Opening pdf file causes computer reboot

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

lynn1717
User

Opening pdf file causes computer reboot

Post by lynn1717 »

I just recently installed pdf-XChange Editor on my old Windows XP SP2 computer. Now my computer occasionally reboots without warning or error when I open a pdf file. It has happened 3 times with different pdf files over the last 2 days since I installed the program. This has never happened before. No other pdf files were open at the time. If there isn't a fix for this, I'll have to uninstall the program and discontinue using it. That would be a shame, since I really like it so far. I think I had this program on a different Windows XP SP3 computer a year ago and didn't have any issues.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Opening pdf file causes computer reboot

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello lynn1717,

Thank you for the post and welcome to our forums. Please note that XP support is limited as it is no longer supported by Microsoft. Please let us know what version and build of the Editor you are using (Help> About).

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
lynn1717
User

Post by lynn1717 »

Version 6.0 Build 322.7
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

By default, Windows XP automatically restarts (reboots) when a serious problem has happened.

You can disable this behavior and also look into the "event viewer" to see if you can find some information about the problem:
http://ccm.net/faq/829-windows-xp-disab ... ic-restart
(Solution number 1)

Best regards.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Willy,

Nicely done! If there is a serious issue we would like to know about it.

lynn1717, please do as Willy suggested and let us know.

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
lynn1717
User

Post by lynn1717 »

I looked at the system logs and there are no errors listed. I unchecked the automatic reboot, and the next time I opened a pdf with PDF-XChange I got a blue screen. The error was System stopped: x000021a Fatal System Error. Status of 0xc0000005. (0x7c9106c3 0x00c7ec24). When I turned the computer off and back on, I was given the option to send Microsoft an error report for the system error. The details for that report are: "BCCode : c000021a BCP1 : E2BE28E8 BCP2 : C0000005 BCP3 : 7C9106C3
BCP4 : 00C7ED04 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1 ". Note that my computer only reboots when I open a pdf file with PDF-XChange (and also happened once when I opened the PDF-XChange program without a file); if I open the same files with Adobe Reader, no reboot happens.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

When searching for information on "STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}", there are various things you can verify:
- check device configuration, particularly at items where you see a question mark
- check particular "services" that do not belong to the default ones for Windows XP
- mismatched system files

But, I guess you will have a fairly chance to resolve the problem by installing Service Pack 3 for Windows XP

The following link seems to work for the download:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdow ... ebfde4.exe

found on the following page:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... =itproxpsp

Best regards.
lynn1717
User

Post by lynn1717 »

I cannot install SP3, since this is an old Gateway computer and crashed when I tried to install it and I lost everything. I am limping along with this computer until my husband buys a new one and I can inherit his Windows 10 machine. I have only had this reboot issue with PDF-XChange, so I don't want to waste a lot of time and risk messing up something while checking system things I don't understand. Since this isn't a known issue to you, it looks like I should just uninstall it and wait until I have a more updated computer before trying to use it again. Thank you anyway.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

OK.

:-)
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

- Check if you did disable your Windows swap file (should not).

- Try to update the graphic carder driver.

- Try to disable the graphic card driver (switch to Microsoft Standard VGA driver via Windows Device Manager).
lynn1717
User

Post by lynn1717 »

Thank you, but I prefer not to try guesses with my system in ways that I don't understand. I have no issues with other programs, so if there isn't a known clear fix for this program I'll just assume it doesn't work with XP SP2.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello lynn1717,

We have tried to give you some suggestions, but if those can not be tested - I am afraid there is little else we can do.
XP SP3 was released in April 2008 - 9 years ago, and Windows XP itself was discountinued by Microsoft in April 2014 (more than 3 eyars ago), so we will not be able to work on a fix for an OS that old (you are effectively running an OS more than 9 years old if SP3 is not installed).

I hope you will manage to figure our a workaround, or will be able to grab the Win10 PC you mentioned soon!

Regards,
Stefan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Another way around would be to try with an older version (previous build) of PDF-XChange Editor ...
Unfortunately there is no certification for what version can run on a particular version of the Windows Operating System ...
So, I guess, this will also be a question of trial and error.

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/versio ... nge-editor
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello,

For use on such an old OS the most reliable software will be an the Viewer. However, the Viewer is discontinued as well. You can download it here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVwer.zip

I hope this helps!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
lynn1717
User

Post by lynn1717 »

Thank you! I uninstalled the Editor and installed the Viewer instead. I no longer have the reboot issue. The Viewer is fine for me since I typically only need to add simple comments for editing. (The older version of Acrobat Reader that works on my SP2 doesn't have comment capability.) Thank you again!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Lynn,

Glad to hear you've found a solution while you have to stay on that older machine!

Let us know if we can assist with anything else!

Cheers,
Stefan