The Editor stopped to open docs on the page that I left opened last time.

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Msorich
User

The Editor stopped to open docs on the page that I left opened last time.

Post by Msorich »

Hello,
Noticed that the Editor stopped to open docs on the same page that I left last time opened. Although it worked perfectly so far.
Please have a look at my settings, if they are correct.

Thanks,
Msorich
Attachments
preferences.jpg
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: The Editor stopped to open docs on the page that I left opened last time.

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Msorich,

Those settings look OK, but maybe you cleared your recent files list?
history_recents.png
Regards,
Stefan
Msorich
User

Post by Msorich »

No, this behavior is not due to cleared/uncleared recent files list.
Just for test, I cleared recent file list and opened two files, moved them to pages (as example page 3 and 15 accordingly), then closed application and reopened it.
There have been opened exactly the same files, but at first pages. That's the problem.

Msorich.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Msorich,

Is this happening with some specific files?
As there are some files with JS code inside them that will always open on the first page unless you disable JS execution for the Editor.
If it happens with all files - please try to reset all your Editor settings, after making a back up, and see if that will help!

Regards,
Stefan
JimmyD
User

Post by JimmyD »

Isn't this previous thread the same issue? https://www.pdf-xchange.com/forum3 ... 62&t=29097
Msorich
User

Post by Msorich »

JimmyD wrote:Isn't this previous thread the same issue? https://www.pdf-xchange.com/forum3 ... 62&t=29097
I see this issue really annoys the users. :shock:
Yeah, looks to me as exactly the same issue!
@Stefan, I cannot say exactly, whether this issue has to do with specific files or not. Just worked with few technical manuals and noticed that this feature worked fine, later noticed that it stopped to work. A reason? I have no clue...

P.S. I have the build 322.5 and as I wrote above, it worked fine so far. I will watch on this, if there's any features there.

Update. Caught two files (made by Acrobat Distiller 4.05 and 5.0) where this feature worked fine and caught two files (made by Acrobat Distiller 11.0) where this issue occured. :?

Msorich
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

The problem only seems to occur with documents where the "Open to page" value is (already) present in the PDF (value is "1" by default).
It seems like there are pdf applications that write this value down in PDF during its creation. Others only write the value when it is modified.

When PDF-XChange Editor has been set to open a PDF on the page where it last has been opened, it should not take into account the "Open to page" value of the PDF. Even though, in recent versions of the Editor it does. The 'ticket' to have this resolved had been re-opened.

An additional request has been posted, to offer an option to 'Respect documents settings' for "Open to page", similar to the options that already exist for the "Page Layout" and for the "Page Zoom".

Best regards.
Msorich
User

Post by Msorich »

Hope it will be implemented in the next builds 322.6...322.7. Although it worked earlier if judging by people posts...

Msorich
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

I think I have (sometimes) the same problem as described by Msorich.

May I add two questions here?

One of the options in the "Page Display Options" says (see the image in Msorich's first posting):
Restore the last used page layout and zoom settings, while opening a document from the Recent List.
1. Am I right that this is the option which guarantees (or should guarantee) that a document is opened on the page where I had closed it the last time? (The text of this option does not say it explicitly as it only refers to layout and zoom settings.*)

2. According to what it says, this option applies only if the document is opened from the "Recent List" (that means from within the Editor). Does this mean that the Editor will not remember the last used page if I open a document from outside the "Recent List", in other words by double clicking on the document that is placed e.g. on the desktop?

-------

*) PS: Ah, just now I see it: It seems that Willy Van Nuffel already referred to this issue in the other thread. :D
Willy Van Nuffel wrote:[...] and - if possible - it would be good to have an additional one for "Open to page" (Respect document's "Open to page" setting).

And to be correct, the sentence "Restore the last used page layout and zoom settings, while opening a document from the recent list" should be extended with (something like) "the last viewed position".
quoted from here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/forum3 ... 97#p114704
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

I am not sure why this has been left so long, both in response here and in development. I will do some digging here and see what the plan is to address it.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

This is confirmed to be fixed for Version 7.

:-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

Hello,

just a question: This issue has indeed been fixed in Version 7?

I ask because at least for me something still does not work correctly with restoring the last viewed page (see also the other thread about this or a similar problem: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=29097).

I have installed just now build 326.1 of version 7 and the following situation still did not change:

- Let's say I stop reading a document (= closing it) at page 57. The next time the document opens at this page (as it should).
- I continue reading and then I stop (= I close it) e.g. at page 66.
- The restore works fine again (= at page 66) as long as I do not shut down and restart my computer (namely Windows).
- In case that I close and restart Windows, the next time the document will open at page 57! That means: Not the last page is restored (where I had closed the document before restarting the computer) but obviously the last but one.
(I cannot say with certainty if it happens after every restart but at least it happens after most of them.)

I have tried it just now with 3 quite different PDF-Files and the effect is exactly the same for all of them.

I can hardly imagine that is has to do with my settings but anway here they are:

My system is Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks for any support and also for possible reports of similar experiences by other users.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

After a few tests (with PDF-XChange Editor V7 build 326.1):

1) I can NOT confirm that documents are opening at the last but one position after a restart of the computer.
For me, this feature works correctly.
Maybe it is not working correctly for other people. In that case, please post a reaction.

2) I still have the problem with the Initial View - Open to page parameter.
In case this parameter has been set to a specific page, the "Restore the last used page layout ..." has still priority over the "Respect document's settings". I wonder if this should be the case. Until now, it is still unclear to me how to interpret the ON-status of both check-boxes.
See: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=29097

Best regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello All,

Much like willy I am unable to cause this issue to occur, but would like some clarification on how you are performing some of these actions.
Peter 123 wrote:The restore works fine again (= at page 66)
In this point, I assume by restore you simple mean reopening the document, or are you restoring a session, or some other method of opening the document once again?
Peter 123 wrote:In case that I close and restart Windows, the next time the document will open at page 57!
For this point I am curious to know, do you close the editor and save the documents before restarting windows, or do you simply restart the system without closing out the Editor or the document?

I also believe I can provide some insight as to how the functions work, I have a few example cases that may help.
The functions can interact with each other in some cases, and will make an appropriate decision based on the context.

The Restore last used page layout function will attempt to navigate to the previous layout if it is possible, This can be overridden by JavaScript or links to specific pages in the document. In any case where there is no data stored for the previous layout this will default to use the manually set layout and zoom settings or will respect the document settings if enabled..

The Respect documents settings function will prioritize any options set in documents metadata, such as the default page. If default layout and zoom are set to automatic, than these values will be used by default. Typically this is used only on the first open, as restore last used is enabled by default, and users commonly wish to return to the last location they were editing when they re-open a document.

If both of these options are enabled, the documents settings will be used the first time a document is opened, any changes to page number or zoom level will be maintained and restored in future instances of that documents opening.

I hope that helps!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

Many thanks, Daniel, for your reply (in the other thread too) and for your explanations. Also many thanks to Willy for his tests. :D

Well, it is so difficult to say something definite because a short time after I had read Willy's post I tried it again and this time all worked o.k. (= the documents opened on the page where they should). The same happened just now, when I shut down and restarted Windows three times. Every time the documents opened correctly. I have no idea what could be the reason for the (changing) behaviour. :?:

Anyway, here are my answers to Daniel's questions:
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote:
Peter 123 wrote:The restore works fine again (= at page 66)
In this point, I assume by restore you simple mean reopening the document, or are you restoring a session, or some other method of opening the document once again?
Your assumption is correct: I simply meant the reopening of the document (usually by chosing it from the list with the recent ones in the Editor).
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote:
Peter 123 wrote:In case that I close and restart Windows, the next time the document will open at page 57!
For this point I am curious to know, do you close the editor and save the documents before restarting windows, or do you simply restart the system without closing out the Editor or the document?
I also already thought that this could possibly play a role but I simply to not remember what is my common procedure. :wink:

- I am sure about the following: As I became cautious because of the problem with the "forgotten" last opened page, I regularly do the following: After closing a document (e.g. on page 57) I open it immediately again to check if the Editor "remembered" this page. This is always the case. (I always simply close and do not save my documents because usually I only read but do not change them.)

- I am also sure that my documents are always closed before leaving Windows.

- But I cannot say with certainty if - when leaving Windows - I first close the Editor itself too or if the Editor is simply minimized to the tray. (I think that in most of the cases happens the second: the Editor remains open, sitting in the tray.)

But in order to see if it makes a difference I made the recent test with both constellations: closing Windows after closing the Editor and closing Windows with the Editor open in the tray. The result was the same and as already mentioned above: The correct page was now always remembered after the restart.

I fear that this is all I can say for the moment. I understand that it is difficult to help when other users don't have the same problem and when even I for myself do not have it all the time. But I am sure that it has occurred already a lot of times. (One or two times it may happen that you remember a wrong last page in your mind, but as it has happened alreday so often and as in many cases the difference between the correct page "forgotten" and the wrong page "remembered" by the Editor was so obvious, there can be no doubt about my observations.)

Ah, please can you tell me:
Which of the settings (I assume it's one of the Page Display Options) is specifically responsible that a document that has been closed e.g. on page 57 will open on this page in the next session?

Thanks for your patience. :wink:
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Peter,
Thank you for the clarification and, while I certainly am glad that all is working as intended, should you find a way to reproduce this consistently, please let us know here!
Peter 123 wrote:Ah, please can you tell me:Which of the settings (I assume it's one of the Page Display Options) is specifically responsible that a document that has been closed e.g. on page 57 will open on this page in the next session?
This should be managed by the Restore last used option:
DMKB18August55.png
Hope that helps!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

Thank you, Daniel. Yes, it helps. Because so I will perhaps experiment a little bit with these settings and can return afterwards to the "correct" ones.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote:should you find a way to reproduce this consistently, please let us know here!
I will surely do so. :wink:
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

Hello,

as the issue (described above in posting viewtopic.php?f=62&t=29808&p=126800#p126763) continues to occur (sometimes, not permanently) I would like to ask the experts the following:

In which moment does the Editor save in its system the last page opened?

Is it
a) when closing the specific PDF document
or
b) when closing the application
or only
c) when closing Windows (= shutting down the computer)?

I "hope" that c) applies because it's the only way I could find a logical explanation:

I have the impression (but not being absolutely sure) that the issue occurs after having used "Shadow Defender":
This is a program that will remove all you have done (and in general all that has happened) on your computer (after starting Shadow Defender) when you shut down and restart your computer.

I use it usually for testing new software before deciding if I will install it definitely or not.
So the typical procedure is:
Starting "Shadow Defender" (= going into the so called "Shadow Mode") (this works from the running Windows) ---> installing and testing software XY --> afterwards restarting my computer respectively Windows ---> after the restart the installation of the software XY and all its consequences are gone.

Now concerning the XChange Editor: Usually I close all opened PDF-files as well as the Editor itself before I enter into the Shadow Mode (maybe that in rare cases I forgot to do so). In so far the starting of Shadow Defender should be of no influence on what has happened within the Editor before. But my theory is the following:

Let's assume that sometime before entering the Shadow Mode I had stopped reading a PDF-file e.g. on page 58. If it applies that this information is saved by the Editor only when shutting down Windows (and not earlier) it would be logical that leaving Windows by leaving the Shadow Mode of Shadow Defender would lead to a loss of the information concerning page 58 - because the (presumed) saving of information when closing Windows would be prevented by Shadow Defender.

I don't know if my theory is correct and if I described it in an understandable way. :P But it would be already useful if you could answer the above question (about the moment in which the information about the last used page is saved).

If you are interested to try to reproduce the issue, you can download "Shadow Defender" here: https://www.shadowdefender.com/index.html
(As far as I remember you can test it as a trial version for 30 days.)

The scenario could be (in case that my theory is correct):
1. Close a PDF-file in the Editor e.g. on page 40.
2. Then restart Windows and open this file in the Editor. It should show you page 40.
3. Continue to "read" until e.g. page 58. Then close the file and the Editor.
4. Now enter the Shadow Mode. You can do now on the computer something for testing, e.g. create a new folder, but leave untouched the Editor.
5. Now shut down and restart your computer/Windows (outside of Shadow Defender).
6. Reopen the PDF document in the Editor. My assumption is that it will open on page 40 (as the last saved position) and not on page 58.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Peter,

Both A and B are correct, this data is stored when either the document or application (with opened documents) is closed normally. However, you are also correct that Shadow Defender could be the very likely culprit of the issue in your specific case. The document open information is stored in our registry entries, so ANY application that prevents, delays, reverts, or otherwise modifies any portion of the windows registry could have a negative impact on our application's day to day usage. We advise if you are making use of any such software, that you place an exception on our keys, located here:

Code: Select all

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software
and here:

Code: Select all

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tracker Software
In the case of your Shadow Defender, ensuring that you fully close our application beforehand will ensure that all of our data is written to the registry and our temp files in full.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

Many thanks, Daniel, for your reply and advice. :D