Unable to set Default Layout to Continuous

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

garyb0125
User

Unable to set Default Layout to Continuous

Post by garyb0125 »

Currently using V7, Build 323.1. I've set my default page layout to Continuous, but every pdf file opens in Single Page Layout. Have disabled "Restore last view" and "Respect document settings", but the problem still exists. Pls advise.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Unable to set Default Layout to Continuous

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Can you please verify if you have settings like in the print screens below?
Make sure to select "Continuous" and "Standard Layout" (not Ribbon Layout), via View > Page Layout.

If these options have selected and it still does not work, then you can still try to resolve the problem,
via the File-ribbon (or the Edit-menu) > "Reset Settings...".
After this, set the options again like shown in the print screens.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you already have done some customization then first make a back-up copy of your settings via "Export Settings...".

Best regards,
and please let us know if your problem gets solved...
Attachments
PDF-XChange Editor - View - Page Layout - Continuous.png
PDF-XChange Editor - Preferences - Page Display.png
garyb0125
User

Post by garyb0125 »

I can confirm that all my settings are the same as yours. I reset the settings and reconfigured, but the problem still exists. One piece of new news is that the pdf files that are experiencing this issue were all generated using the pdfforge's product PdfCreator 3.0.2. These files all worked with Exchange Editor V6, but are now causing this issue in V7. Hope this helps.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Can you please send us any of these files? I cannot reproduce the issue on my side.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

I can confirm the problem reported by garyb0125:

When the PDF's Initial View setting for Page Layout has been set to Single Page, and Editor's Preference Setting for the Default Page Layout has been set to Continuous, then the PDF will be displayed in Single Page mode. The option "Respect document's settings" does not play a role (no matter if it is checked or un-checked).

I have attached:
- a print screen of the initial view setting
- two PDF's (each with 10 blank pages): one with Single Page view and one with Continuous view.

I suppose that - on the hand of these example PDFs - the problem can easily be reproduced by Tracker Software Support and will finally be cured by their colleagues of the development team?

EDIT:
I see that the Preference Setting for "Continuous" is being respected when the check box at "Restore the last used page layout and zoom settings ..." is checked. Finally, I am getting problems with the correct interpretation of these settings. Please help ...

Best regards.
Attachments
Single page.pdf
(9.54 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Continuous.pdf
(9.54 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Initial View - Single Page.png
garyb0125
User

Post by garyb0125 »

Here's a sample file that should open in Continuous page layout but opens in Single Page instead.
Attachments
Word 0Instructor Notes.zip
(22.61 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for the files - forwarded to the dev team ...
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

I see where the problem is. Seems like fixing one issue caused another one.
I believe I made a proper fix this time, and hope our testers will confirm that.
The fix will be available for the next build.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

I do not know if I am the only one having problems with the correct interpretation of the "Page Display Options" (in Preferences).

1) In a PDF-document itself, via Initial View, you can set something else instead of "Default" for items like the "Page Layout" and "Magnification".

When the check box for "Restore the last used page layout ..." is ON, these Initial View settings will not count anymore,
except if "Respect document's settings" is also ON.

So, the "Default Page Layout" and the "Default Page Zoom" preference-settings (in case they are different from "Automatic") will only count when "Restore the last used page layout ..." is OFF and "Respect document's settings" is also OFF.

Is that correct ?

2) So - following the above item - why does the option for "Respect document's settings" has been removed for the "Default Page Zoom" ?

3) Remember the "Initial View"-setting for "Open to page" ?
Will something be done about respecting this per-document setting, or not ?
This, also in case if "Restore the last used page layout..." is ON.

Best regards and thanks for an answer on these questions.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

For the time I asked something myself, I have been forgotten?

;-)

Best regards.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Willy.
For the time I asked something myself, I have been forgotten?
No! Not forgotten! I did ask a dev to confirm 1), I don't have an answer yet and I will follow up. I should have posted to let you know what I was doing. Sorry.

It is my belief that you are correct in 1).

Regards 2) I believe it applies to both. I am waiting for confirmation.

For 3) - I am not sure I understand. If you have both "Restore the last used page layout..." and "Respect document's settings" also ON it would seem to me to be a conflict and I'm not sure which has priority. So what are you seeing in this case and what do yo believe you should be seeing?

Sorry if I am being obtuse here Willy, I hope to have confirmation soon about all this.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi again Willy,

well this resulted in a long explanation of the logic used to set these options. It is not trivial and I doubt very much that I can do it in words alone. I will put together a flow chart that explains the logic used at the various stages of document opening regards the many options and how the decision is made.

It is a little complex and we have much on the go so I don't expect to have it ready to post until next week at the earliest. Ivan already mentioned that some of it is being fixed for the next build, hopefully things will become clearer when I get that done.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Thanks Paul and Tracker Software Support for the effort to clarify things.

What do you think about the following decision table?
NOTE: The "Open to page" option is a difficult one. Now I understand why it has been left away.

Please do not see this as critical item for me. I only like to share my ideas about this case.
And I must also admit, it is getting a bit out of the scope when compared to the subject of this topic.

Enjoy the holidays.
Attachments
PDF-XChange Editor - Initial display settings.png
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks Willy,

I am interested in this, it is appreciated, whether a criticism or not, we can take a little constructive criticism... ;-)

Give me a few days to catch up on the holiday back log and I'll see about posting that flow chart, the discussion around this and your chart wil make more sense then.
I hope you have a great New Year's Ever and that 2018 is a fantastic year for you.

cheers
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Willy Van Nuffel
User

I wonder why you are seeing this as criticism? Did I ever mentioned that word somewhere?
Maybe I am not using the word "critical" correctly, maybe I should better use the word "crucial"?

No, it is just a kind of proposition for incorporating something similar in Editor's preference settings.
So, as an end-user of PDF-XChange Editor, I can set all my initial display preferences independently of each other.

Kind regards and no problem for taking your time to reply.

:-)
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Willy,
All is well - we understood your meaning by "Please do not see this as critical item for me."

Paul used the word's Criticism not as a negative point, but to mean that you made a suggestion for improvement. As he mentioned, we very much do welcome suggestions.

Keep it up :D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest