Editor v7 doesn't work on Linux + Wine

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ArchStanton
User

Editor v7 doesn't work on Linux + Wine

Post by ArchStanton »

Hello, I know XChange Editor isn't supposed to run on Linux but until version 6 it worked quite good with Wine. With the latest version I have some troubles:
• with the .exe installer it exits with an error just after clicking on "Install" in the first dialog. The error code is "0x80004005 - (null)". I can't see the log.
• with the msi installers (both 32 and 64 bit) the installation ends without problems (I did a complete installation w/o the XPS essentials pack). When I launch it it crashes immediately with "The program PDFXEdit.exe has encountered a serious error and needs to close...". "Show details" shows nothing.
• the portable version gives the same error as the msi.

I've attached the outputs of my terminal.

My system:
• Ubuntu 16.04
• Wine 1.6.2
• PDFXEdit 7.0.323.2.

I hope that you can take care of this.
Attachments
terminal's-opinion.zip
(3.57 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Editor v7 doesn't work on Linux + Wine

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi ArchStanton,

thanks for the post and report. We will look into this. I must confess to being surprised as I use Ubuntu on a daily basis with the Editor.

Admittedly I am running Zesty (17.04) and wine 1.8.7 (from the repositories) as you can see. I installed using the Pro 64 bit MSI. It looks even better to me that 7.0.323.1 which had rendering issues.

I will test with your versions in the coming days, hopefully before Christmas.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

Thanks. It's not a big issue then, I can use v6 until I upgrade to Ubuntu 18.04 next year. You're the best. Have an happy 2018 :-)
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for your patience - have a great 2018 yourself when it comes :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Last night I did find issues with 7.0.323.2 on Ubuntu 16.04. If you want to grab 7.0.323 I had that working under 16.04 with the distro wine libraries.

We will look into it in the new year.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp »

Hi ArchStanton,
Editor 7.0.323.2 works in WINE 1.9.20 or newer (this is not the minimal compatible WINE version - just the version we tested the Editor in).
Can you update your WINE? No need to upgrade the entire Ubuntu, just add WINE repository to the Ubuntu package manager and update to the latest stable WINE version (2.0.3 currently).
See here for details.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

On xenial you can get the latest from the wine repos and that will work, just add them to apt:

Code: Select all

paul@paul-desktop:~$ sudo apt-add-repository https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
paul@paul-desktop:~$ sudo apt update
paul@paul-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable

paul@paul-desktop:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release 
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=16.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=xenial
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS"

paul@paul-desktop:~$ wine --version
wine-2.0.3
It installs OK. Both the Editor and Pro MSI installers complete the install process, we are still working on the issue with the text boxes.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

Hello, sorry for the late answer. I had to reinstall Ubuntu and upgraded to 17.10. I've installed v. 7.0.323.2 successfully with Wine 2.0.2 from the msi 64b, and tried the portable version too. It crashes often when I add sticky notes, but I'm using settings imported from a file I made with v6. Can it cause issues?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi ArchStanton,

Thanks for the info. - It's entirely possible. Please backup the settings file, if you haven't already, then try resetting your settings and see if that helps.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

I tried again with the default settings right after a clean wine install. It keeps crashing when I use sticky notes. May I ask what your wine setup is like? (WINEARCH, winecfg settings... Also, do I need Mono or other packages?)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello ArchStanton,

We've asked a colleague from the dev team that has a Linux to follow up here with additional info, but he has a few tasks on his plate, so apologies for the delay! We will be looking at this as soon as possible though!

Regards,
Stefan
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello ArchStanton,
Our tests show there should be no such problems with 32-bit editor in WINE 3.0.
If you still have issues with 32-bit editor please try using native 32-bit WINE environment. To create this environment do the following command (you can use an arbitrary path instead of ~/.wine32):

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winecfg

Then run the editor using the following command:

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 wine PDFXEdit.exe
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

Thanks, I'll test it and report back in a few days.
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

I've tried the .msi 32bit: ran

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winecfg
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 wine msiexec /i EditorV7.x86.msi
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 wine .wine32/drive_c/Program\ Files/Tracker\ Software/PDF\ Editor/PDFXEdit.exe
tested it quickly and it worked.
The portable version didn't work instead, and after having tried that one, the version installed from the msi stopped working too. Not even deleting ~/.wine32 and re-running the commands above made it work. My wine version is 2.0.2, though.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

What do you mean saying "stopped working"? You got back the same issue with sticky notes?
ArchStanton wrote:Not even deleting ~/.wine32 and re-running the commands above made it work.
Please also make sure that all WINE service processes are stopped.
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

Roman - Tracker Supp wrote:What do you mean saying "stopped working"? You got back the same issue with sticky notes?
Yes.
Roman - Tracker Supp wrote:Please also make sure that all WINE service processes are stopped.
How can I do that? Thanks for helping me out.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Arch,

you can see what wine processes are running with ps aux |grep wine

paul@paul-pc:~$ ps aux |grep wine
paul      2378  0.2  0.0  30192 12880 ?        Ss   Jan24  21:01 /usr/lib/wine/wineserver64 -p0
paul      2390  0.0  0.0 2027128 11360 ?       Sl   Jan24   0:12 C:\windows\system32\winedevice.exe MountMgr
paul      4662  0.2  0.0  20296 17432 ?        Ss   Jan15  47:09 /opt/teamviewer/tv_bin/wine/bin/wineserver
paul     11590  0.0  0.0  14240   996 pts/5    S+   07:17   0:00 grep --color=auto wine
Then kill accordingly. In this case there is MountMgr and TeamViewer running as well as the wineserver which is process 2378
https://linux.die.net/man/1/kill
https://linux.die.net/man/1/killall
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

I've deleted the .wine32 directory, with no wine process in sight I've issued the same three commands as the last time (with XE v7.0.324 this time), but it still gets stuck with sticky notes.

I've tried making and using a ".wine33" directory and neither that worked.

If it's of any use, my system information is as follows

Wine build: wine-2.0.2 (Ubuntu 2.0.2-2ubuntu1)
Platform: i386
Version: Windows XP
Host system: Linux
Host version: 4.13.0-32-generic
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for the details ArchStanton,

I do not have a Linux + Wine machine here at my end, so will ask Paul to take a look when he gets to the Canadian office and advise if he has other ideas that you can try!

Regards,
Stefan
Don_Pedro
User

Post by Don_Pedro »

Please allow me to join this discussion as I have a similar problem with XChange Editor and Wine (Linux).

System information:
    Wine build: wine-3.0
    Platform: x86_64
    Version: Windows 7
    Host system: Linux
    Host version: 4.15.2-041502-generic

user@pc ~ $ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.3
DISTRIB_CODENAME=sylvia
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia"  # (based on Ubuntu Xenial 16.04)

Installation of PDF Tools (including PDF XChange Editor and PDF XChange Printer) without any problem. I was using the 32/64-bit combined .zip/.exe installation file. I installed the latest release 7.0.324.2. The problem is the same with version 7.0.323.2 that I tried before.

XChange Editor is running and at first appears to be working as usual.

However, the Editor crashes after opening more than one file (or after opening several files - I cannot fully reproduce the situation). An alert box pops up, telling me that an error has occured and the program needs to be closed. Error log attached.

I cannot figure out what might be wrong. There is just one thing that seems weird to me. The error message starts with
"Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 64-bit code (0x00000001804b7e99)."
However, PDF XChange Editor is installed in the virtual (x86) program directory for 32-bit applications (see log file):
C:\Program Files (x86)\Tracker Software\PDF Editor\PDFXEdit.exe

Do you have any idea what may be the problem? Thank you.
Attachments
Wine_Error_Report-2018-02-11.zip
(3.47 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Don_Pedro wrote:There is just one thing that seems weird to me. The error message starts with
"Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 64-bit code (0x00000001804b7e99)."
However, PDF XChange Editor is installed in the virtual (x86) program directory for 32-bit applications (see log file)
Hello Don_Pedro,
The log shows the exception occured in pdfxeditcore.x64.dll module that is a 64-bit Editor module. So you definitely run 64-bit editor.
As far as I know WINE had some problems running 32-bit applications in 64-bit environment. So please use a 32-bit WINE environment (WINEPREFIX) and install 32-bit Editor into it.
See earlier messages in this topic for details.
Don_Pedro
User

Post by Don_Pedro »

Hello Roman,
thanks for your quick help on a Sunday.

Just a short feedback. I created a separate 32-bit WINE environment (~/.wine32) as suggested in post no. 12 above and installed PDF Tools (including PDF-XChange Editor and PDF-XChange Printer Lite) in it, using the .zip/.exe installation file. So far everything is working as it is supposed to do. :)

Only minor problem: no entries for the PDF programs show up in the WINE startup menu. This has to be done manually, using the menu editor. But this is just a minor inconvenience.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Don_Pedro,

Is the Lite printing driver also working properly for you?
Can you 'print' to it and does it generate PDF files correctly?

Cheers,
Stefan
Don_Pedro
User

Post by Don_Pedro »

Hello Stefan,
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Is the Lite printing driver also working properly for you?
Can you 'print' to it and does it generate PDF files correctly?
No. The virtual PDF printer does show up as a printer in the PDF-XChange Editor print menu only, but not in the Linux printer overview or in other application programs (such as Firefox or Thunderbird). I cannot create any output with the virtual printer.

I asked a similar question in the XChange Printer subforum, but apparently there is no way to activate a virtual Windows printer in the WINE environment.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Don_Pedro,

Yes - that's why I asked - as I also saw Roman's post that our drivers do not work under Wine.
So unfortunately only Tools and the Editor can be used in such an environment.

Regards,
Stefan
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Don_Pedro wrote:Just a short feedback. I created a separate 32-bit WINE environment (~/.wine32) as suggested in post no. 12 above and installed PDF Tools (including PDF-XChange Editor and PDF-XChange Printer Lite) in it, using the .zip/.exe installation file. So far everything is working as it is supposed to do. :)

Only minor problem: no entries for the PDF programs show up in the WINE startup menu. This has to be done manually, using the menu editor. But this is just a minor inconvenience.
Thanks for the feedback, Don_Pedro. Glad that the Editor works for you.
You might also want to create a .desktop file (displayed as an item in the Ubuntu Launcher) that will launch the Editor using the appropriate WINE environment, seamlessly as an ordinary Linux application. To do this you can run the Editor (either from the terminal using a command like this:

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 wine .wine32/drive_c/Program\ Files/Tracker\ Software/PDF\ Editor/PDFXEdit.exe
or through the WINE Start menu) then right-click on the new item in the Launcher and select "Lock to Launcher".
meho_r
User

Post by meho_r »

Regarding sticky notes crashes, I've encountered those too, both in wine 32- and 64-bit. None of the suggestions from earlier posts worked for me. However, I discovered by chance that closing the document (note: the document, not the application) and reopening it solved the issue (on Arch-based Netrunner 64-bit distro, wine v3.5).

When I start the Editor, open a PDF document, and add a sticky note to it, the note's pop-up window doesn't show up at all (left part of the attached image). This means that, without exception, the app is going to crash after next couple of clicks; if I click on the sticky note icon or right-click on it and try to open it, the app crashes immediately.

But, if I start the Editor and open, close, then reopen the PDF document prior to adding a sticky note, everything works properly (right part of the attached image).

This is a strange "solution", but it might be worth giving it a try if everything else fails.
Attachments
pdf-xchange-editor-sticky-note.png
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Have you all tried 7.0.325.0?

I have run the 64 bit MSI for the current build of the editor https://www.pdf-xchange.com/ProV7.x64.msi on Ubuntu Artful:

paul@paul-pc:~/Downloads/V7$ cat /etc/lsb-release 
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=17.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=artful
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 17.10"
I did have to download the installer as Tracker Update didn't find any updates for me. We will look into that.

Regards wine versions - I used the Ubuntu repository version:

paul@paul-pc:~/Downloads/V7$ sudo apt install wine-stable
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
wine-stable is already the newest version (2.0.2-2ubuntu1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 20 not upgraded.
This works "out of the box" with the 64 bit MSI and in this version I am seeing "sticky note heaven":

This is my workstation, I will test LTS in a VM today.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
meho_r
User

Post by meho_r »

Thank you, Paul. I just gave it a go, v.7.0.325.0 indeed worked nicely. I haven't done any thorough testing yet, but sticky notes issue does seem to be solved. Hopefully, there will be no other hidden unpleasant surprises. ;-)

Installed from 64-bit MSI file, same Netrunner Rolling 2018.1 distro, and wine v.3.5 from official repos. In winecfg, "Windows 7" was chosen for "Windows version". I'll test 7.0.325.0 later on Fedora 64-bit.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Glad to hear it works!
Keep us posted on the others :)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

Hello, I've switched to Ubuntu 18.04 and I'm reinstalling Wine and PDFXEdit. I wondered if there's some components that need to be installed through winetricks for PDFXEdit to work.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Arch,

I haven't personally tried 18.04 yet. Maybe that is something I should do today...

;-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

Keep me updated please
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Arch,

I've forwarded this to Paul. He'll let you know if and when he's able to find anything.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Arch,

Just a quick update - I hadn't realized when I posted originally, but Paul is on holiday until next week and asked me to notify you. He'll get to testing as soon as he's back and able to.

Thanks for your patience!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

Thank you for your help. Wish him good holidays :D
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

No worries - will do :D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

image.png
Hi guys,

I just realised I never commented on this. I use the 64 bit Pro MSI installer and Wine 3.0 from the Ubuntu 18.04 repositories.

The installer worked flawlessly and both PDF-Tools and the Editor are fully functional. At least in so far as what can be expected under wine, no MS Office conversions, PDF Printer or desktop integration.

Because of the vagaries of wine I tend to use the wine explorer to navigate to files for and and launch wine applications. Maybe I am lazy, it "just works" for me.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke