How to lock the whole document for editing and only allow two fields to be editable?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Lenka_prokesova
User

How to lock the whole document for editing and only allow two fields to be editable?

Post by Lenka_prokesova »

Hello,

I would like to ask if it is possible to lock the whole document for editing while allowing only two fields to be editable (for the second party to be able to write in some text in only these two fields).

Thank you very much for your support!

Lenka

PS: I have PDF-XChange Editor Plus, version 6.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: How to lock the whole document for editing and only allow two fields to be editable?

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

In the attached ZIP file, you will find:
- a print screen with the settings you must apply via File > Document Properties...
and setting the "Security Method:" to "Password security"
- a sample of a protected form (password = TEST)

Best regards
Attachments
Protected Form.zip
(287.33 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: How to lock the whole document for editing and only allow two fields to be editable?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Lenka,

Thanks for the e-mail and enquiry.
Yes it is possible to restrict the operations allowed in a file to only form filling and signing existing signature fields (which are effectively also form fields!):
security.png
And if you want them to only be able to fill in two form fields, but there are more fields in the file - you can lock all other fields before securing the document, thus ensuring they only have acess to the fields you want them to fill.

Regards,
Stefan
Lenka_prokesova
User

Hello Willy and Stefan,

thank you very much for your fast replies.

I was able to find how to lock the document for editing apart from filling and signing the fields. But I do not understand how to lock other fields and leave only two opened for editing - can you please be more detailed in explanation?

Regards
Lenka
Willy Van Nuffel
User

I do not know if this the right solution, but it works:

While you are in "Edit Form" modus (when you have introduced the password), you can change the properties of the fields.
(via the View-menu > Other panes > Properties Pane)

For those fields that you would like to lock: go into the Properties Pane, and set the "Read Only"-property to "Yes".
Attachments
Protected Form.pdf
(15.87 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Lenka,

Select the Edit Form tool, and click on a field that you want to "deactivate" - then in th eproperties pane (by default at the bottom right) - you can set that field to ReadOnly and Locked - so that your recipient can not click or modify those fields without first entering the owner password for the document (the one you've set up to restrict modifications, which they should not have in the first place at all):
Lock_form_field.png
Regards,
Stefan
Lenka_prokesova
User

Hi ,

this works until the step when I need to click on a field I want to lock in Edit Form tool - I am not able to mark any field. Maybe this has to do something with that I created the whole document by saving a Word document into PDF?

L.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Lenka,

Yes - it is possible.
If the file is not confidential - can you upload a copy of it here so that we can take a look?
If it is confidential - please send it to support@pdf-xchange.com

Cheers,
Stefan
Lenka_prokesova
User

Hi, the file is confidential, therefore I am sending it to you via mail. I am curious what the solution will be :-)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for the file Lenka,

As I explained in the e-mail - this document does look like a form, but does not have the special clickable and fillable form fields that you can add with the Editor.
The copy you sent me was security protected (I presume with a password that you set up as per the discussion earlier in the topic), so you will need to remove the security first, add the needed form fields, and then lock the file again.

Regards,
Stefan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

I think that Lenka should best read some more information about the "Edit Form" feature in PDF-XChange Editor Plus:

https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe6 ... ar_ed.html

and also look at the example files I have attached (I see that they have not even been touched yet - needless effort ?).

@Stefan - Sorry to each time interfering with your answers. I will keep me aside a little bit.
:-)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Willy,

Thanks for the link.
Indeed that would be a good read.

And no worries for posting in the same topics as me! Any help is appreciated, and it's definitely better if both of us give replies than none :P

Cheers,
Stefan
Lenka_prokesova
User

Thank you so much - it finally works :-)

all the best! Lenka