PDF-Xchange Lite 7

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

PDF-Xchange Lite 7

Post by Arnold »

A new version of PDF-Xchange Lite seems to have been installed in program files with Editor 7. However, it does not have a version number like version 6, and does not show up as a destination to print to. PDF-Xchange Lite 6 is still installed and working presumably because I still have a portable version of Editor 6 installed.
2017-12-22 07_55_37-C__Program Files_Tracker Software - FreeCommander XE.png
2017-12-22 07_55_37-C__Program Files_Tracker Software - FreeCommander XE.png (10.43 KiB) Viewed 4055 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PDF-Xchange Lite 7

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Arnold,

Did you reboot your machine after the installation of the latest Editor build?
And did you install that latest build from a package downloaded manually, and if you did was this the .exe or .msi, or did you use the Updater Tool?

Regards,
Stefan
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Yes I rebooted both the Windows XP and 7 machines and that did not fix it. I installed Editor 7 on the XP machine from a downloaded zip installer file. After I realized the printer driver was not functioning, I downloaded the Lite installer and tried installing it that way. With Windows 7, I just went to Help -> Check for Updates and let the program update itself.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

PDF-XChange Lite as with the Standard now does not have Version number in the List - but if you bring up the printers list and enter the preferences/properties it is there in the 'About' window for you info if needed.

Can you advise in what applications you have looked to see if its available to print with ?

Also with XP specifically the MS XPS patch has to be installed to provide all necessary functionality to allow the driver to work - is XP fully service patched and did you have Lite V6 installed on the XP Machine previously ?

Thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

The only version of the lite printer that shows up in the list of available printers using Control Panel is version 6. This is in both operating systems. So it is really not available to be used by any program. Windows XP Professional sp 3, and Windows 7 Home Premium sp 1.

I have version 6 of the Editor portable version installed on the XP machine along with the Viewer as well as version 7. The Windows 7 machine only has version 7 installed and the latest version of the Viewer.

If I look in Tracker sub-directory of Programs on the Windows 7 machine there is no directory for Lite version 6, but there is one for the new version. However, Lite version 6 show up in the list of printers and still appears to be working.
2017-12-22 10_49_37-System Properties.png
2017-12-22 10_49_37-System Properties.png (2.41 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
Attachments
2017-12-22 10_47_38-Printers and Faxes.png
2017-12-22 10_47_38-Printers and Faxes.png (8.84 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Arnold,

please excuse me if I am being obtuse, what is your desired outcome here? Do you want both V6 and V7 Lite on the Win 7 box?

I'm not sure why yo would have a mix of install folders and versions listed in Devices and Printers. My suggestion would be to uninstall versions yo do not want prior to installing the new version.

Have I missed the point?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I have no desired outcome. I think you may be misjudging my motives here. I was simply trying to point out a problem that could affect other users. I never even use the Lite printer drivers.

Here are 2 screenshots from Windows 7. Only version 7 of the Editor is installed. Lite printer version 6 shows up in Control Panel and is usable in all programs, yet there is no sub-directory for it in the Tracker directory. However, the new version is in a sub-directory in Tracker and yet does not show up in Control Panel and cannot be detected by any program. I am sorry if I have wasted you guys time, but that does not seem at all right to me.
2017-12-22 10_51_29-Devices and Printers.png
2017-12-22 10_51_29-Devices and Printers.png (6.75 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
2017-12-22 16_33_00-Tracker Software - FreeCommander XE.png
2017-12-22 16_33_00-Tracker Software - FreeCommander XE.png (9.54 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Arnold,
I have no desired outcome. I think you may be misjudging my motives here.
I mean no judgement, I'm just looking to see what I can do to help. It's not a waste of time. :-)

I would like to see if there is a generic issue with upgrading from V6 to V7 on a Windows 7 machine or whether this is an anomaly. Can you tell me if your Win 7 machine is 64 or 32 bit?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I figured out that the printer labeled as 6 in the list of printers was actually version 7. John had stated in his post that there would no longer be version numbers. The Printing Preferences dialog box was cut off in XP, and it seemed like the settings for embedding fonts was still not being retained.

I then read that a couple of people who actually use the drivers were having trouble printing from Word. At that point I just uninstalled it from both computers. Windows XP sp3 32 bit, and Windows 7 sp 1 64 bit.

Thanks.
2017-12-23 01_00_07-PDF-XChange Lite V6 Printing Preferences.png
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks Arnold,
so where do we stand now? You said:
At that point I just uninstalled it from both computers.
Does that mean you re-installed and the printers are right now or that you still have the issue and no printers at all?
sincerely
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I uninstalled the printers from the computers. I don't use them.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hey Arnold,

Thanks for getting back to us. Because this is an XP issue, and you are the only reporting it - I am afraid this case would be considered stalled for now. If you want to revisit it in the future, do not hesitate to contact us.

Do note that there are few things we can do when an issue occurs in XP.

All the best to you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I see over on the forum for the printer drivers that someone sees truncated screens even in Windows 7. So it appears it is not an OS problem. I had forgotten there was a forum just for the printer drivers as I never use them. No wonder there are no posts about the drivers in here. Slaps forehead.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Arnold,

Ah, yes I was not aware of that topic ( https://www.pdf-xchange.com/forum3 ... ed#p119769 ), my apologies. It would seem that Paul has already launched an investigation into this. Thank you for your diligence!

Have a wonderful weekend!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest