Misplaced Toolbars

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Giraffe
User

Misplaced Toolbars

Post by Giraffe »

As test, I opened 15 files (15.28MB) (takes 3 - 4 seconds) and all of the toolbars were near the middle of the page and all were 'mis-shapen', i.e. nearer square than long oblongs.
I managed to replace them all, but it's not something that I want repeated as it takes too long, especially the one where the Close button occupies almost all of the top.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Misplaced Toolbars

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Did you take a snapshot/print screen of that situation? If so, can you post it?
If not, than let us hope that it does not happen again. If it should, then please think about taking a snapshot.

Do you have the most recent build 323.1 of PDF-XChange Editor V7 ? If not, then download and install.

Maybe some of the forum members already saw this phenomenon, or Tracker Software Software heard about it?

Best regards.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for the posts guys - I've not seen anything about this, though my colleagues may have. If it happens again, please leave it as it is and export your settings, then send them to us. We'll try to use that to reproduce it. Otherwise, let's hope it's a one off and doesn't happen again as Willy said.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote:Did you take a snapshot/print screen of that situation? If so, can you post it?
If not, than let us hope that it does not happen again. If it should, then please think about taking a snapshot.

Do you have the most recent build 323.1 of PDF-XChange Editor V7 ? If not, then download and install.

Maybe some of the forum members already saw this phenomenon, or Tracker Software Software heard about it?

Best regards.
Sorry - I needed to use it so didn't take the time to make a screenshot.

I am using the latest version; it had been OK for a couple of uses and then I tried it with multiple files to see how it did. I might take a screenshot as it is, to remind me of where everything coes, then open the 15 files again.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Giraffe,

Please make sure that you have 323.1 - as quite a few bugs were fixed from 323.0 to .1, and if it does happen again - please do remember to take a shot and share it with us.

Season's greetings,
Stefan
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Yes, I have the latest version.

Just noticed that the toolbar at the bottom of the window is missing - it's the one with the page numbers etc. on it. Selecting/deselecting various bars has no effect. If it's the Navigation bar, I don't know where it is when it is selected.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Giraffe,

That one is onply shown when there is a document opened in the Editor, and will be hidden otherwise.
I know this is quite trivial and obvious - but just making sure it is not the case for it to be missing.

Can you please also make sure that you have not e.g. minimized it:
minimized.png
minimized.png (17.08 KiB) Viewed 6993 times
Regards,
Stefan
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

I have been looking with a multi-page PDF open - not much point in having the bar for a single page :)
The bottom of the vertical scroll bar has only an arrow head, not the symbol as in your .png; I don't know if this is relevant.

Now, I tried Full Screen and the Navigation Bar appeared as a short bar towards the bottom LH corner of the screen; it isn't moveable. In normal view it goes again.

BTW, I've noticed a couple of other things - quite minor:
I turned off the Menu Bar as there are so many toolbars at the top (and I have a 16:10 screen) and there seems to be no quick, easy way to see it. Most apps. show the Menu by pressing Alt.
I have two documents pinned, in the order 'Doc 1', 'Doc 2'. When I open one of them it goes to the top of the list. I've not noticed this before, so I can't be sure that it didn't happen in v6 - I'll just have to be careful and not simply click on the first one.

Thank you for your help.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Giraffe,

Please try build 323.2 (released last night), and if the issue with the disappearing toolbar is still there - we might need to do a clean install of the Editor to get it back for you, but then this would mean that you will need to recustomize the UI once again. Before we go to that, and if the issue is still there in 323.2 - can you please export and send us a copy of your settings to try at our end?

Regards,
Stefan
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

I tried to get 323.2 yesterday but it wasn't available via Update; it's now installed and the toolbar still isn't there.

As for re-installing, I took a screenshot of it just in case I had to start afresh.
PDFXChangeEditorSettings_22-12-2017.zip
(475.88 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
PDF-Xchange Editor.jpg
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for the settings file Giraffe,

I will ask our devs to look at it, but it seems like resetting all toolbars does help!

Happy Holidays,
Stefan
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi Giraffe.

We investigated your trouble and found one strange issue in your settings: the cmd-pane on the bottom is completely empty. We tried to reproduce such case and clear this pane manually like end-user but couldn't. Can you explain how did you manage to do that?

There is a .reg file for fix your trouble:
FixEmptyBottomCmdPane.zip
(318 Bytes) Downloaded 86 times
Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Thank you Vasyl.
The .reg file has fixed it. but I don't know how 'I' did it! The bar was there and then, so far as I am aware, wasn't there after the toolbars were all misplaced when I opened all those files at once.

Looking at the reg file I wonder if changing to ribbon view, perhaps closing and re-opening the Editor, then changing back to classic view might have done it.
When I'm feeling brave I'll open a similar number of files and see what happens.

Anyway, have a good time over Christmas and all the best.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Have a lovely Christmas yourself Giraffe!

Glad to hear the reg fix worked!
Let us know if you do manage to reproduce this once again!

Cheers,
Stefan
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Opened a PDF this morning and the Navigation bar was missing! I changed to Ribbon view and the bar was there closed, reopened and changed to Classic view and it went - it is toggled by the view.
After I'd run the .reg file on 24th. I saved the settings, so I restored those and the Navigation bar is back.
Attached are 3 files: Ribbon view, Classic view without Navigation bar and the settings from the 24th., as above.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Giraffe,

so if I understand the situation properly you now have the toolbar and all is working, you are just interested in finding out what caused this?

Is that why we have the three settings files or is there still a problem with how it is working for you today?

Sincerely
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

I have the toolbar because I reinstated the settings from 24/12 that were saved after running the .reg file supplied.
The toolbar went again so I tried toggling the view, but that didn't restore the bar in Classic view.

On a sudden thought, I imported the settings from 24/12, rather than run the .reg file again, just to try a different approach.

Now, as this has happened twice, I'm worried that it might happen again. If that happens after I've made useful mods. to the UI or, e.g. the stamps, I wouldn't want to revert. I must try to remember to save the settings if I have made changes.

There are 3 Settings files in case you can see any useful differences between them:
the 2 from Classic view are for comparison with/without the toolbar; the 1 from Ribbon view is to see if there's any difference from the Classic views that might explain the disappearance.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Giraffe,

Absilutely - if you can include all 3 in a new archive - I will ask the interface devs to take a look and see if they can notice anything that will help get to the bottom of this.

Regards,
Stefan
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Thanks Stefan.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks Giraffe,

I've asked a colleague working on the UI to take a look at those, and we will advise as soon as we have any further feedback.

Regards,
Stefan
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Hi Giraffe.

Yes, in PDFXChangeEditorSettings_Classic_30-12-2017 we see the same issue like in previous PDFXChangeEditorSettings_22-12-2017. But problem is that we cannot find the steps to get that issue. We imported your 'good' PDFXChangeEditorSettings_24-12-2017 (everything is ok for sure) and then we tried to make some toolbars customizations but all works good and we couldn't get the issue provided by PDFXChangeEditorSettings_Classic_30-12-2017. :(
So, if its possible, please try to remind what you did with the toolbars in period from 24-12-2017 to 30-12-2017 and let us know. Thanks.

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Vasyl I happened to browse by and see his post with the attached settings files. They are huge compared to the settings files produced by the 2 computers over here. Both are around 40 kb, and his are 10 times bigger than that. Even the good one. And the program over here on both machines is really customized. Is it normal to have such big differences in file sizes?
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Is it normal to have such big differences in file sizes?
Yes, its normal, when you exported your custom stamps, custom spellcheck-dictionary and history too, like Giraffe did.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Question for Giraffe:

Have you installed any tool like 'Registry Cleaner'? We have a bad experience with such tools - sometimes it may delete important data from our Settings location in system's registry or prevent access to it, when program starting/exiting. To confirm it - you may try to use Portable version of our Editor. That is easy to switch:
1. export your existing settings to a file and close app
2. make new empty file Portable.dat inside <Program Files>\Tracker Software\PDF Editor\
3. start app and import your custom settings.

- if the problem disappears in the portable version, there will be a big chance that it is caused by other applications like registry cleaners/optimizers..

Also: for non-portable version of Editor, when issue is appeared first time, can you close app and export the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\Settings" registry key and the send it to us (to support@pdf-xchange.com)? Hope it can help us too. Thanks.

Best
Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

OK, I've carried out that procedure but not sure if it's portable now - how do I tell?

I do have Ccleaner and other such things, but I haven't noticed any correlation between using those and the problem - but that's because I wasn't looking!

I assume that to change back to non-portable, just deleting (or REMming) Portable.dat should do it.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Giraffe,
OK, I've carried out that procedure but not sure if it's portable now - how do I tell?
To use the portable version yo need to download this https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXEdit7_Portable.zip and unzip it somewhere. Using it is as simple as running the Editor executable inside that folder. The idea behind the portable version is that one would put that folder on a thumb drive or other 'portable' media and be able to run it without installing it on a PC. You can take it from machine to machine and use it everywhere as all the required files are kept within that folder.

By doing this you can have 2 "versions" of the editor running separately. To complete what Vasyl asked you should export your settings from the installer version of the Editor, then go to your portable folder, delete the file Portable.dat, make a new empty file called Portable.dat in that same "portable" folder, then start the "portable" version by running PDFXEdit.exe from within that folder then report the results to us here.

Does that help?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Yes, thank you Paul.

Now, this is interesting:
Yesterday I ran Ccleaner and a Reg cleaner; the toolbar disappeared.
Today, the Portable version is OK, with an empty Portable.dat
I exported the settings from the Installed version and imported them to the Portable version and toolbar is gone!

The exported .reg key has been sent to support as requested by Vasyl.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks Giraffe,

Got the e-mail and forwarded it along to Vasyl, he will look at it and post back any news he has on why this is happening!

Cheers,
Stefan
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Sorry to post 'nothing', but is there any progress on this, please?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Giraffe,

Sorry but I've not had any further feedback!
Let me check with the guys once again and we will post here as soon as possible!

Cheers,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Giraffe,

Just spoke with Vasyl, and he said that he has a suspicion that your registry cleaner is causing this problem, but as there are some quite high priority tasks he has on his plate, he will manage to allocate time to investigate your problem a bit later.
Apologies for the delay, but we will get to looking at this as soon as we can!

Regards,
Stefan
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Thank you both. It's not too urgent - I'd just like to know what's doing it and, if possible, stop it.
I've not had this happen before and have been running Viewer/Editor for several years.

I might try a couple of things to see if I can spot what it is. Now that I have the .reg file I don't mind borking it temporarily!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Giraffe,
I don't mind borking it temporarily!
:D

If you manage to narrow it down to a more reproducible chan if events - we would be glad to hear.
And Vasyl does plan to spend time investigating it himself - just a bit further in the future.

Cheers,
Stefan
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Bit of an update:

Ran the .reg file to re-instate the toolbar
Used Ccleaner and a couple of Reg. cleaners (used for many years without problems)
The toolbar stayed put!

It's typical: fault occurs, no apparent cause; try a fix, OK, fault occurs again; experiment to replicate fault - FA happens!

If it does disappear again I'll note what it might be.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Giraffe,

Those things that are hard to replicate (especially consistently) are the hardest ones to fix.
Hope you will not manage to break it at all again, but if you do - please keep us posted!

Cheers,
Stefan