PDF-XChange - Tracker PDF Viewer - TIFF-XChange - Image-XChange - XMF-XChange - Raster-XChange - Support

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Paul - Tracker Supp, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Ivan - Tracker Software, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

claude vidal
User
Topic Author

V7 (and V6) installation fails to restart Windows Explorer

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:21 pm

I've experienced this with V6 and now V7. When installing (Win 10-64), the installer will offer to close running applications that could interfere with the installation. Upon agreeing, it succeeds in closing applications and to restart them, except for one important item: Windows Explorer. The end result is that I need to log out/in.

No big deal, just annoying.

HaPe
User

Re: V7 (and V6) installation fails to restart Windows Explorer

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:46 pm

claude vidal wrote:
When installing (Win 10-64), the installer will offer to close running applications that could interfere with the installation. Upon agreeing, it succeeds in closing applications and to restart them, except for one important item: Windows Explorer. The end result is that I need to log out/in.

I have the same problem but I put up with it.In my case - if I let programs to be closed - I end up with a totally(!) black screen and I have no other option than to hard reset my laptop.To avoid this I never let the installer close any programs (usually it's the explorer the installer is moaning about) and reboot normally as suggested during installation.

It doesn't really bother me, but it would be nice if it could be fixed in some later releases
HaPe

RMan
User

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:06 pm

If it does happen you can Ctrl+Alt+Del then Start Task Manager then do the File->New Task (run) and type in explorer.exe.

But most users don't know that so I can't even begin to imagine how many users don't and use some 4 letter words when they end up with a blank screen because they choose to not reboot.

Maybe one of these days Tracker will check if Explorer.exe is running at the end of the install and restart it if not.

That function should have been built into all installers but I'm guessing the thinking is that a program even with Explorer stopped might not fully update all it's files and cause a problem when Explorer restarts. But to me I think it's far less likely than leaving the user with a Blank screen if they choose not to restart.

HaPe
User

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:22 pm

RMan wrote:
If it does happen you can Ctrl+Alt+Del then Start Task Manager then do the File->New Task (run) and type in explorer.exe.

I am familiar with Ctrl+Alt+Del. Unfortunately my system is completely dead when the problem occurs....

But thanks for the advice - it might help somebody else.

HaPe

RMan
User

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:34 am

I've never had it completely lock up. I'm not familiar enough with their installer but there might be a log files in your temporary folder. In mine it looks like I have some named PDF-XChange_Editor_XXXXXXX.log where XXXXXXX is the date and time

The last line in the last one written was:

[2FB0:0A3C][2017-12-04T12:30:33]i007: Exit code: 0x0, restarting: No

It would be interesting to know if it was exiting on yours or if it locks up before that.

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi RMan, HePe,

I will pass this discussion you've had here to our devs working on the installation packages for consideration!

Cheers,
Stefan