Text rendering error in PDF-XChange Editor

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Impress
User

Text rendering error in PDF-XChange Editor

Post by Impress »

When viewing some PDF documents, PDF-XChange Editor does not render the text properly. Sections of the English text show up as symbols.

The old PDF-XChange Viewer renders the files correctly. So does the pdf.js viewer integrated into Firefox.

I would love to be able to send you the documents, but they are private.

If I took some guesses, I would say it's a character set, character map, or unicode issue within PDF-XChange Editor.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Text rendering error in PDF-XChange Editor

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Impress,

Thank you for your post. This is probably some kind of fonts issue. If you are not comfortable posting these files to our forums, would you be willing to email them to us at support@pdf-xchange.com?

Without the files to test with, we are not likely to find a solution - which we are keen to provide to you.

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Impress
User

Post by Impress »

Hi Patrick,

I regret that I cannot send you the files. Without the files, I can see how it will be very hard to troubleshoot this issue.

But let's start at a slightly different angle: Since the files render correctly in PDF-XChange Viewer and in Firefox's pdf.js (Mozilla's native viewer), and render incorrectly in PDF-XChange Editor, does that mean it must be due to a bug in either PDF-XChange Viewer or PDF-XChange Editor, or is there another possible explanation?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Impress,

Without the actual file - there is very little we can do, but from the description it would seem like a font issue.
To make a PDF file's size smaller - the creator might decide to not embedd the fonts used. This file would then rely on exactly the same font being installed on the machine on which it will be read to display properly. If a font is not present on the machine - we try to select a substitute - but this is not always ideal, and the logic used in the Viewer and Editor is different - hence the different results you've observed.

If you find another sample - that is not sensitive and illustrates the same problem - we will be happy to investigate this further!

Regards,
Stefan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

If I correctly remember, there were font problems in earlier/old versions of PDF-XChange Editor.

Are you sure to be using the most recent version 6.0.322.7 ?

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... nge-editor
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Willy,

Thanks for your input.
Yes - making sure that the latest version is used is always good, but given how many fonts there are, it is quite possible that such an issue occurs with the latest build as well. Without the file it will be tricky to check for sure though!

Regards,
Stefan