form as you have reported. However, even after resetting the form after importing the XFDF data the calculatory fields are still functions correctly.

It seems I am unable to break the auto-calculated fields.
Arnold wrote:I noticed also that selecting dates from the calendar did not work in the form (Pinellas County Date Field.png). I then tried adding a date field to a blank pdf I created in the Editor. The date field worked initially, but then showed a crazy date if I changed it (New Form Date Fields.png).

All of the date stuff seems to occur only on my Windows XP machine, and not the Windows 7 one. I have changed some of the regional settings on the XP machine, so don't know if that could cause the problem (Regional Options XP.png). No way to test in the Reader or Acrobat 7 as there is no calendar drop down to choose from.

Pinellas County Date Field.png
New Form Date Fields.png
Regional Options XP.png
As for this issue, I have tried to reproduce it in windows 10 and am not seeing this issue. I suspect this issue relates specifically to Windows XP. I have let our dev team know about this and they are investigating if this can be fixed for XP.
Arnold wrote:One cosmetic thing I noticed. In the Fields Pane the buttons for sort order do not change when clicked on. The sort changes, but the correct button does not become highlighted. If I switched to another open file and returned, the correct button was then highlighted (Sort Order Buttons.png).

Sort Order Buttons.png
I am not sure I understand this one. Or at least I am not seeing it. Would be able to post a short video about what you see there?
Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I just noticed something I hadn't before. I think the problem is solely with importing the data. I think you guys are correct that the calculation is okay. If you look at the 2 screen shots, there are 2 calculations that total into one. The quantity in the 2nd field was changed upon import also. The screen shot of incorrect imported values from the Windows 7 machine. So that is not just an XP thing. If both fields are changed back to their correct values, the calculation is correct - $360.00. Sorry.

With the fields pane I actually added the 2 buttons to the toolbar from the Commands list. After that is done you can see what is happening. Change the sort using the 2 buttons. The buttons do not change highlight.

I would appreciate it if you guys could look into the date problem with XP. Now that I have thought about it, my way of formatting the date should not affect that field, should it?

Thanks. I know I am a pain.
Exported Data.png
Imporetd Data.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Arnold wrote:Something strange here then as I just tried it in Windows 7 and this is what I got when importing my exported data. So something does not look right in Windows 7 either. The info I exported and imported should have shown a calculated amount of only $360.00 not $2,800.00. But I think there appeared to me to be more wrong than that. I will email over the form I exported from and the resulting files in an email. They have client information in them.

Thanks.

2018-01-15 14_20_00-Pinellas County Form_ - PDF-XChange Editor.png
About this one, i did find that while i was trying to test it out initially before passing it on to patrick, but i found out that resetting the forms also reset the fee due(SF/LF) field from 160-420 SF or 260-420 LF to 7001-10,000 LF+SF and assumed that it was intended to do that.
as well as resetting the Fee due cubic feet to >100 Cubic Feet instead of 0-34 Cubic Feet like you have it in the screenshots.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I think that the form is supposed to be reset to the minimum values and $0.00 when it is reset. I remember it working that way at one point. Most of the time, I just copy and use a previously filled in form that has the Owner, Consultant, etc. info filled in to save time. So there is no resetting. It looks like it defaults to 7001 - 10,000 in one and >100 when it is reset now. I have old versions of it that I will look at later.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Alright, thanks Arnold! Hope to hear back :)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I found some old versions of the form and I see that reset has been that way for a few versions. The reason I never notice is because I never use a pure blank (reset) form. I always use one that has at least sections VI and IX already filled in with our company info. Obviously I must have saved the template form I use with minimum quantities and amount due of $0.00 also.

Still, there is a problem with importing calculated fields into into the Editor. The Editor, whether in XP or 7, is the only program that does not correctly import the info/quantities I exported. You can see it in my previous post. The other programs import the correct quantities and amount due of $360.00. The Editor does not.

Also the .xfdf files the Editor produces appear to be no good. When they are imported every field of any type is blank. Even when imported back into the Editor itself..

Thanks.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Arnold,
Thanks for your post. I have discussed the import form data issue with the dev team as well.
We hope to have it fixed soon.
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America