Edge to Edge Printing

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Larry T
User

Edge to Edge Printing

Post by Larry T »

Hello... How do I print to the edge of the paper with no white border? My printer (HP 8740) can do it and I print jpg's edge to edge all the time. No matter what settings I try, I still get the borders printing a pdf from the Editor print dialogue. Thanks.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Edge to Edge Printing

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Larry,

Thank you for your post. We receive this information from the printer driver. We have installed this driver here to test and make sure it will work. Could you please specify how to set up borderless printing within this driver?

Please also post a link to the latest drivers you are using.

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Larry T
User

Post by Larry T »

I'm using the latest HP driver for the 8640. I have a pdf measuring 8.5x22. Selecting "Letter" paper size and "Tiling all pages" requires me to zoom to 96% with 0.0 overlap to fill 2 8.5x11 pages with a border on all 4 sides of each page... exactly as expected.

If I change paper size to "Edge to Edge Letter" keeping "Tiling all pages" I should be able to set the zoom to 100% and fill the 2 pages without margins but the print preview window still shows margins and too many pages (due to spillover) unless I drop the zoom back to 96% in order to get the pdf to fill 2 letter-size pages. It's as if Editor doesn't recognize the "edge to edge letter" setting, treating it as regular "Letter".

I am able to print edge to edge with Adobe Reader.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Larry,

It does appear to be that way. Could you please post a screenshot of where you set up edge to edge printing in the print driver settings?

Can you please also post screenshots of what you see in the print preview in Adobe and Editor for comparison. Please also try printing and let us know if the Edge to Edge setting is respected - it may simply be that the preview is not showing it correctly.

Finally, please send us the document you are working with.

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Larry T
User

Post by Larry T »

I'll get that stuff when I can get a spare minute. In the meantime, I'm selecting "Page Setup" on the main print dialogue page and selecting "edge to edge letter" and pressing OK. The preview re-draws but still has the margins. I go back to "Page Setup" and the choice has reverted to "Letter". If I zoom to 100% the preview then shows 6 pages instead of the 2 I'm trying to get. no matter how many ways I play with it the paper size always reverts to just plain "Letter". I've also tried it from the "Properties" button as well.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Larry,

Thank you for these further details. In order to test this issue, we will need the items previously requested. At your convenience of course.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Larry T
User

Post by Larry T »

Patrick, attached is the file, the Adobe screenshot, and the PDF-Xchange screenshot. Here's what's happening: I changed my printer default paper size to "EDGE TO EDGE LETTER". When getting into the Print dialogue, both Adobe and Foxit retains the "Edge to Edge Letter" paper size. See the cap of Foxit with the page properties window and borderless preview. That's what I can't get to happen with PDF-Xchange.

PDF X-change does NOT recognize "Edge to Edge Letter" and resets to just plain "Letter". If I manually change paper size to Edge to Edge and hit OK and re-open the Properties or Page Setup, it has reverted to just plain Letter. Also attached is a cap of the preview window showing the page border after trying every conceivable way to get "edge to edge" to stick.

By the way, it prints the same as the preview window.
Attachments
IDPA Full Size -35 lightness.pdf
(3.72 MiB) Downloaded 112 times
PDF-Xchange Paper Size Default.jpg
PDF-Xchange Cannot Eliminate Border.jpg
Foxit Properties and borderless preview.jpg
Adobe Paper Size Default.jpg
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Larry,

Thank you for providing these details. I have passed them along to our development team for investigation. I will post back here once we have something to report.

Thank you for your patience nad understanding.

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Larry,

The dev team have confirmed this issue and an internal development ticket has been submitted. Please reference this topic or RT#3964: Edge to edge printing not functioning with HP 8740 when requesting an update to this issue.

Thank you!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Larry T
User

Post by Larry T »

Thanks Patrick. Any estimate when this will be fixed?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Larry,

No estimates yet, but as soon as there are any news in the ticket - we will let you know!

Cheers,
Stefan
Larry T
User

Post by Larry T »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hi Larry,

No estimates yet, but as soon as there are any news in the ticket - we will let you know!

Cheers,
Stefan
Hello... it's been 5 months and several updates / revisions and STILL can't print EDGE to EDGE on a HP8740? I hate having to use Foxit every time I need to print an edge to edge document. Is this just not important?
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Let me assure you - it is important. Every single problem in our software is important for us.
Recently we were very busy making version 7 of the Editor (and other products) and we had very little time left for other tasks.
But our next goal now is to sort our as many outstanding issues we have as we can. I'm sure you will see your issue fixed in build 324 which we expecting to release in January.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Larry T
User

Post by Larry T »

Ivan, I hope it's fixed soon but I have to say I don't understand the priority here. There are some known issues - my issue was brought to your attention 5 months ago. But instead of using resources to fix bugs in the existing version, it was decided to put those issues on the back burner in order to put all the resources into getting a new version to market - with the SAME bugs.

I'm not completely sure how your business model works, but at some point I would guess that people buying paid versions of your programs factor in somehow. Fixing bugs in existing versions rather than rushing a new version to market would make a more compelling case when trying to sell paid versions.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

In few days we will release build 323.2 that will address few issues.
I will try to add fix for Edge to Edge printing into that build.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Larry T
User

Post by Larry T »

Ivan - Tracker Software wrote:In few days we will release build 323.2 that will address few issues.
I will try to add fix for Edge to Edge printing into that build.
That would be great! Thanks.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Larry T
User

Post by Larry T »

Edge printing in latest version FIXED! Thanks.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Welcome! :D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com