suggestions for the installer

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

angel herraez
User

suggestions for the installer

Post by angel herraez »

A couple of suggestions for improving the installer:

1. An option to select which languages one wants installed.
It's great that Editor includes so many localizations, but I don't need several dozens of files in my hard disk that are for languages I will never use (in the several "Languages" subfolders of the program). An interface during custom installation that would allow to pick languages wanted would be very good. Other software has that.

2. A really working and stable choice of the folder where one wants the program to be installed
One can apparently choose the folder where the program should be installed. This is a standard, and it works, but not always. On subsequent updates of the software, the initially defined target folder is not remembered, so in some occasions I have ended up with the new version installed in the default folder. I do not want to be forced to have the program in Program Files/Tracker Software/, and I want even less to end up with a mixture of files across several folders (the one I specified in the first installation and the default one)

Thanks for an excellent piece of software overall!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: suggestions for the installer

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

We are taking about these internally, the Installer should remember the location during updates already,so we will treat it as a bug fix.
As for localization, the space taken by each language is fairly minute, compared to modern storage drives, which is why we haven't done this yet, Ill bring it up at the next team meeting as a discussion topic.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
angel herraez
User

Post by angel herraez »

Thanks, Daniel
I agree the disk space taken is not large, but it's more elegant not to have them.
Also, for me as a translator of Editor, finding the Spanish files among the crowd is rather cumbersome :wink:
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for your feedback angel herraez,

It will certainly be noted and taken into account when those features are updated next time!

Regards,
Stefan
angel herraez
User

Post by angel herraez »

One more thing:
I've just done a whole uninstall and fresh install of Editor 7.0.323.2
I chose a custom installation location.
  • Editor was correctly installed there.
  • but these were all installed in "Tracker Software" folder:
    • PDF-XChange Lite
    • Shell Extensions
    • Update
    • Vault
This is not what I expect of a well-behaved software when I choose custom installation location.
And, as I said, subsequent updates do not remember the custom location.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks Angel,

I have passed this to our devs working on the installation packages for investigation!

Cheers,
Stefan