Problem with zoom option "Fit Visible"

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Peter 123
User

Problem with zoom option "Fit Visible"

Post by Peter 123 »

I have often opened the Editor (version 7.0.323.1) in the right half of my screen. I found out that in this case for my needs a good zoom level is the option "Fit Visible" (called in the german version: "An Inhalt anpassen").

When opening a file and choosing this option this leads to the following (desired) view ("Situation 1"):

That means: "the page content width fits the document window without showing white page margins" (as it is described in the Editor for this option).

You can see this also by the horizontal scroll bar on the bottom of the window: it is positioned in the middle of the page (and not on the left or the right edge).

Unfortunately this behaviour changes when I start a search and
- when I click afterwards on one of the search results (when using the advanced search ["Search"]) or
- when I press "Enter" instead of using the symbols < and > (when using the quick search ["Find"]).

Then the document window looks like in the following image ("Situation 2"):

As you can see, the text (in my case the only page content) is now cut off at the right edge, and on the left side of the page I have the white page margin (which should not be there in case of the option "Fit Visible").

Again you can observe this result also by the position of the horizontal scroll bar on the bottom: The bar is not longer in the center of the page but has moved to its left margin.

My impression is that this issue is not caused by the PDF-file but seems to be a bug, especially because the unwanted result of situation 2 can be "corrected" in (at least) two ways so that the desired situation 1 is restored:

a) I click on one of the other standardized zoom options ("Fit Page", "Fit Width", "Actual Size") - or I change the zoom manually - and then I click again on "Fit Visible".

b) When I am in situation 2 and I click on a hyperlink in my document (that leads to another point within the same document). Then the target opens correctly concerning the zoom respectively the margins.

Please could you check if my observations and conclusions are correct and if this can be fixed in case that it is really a bug?

Thank you.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Problem with zoom option "Fit Visible"

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

I have passed this to our lead developer for the Editor and I would expect you to receive a reply later today.

Thanks for your patience.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

It's not urgent at all. Thank you, John. :)
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Peter - appreciate your patience and whilst a fix will not be possible today, if there is a confirmed problem we should get it into the schedule to be fixed without delay if at all possible.

Cheers !
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi Peter.

I see your issue and we will try to fix it in the near future.
RT#4154: The FitVisible mode isn't fully respected when user clicks the search-result item

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

Great support (as always :wink: )! Thank you, Vasyl.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team wrote: I see your issue and we will try to fix it in the near future.
RT#4154: The FitVisible mode isn't fully respected when user clicks the search-result item
Hello Vasyl,

by no means I intend to pressure you. I just mention it to be sure: It seems not to be fixed until now. With build 326.0 that I installed a short time ago, for me the issue still exists. :P

Best regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Peter 123,
I do see the issue is still present, and do not currently have a progress update on it for you.
I apologize for the inconvenience, and will make a note on the ticket that you are looking for an update.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

@Tracker Support and @Devs: when fixing this issue, please also consider fixing the old:
Continuous page view, and Find/Search occurrence positioning.

Thank you very much!
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)
We make no guarantees, but will certainly try!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: [...]
I apologize for the inconvenience, and will make a note on the ticket that you are looking for an update.
No big problem at all, and the fixing is not urgent for me. :wink: Many thanks for your reply and your help.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Peter 123,

You are welcome.

Thank you for using our software.

Regards.
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

Hello,

this is only a friendly reminder that the issue still exists. :wink: (I use version 7.0., build 328.2).

And a small addition: I realized that the problem does not occur only with the zoom option "Fit Visible" but also when I choose a certain zoom level manually. But I think that by fixing the first issue (the one concerning "Fit Visible") this will be fixed automatically too.

Many thanks.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Peter 123,

Thank you for the additional information.

We really appreciate the feedback from our customers.

I will make sure that our developers will receive the result from your testing.

Regards.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi Peter and @all:
Peter 123 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:39 am Image

As you can see, the text (in my case the only page content) is now cut off at the right edge, and on the left side of the page I have the white page margin (which should not be there in case of the option "Fit Visible").

Again you can observe this result also by the position of the horizontal scroll bar on the bottom: The bar is not longer in the center of the page but has moved to its left margin.
This very serious problem probably has never been shown more clearly than with Peter's above screenshot.

Note that the same problem (unwanted horizontal movement of the page) also happens when the user clicks on any of the bookmarks of a PDF file.

Please, Tracker team, this really needs fixing after all those years.

Thank you,
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello David et all,

I have seen to it that the priority of this ticket be increased once again for you. This is certainly an issue we would like to see resolved as well, but it has unfortunately been delayed a number of times due to other more pressing matters as time went on.

My apologies for the delays experienced both thus far, and going forward.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello All,

I have just returned from a meeting with the Dev team, and have some unfortunate news for you. We will not be changing the current handling of this in the foreseeable future. For reasons which I will detail below.

Consistency
- Nearly all other viewers handle this in the same manner as we do currently, mimicking both of the handling reasons I have detailed below.

Handling
- The "fit visible" function, much like other similar functions, is actually a "zoom" function, when it is first enabled it applies a slight panning to the document to align it visually, but after that point it is simply a placeholder of the zoom level.
- The "search/Find" functions always attempt to center the found content if possible. In cases where the document is zoomed in, this allows for not only vertical, but also horizontal panning to locate the text.

As such, this Ticket has been closed for the time being. We may reconsider in the future, but for now have no plans of doing such.
Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

Hello Daniel,

thanks for your information.

I must confess that I did not understand at all your explanation (I mean from the technical point of view). But that's surely not your fault but has to do with my lack of knowledge about all these technical details.

Anyway I thought that my request was obvious and logical, and in the worst case I would have expected that for some practical reason it might be impossible to realize it. To hear that deliberately it will not be realized, is quite annoying. The more as it took almost 1,5 years for the team to come to this strange decision and after a fixing of the issue was more or less assured already since a long time!

Sorry to say, but this is the first time I am quite disappointed and dissatisfied by the service of Tracker Software. Especially because it refers to a matter that has much importance for a smooth and comfortable use of the Editor.

Finally I would like to thank the fellow user David P. for all his efforts and his valuable support in this matter.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello all,

yes, given the seriousness of the problem, this is a rather unflattering decision, gentlemen. I shall come back and elaborate some more on this ASAIGATI :roll:

Cheers
David
:?
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Guys,

I'm sorry to see you both so dissapointed and I have to say I completely it agree that it took way too long for this to be passed along to you. I'll pass that along to my superiors; it's unacceptable to have taken ~1.5 years for a simple piece of functionality information, particularly given that a member of the development team promised a fix.

I'll see what can be done here, but note that unfortunately it's definitely not going to make it into the initial V8 release, assuming the development team change their stance, as we're too close to the date.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Actually, some changes have been made in the latest version (8.0.330.0) to try to change the behavior. Did you try this version?

But I must say, that other PDF apps, like Acrobat, do not preserve fit visible scroll position limitation, but trying to put highlighted item as most centered as possible.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

Thanks to both of you, Will and Ivan, for your statements and for your efforts.

I have installed and tried now a little bit the new version 8.0, build 330.0, and indeed all seems to work fine with the zoom option "Fit Visible" ("An Inhalt anpassen"). :D The contents of a page remain fully visible now after clicking on a search result or a link etc.

The issue still seems to exist when I choose a certain zoom level manually (instead of "Fit Visible"). But at least for my needs this is not such a big problem as long as "Fit Visible" works fine.

So my first impressions of the new version are very positive. Maybe that David P. will have to say additional or different things about his own experiences as he examined the matter much more in depth than I did.

Thanks to all the Tracker Team for the work you have done. :D

PS:
Ivan - Tracker Software wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:09 pm But I must say, that other PDF apps, like Acrobat, do not preserve fit visible scroll position limitation, but trying to put highlighted item as most centered as possible.
So to my mind in this respect the Editor of Tracker Software is much better now than these other apps. :wink: Because I think that a user who chooses "Fit Visible" wants to preserve this viewing position even after clicking on a search result, a link etc. It is not of so much importance for him (or of no importance at all) that the highlighted item is in the center. He is interested in keeping the overall view of the contents of a page without the necessity of horizontal scrolling whenever a new page appears within the window. But perhaps David P. can this explain also in a more substantial way than I am able to do. Anyway I wanted to encourage your team saying that the way in which "Fit Visible" works now is a logical and user-friendly behaviour.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your kind words! Glad to hear you like the new V8!

Cheers,
Stefan