Horrible V7 switches to ribbon and destroys GUI customizations  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

avada
User

Re: Horrible V7 switches to ribbon and destroys GUI customizations

Post by avada »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote:Can you please verify, are you using the latest build? Even in the Classic UI in the latest version, you should indeed able to place tools into the title bar.
As for the appearance of the title bar, I am sorry you see this as alien on your system, but I am curious to see what your other program title bars look like that cause this discrepancy for you.
Could you please provide a screenshot of them?
I already did. My screenshot with the old version shows the normal titlebar for programs. (The color changes with the background image, a standard win8 theme feature)
It seems to me that PDF XE just copied the Win10 default them titlebar which suck on its own IMO and made it appear on other windows versions as well where it also looks out of place.
Ovg wrote:2Avada
At first you should enable Quick Access toolbar
What's that? How and where do I enable it?
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

2avada
Right Mouse Click on Ribbon/Toolbar
Untitled.png
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
PDF-XChange PRO, 10.1.1 (Build 381) / W7 SP1 x64
avada
User

Post by avada »

Ovg wrote:2avada
Right Mouse Click on Ribbon/Toolbar
Untitled.png
I see, thanks. A tad odd way to do things. (Why not just allow to move any toolbar there?) But at least this is out of the way.

I'm also limited to placing buttons to the left which makes the title increasingly off center. Doesn't look to nice.
The dropmakers don't help with space usage either.
Last edited by avada on Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
avada
User

Post by avada »

It doesn't help me with the alien looking titlebar though (which is also thicker than normal)...

Why couldn't it have the style of the theme set in the OS? If not this, then why can't I set it to have the OS titlebar like it had in V6? (Actually both would be the best)
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello avada,

Thank you for the post. This is a design choice that enable users to include commands and icons within the tittle bar. You will find the same thing with Firefox, and Thunderbird, for example.

Sincerely,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
avada
User

Post by avada »

Patrick-Tracker Supp wrote:Hello avada,

Thank you for the post. This is a design choice that enable users to include commands and icons within the tittle bar. You will find the same thing with Firefox, and Thunderbird, for example.

Sincerely,
Actually Firefox has the normal windows 8 titlebar if you enable it in the customize view. PDF-XE only has the out-of-place white (and thicker) titlebar.

Also, it's completely possible to have a native looking titlebar and having stuff in it. Since you mentioned firefox, before this Quantum crap, the taskbar was native looking and had tabs in it.
Further back, Firefox 24 for example had the firefox button, and the menubar in the titlebar, while retaining the OS theme's look:
ff-24-ui.png
And if you have Classic theme restorer You can do lots more with the titlebar, and it will still have a native look:
ff-titlebar-ctr.PNG
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Avada,
I see what you mean, However I must counter with a few points, If you compare our header height to any other windows 10 window, Edge and Skype as examples, you will notice that ours is exactly the same as Microsoft sets their applications:

Conversely, Yes, I do see firefox being slightly smaller (in the past), but we will likely maintain matching the current Windows standard.
note that the current version of firefox is actually larger than Edge and Editor are:

Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
avada
User

Post by avada »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote:Hello Avada,
I see what you mean, However I must counter with a few points, If you compare out header height to any other windows 10 window, Edge and Skype as examples, you will notice that ours is exactly the same as Microsoft sets their applications
This is okay, if you're on windows 10. On windows 8 it should have whatever height the windows theme's titlebar is.
Actually it should always do that. I assume you can still change the taskbar height in windows 10. So a static size is not appropriate
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote:Conversely, Yes, I do see firefox being slightly smaller (in the past), but we will likely maintain matching the current Windows standard.
note that the current version of firefox is actually larger than Edge and Editor are:
The point with Firefox was the color, and configurability of the titlebar. The former matched the OS theme, the latter was lots more versatile. (I'd particularly like to make the title to be in the center of the taskbar, even if put elements on it.)
Though size matters. I think it should follow the OS theme's height by default, but manual configurability wouldn't hurt either.
There was/is nothing special abut firefox, it follows the windows titlebar height, which is appropriate. PDF XE V7 doesn't which isn't. (V6 obviously does because it uses the os titlebar)

I had the titlebarincreased as a test via increasing text size in windows. PDF-XE V6's titlebar and FF61's increased appropriately. V7's stayed the same:
(also illustrates how the indication of focus is lacking with V7)
Attachments
v7-tbar-size.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Avada,
Our window title bar, and most functions, do have the ability to mimic the system scale (Preferences>General> UI Scaling). This may not match the theme settings, but works for most users who find these issues with high resolution displays.

As for your color issue, I know this is not quite what you are looking for, however it is possible to manually change the color of the "Face" of the editor, as well as many other pieces of the software in the Customize UI section of the Preferences (CTRL+K)

I hope this is okay as at least an interim fix for you.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
avada
User

Post by avada »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote:
As for your color issue, I know this is not quite what you are looking for, however it is possible to manually change the color of the "Face" of the editor, as well as many other pieces of the software in the Customize UI section of the Preferences (CTRL+K)

I hope this is okay as at least an interim fix for you.
Better than nothing.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com