Annotate search results using 'object tools' instead of 'text tools'?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

tom shields
User

Annotate search results using 'object tools' instead of 'text tools'?

Post by tom shields »

Hi all, I'm wondering if (and hoping that) there's a way to Annotate Search Results using object based tools - such as rectangle or pencil - instead of text based highlighting or underlining tools. I'm asking as sometimes these annotations need to be exported, imported and adjusted between different PDFs, and unfortunately the highlight tool doesn't seem to allow anything beyond the export/import stage. Redaction tool seems to work to a degree, but it doesn't have a section in the Comment Styles Palette to adjust and save style settings.

Any extra insight on this would be incredibly helpful! Maybe this will turn into a feature request?

Cheers,

-Tom
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Annotate search results using 'object tools' instead of 'text tools'?

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the post and welcome to our forums. I am afraid it is not clear to me what you are trying to accomplish. Sorry if I am being obtuse, but could you please elaborate?

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
tom shields
User

Re: Annotate search results using 'object tools' instead of 'text tools'?

Post by tom shields »

Hi Patrick - it's a bit of a weird question, I know, so I'll try to explain again:

The Search function has an option to annotate any results (Search > Options... > Annotate Search Results > *various options*) which lets you choose only from Highlight, Underline, Strike or Redact (text tools). Once the Highlight, Underline or Strike tools are applied, they can't be manipulated ie. resized or moved from the text it's attached to. Highlight objects can be exported/imported onto another PDF, but it seems like they can't be moved from their original relative spot.

Redaction does create an object (moveable and resizable) but there's no 'Redaction options' in the Comment Styles Palette to go with it - instead of applying a Custom Style to selected Redactions, the colour and opacity properties have to be changed to each individual Redaction object.

So to make the search result annotations both moveable and resizable, I'm wondering if there's a way to apply a moveable, resizable object over the search results - like the rectangle or pencil - instead of only the text-based tools.

I hope this explains it a bit clearer :/ I appreciate your help!