Multiple Versions - can I remove older ones?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kenb
User

Multiple Versions - can I remove older ones?

Post by kenb »

Hello experts,

I notice on my Windows 7 64-bit system (in Control Panel / Programs and Features) that I have multiple version of PDF-XChange. I have not purposefully retained the older versions, so I'm not clear on why those older versions have remained. At any rate, I really only need the current version of PDF-XChange Pro.

Can I safely uninstall the older versions from Programs and Features?

Here's what I see in "Programs and Features"
Tracker multiple versions.jpg
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Multiple Versions - can I remove older ones?

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Probably you have each time installed a more recent version without first running an uninstall for the previous version.
So those old items are still present in the overview.

At my opinion, the best solution will be to first remove 'all' PDF-XChange installations from Programs and Features, beginning with the oldest ones.

After this you can re-install PDF-XChange Pro.
During the installation, you can select the different components that you like to install (PDF Printer, PDF Tools, PDF Editor, Office add-ins, ...).

Your "user settings" will normally be retained and the whole process should not take long.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Kenb,
This was a bug in an older version of our updater/installers wherein the old version was not removed and could cause a conflict. Usually uninstalling the old version will fix any issues. But a clean reinstall would be the best method to ensure this is cleaned up.

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
kenb
User

Post by kenb »

Patrick-Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Kenb,
This was a bug in an older version of our updater/installers wherein the old version was not removed and could cause a conflict. Usually uninstalling the old version will fix any issues. But a clean reinstall would be the best method to ensure this is cleaned up.

I hope this helps!
Thanks Partick and Willy Van Nuffel,

I removed the older versions and all seemed OK. But then I though I ought to use "brute force" so I removed the latest version, rebooted, cleaned up with CCleaner, rebooted and installed the current version. Of course I had to reconfigure the Office addins as I like them. But in the end it seems I have a healthy install of the latest version of PDF-XChange Pro.

Thanks.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Ken,

if you always use the MSI installers you can do things like this:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... ic-version

Enjoy... :-D
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com