Feature Request: File Size Estimate.

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Special
User

Feature Request: File Size Estimate.

Post by Special »

So pretty much all image editors do this... I'd like to see it also in PDF X-Change Editor, when creating, editing, and optimizing PDFs, can we get the file size "estimate" of what the saved PDF will be? With all the various DPI and compression settings given to you during the creation process, it would be helpful to know what the end result would be without having to save it first hand to see.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: File Size Estimate.

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Special,

Thank you for the post. We currently have such a feature when optimizing PDF under "Audit space usage".

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Special
User

Post by Special »

It doesn't, I don't even know the point of that, all it does is breaks down to you the various parts of the PDF.

Lets say I run the Audit and Images say = 120MBs

Okay so lets change some of the settings Downsample to 200dpi, compression JPEG, and Quality low...

Still says 120MBs...

Well lets lowers it more... 150dpi, and Quality minimum.

Still says 120MBs, it should be much lower, it's either broken or pretty pointless as is.

I'm also asking for the above to apply to other relevent screens like when creating a PDF, not just on the Optimize screen, like on here.

Like with the above image, what does "auto" even mean? How does it differ if I set the quality manually to 75, 85, 95, or lossless, I want to see the resulting file size of the various settings in real time as I make adjustments to the various settings.
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

Hi Special.
Unfortunately there is no easy way to estimate PDF file size - we must perform optimization to see expected result, therefore estimation will be very time consuming. If we will run such estimation in background - file will be optimized many times plus one (estimation for each change + optimization itself).
For now much better solution is optimize file with your settings, save to a copy and check result (not only file size, but quality too). If something does not match your requirements you may optimize file again with corrected settings, and so on. Yes, it will be hard to make file exact size as you want, but after a few tries you will find settings which will give minimal file size with acceptable quality, and for subsequent optimizations you will simply use them.
HTH.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Special
User

Post by Special »

Can't something be worked out? Like instead of doing the entire PDF (which would take a long long time, have it do only a single page...)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Special,

While most PDF documents have the content of each page separate from that of others - it's possible to have linked resources shared by all pages (e.g. embedded fonts) - so calculations and computations of this type will need to be performed at the whole document level.

Regards,
Stefan