Slow for Print Dialog Window to appear

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

fiscal
User

Slow for Print Dialog Window to appear

Post by fiscal »

Hi All,

Editor v6.3.22.7

I have noticed of recent weeks that the time it takes for the print dialog window to appear when requested, is taking 6-10 seconds.

Do you know if the print dialog window is a separate exe that is run? I am thinking that it may be the AV program (AVG) as these are becoming more aggressive (and slow) in checking that programs opened "internally" , are OK.

Thanks

Tony
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Slow for Print Dialog Window to appear

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Tony,

Can you please try to open the "devices and printers" window and see if that loads with normal speed?

The Print preview window inside the Editor is not a separate process - so the AV should have little impact once the Editor is already running.
Also, is your default printer a network one or a local device?

Regards,
Stefan
fiscal
User

Post by fiscal »

Hi Stefan,

The Windows 10 Printers and scanners window opens up instantly. I assume that is what you referred to.

The default printer is a network printer (simple laser printer - been used for years), but when I click on the print menu or go Ctrl P, the printer preview (and pick printer) window has always been quick, but now I have to wait 7-10 secs for it to open.

Thanks

Tony
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Tony,

Thanks for answering those questions, but I am afraid I will need to ask some more to get a better understanding of the situation! :)

Do you have another device - that is not a network one, that you can set up as the default printer? And see if the slow opening of the print preview window still occurs.
Also - does it happen with any file (including simple text only ones) - or does this happen only with some graphically heavy document?

Cheers,
Stefan
fiscal
User

Post by fiscal »

Hi Stefan,

The windows10 devices and printers dialog opens up straight away.

I could not attached a printer directly, but I made the PDF-xchange std V6 driver as the default printer.

I also updated the PDF Editor and the times seemed to improve, and it now takes 4.6 secs to open small text based pdf files.

Not sure what times are like on your machine?

See ya

Tony
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Tony,

I suspect that the slow opening of the network printer is because we have to query the printer for some settings in order to generate our print preview; on slow networks, or those currently suffering a high load, this could cause the delay you're seeing. I'll double check that with the developers to see if we can improve on that.
I also updated the PDF Editor and the times seemed to improve, and it now takes 4.6 secs to open small text based pdf files.
The opening times will depend on a number of factors, however you may find that it helps to A) Clear the recents list (Edit --> Preferences --> Documents --> Manage History and Recents) and B) Decrease the number of items that are stored in the recents list.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com