Links not responsive  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

BywaterNYC
User

Links not responsive

Post by BywaterNYC »

Hi, gang.

Another geezerly drive-by, and two new questions about PDF-XChange Editor. At your convenience, though....no rush.

1. Does the TrackerUpdate utility load with Windows and run in the background? Or does it only activate when you check for software updates?

In an effort to trim down my Windows startup bloat, I did not install the TrackerUpdate utility. Was worried that it might add another program to the startup group. (If the utility doesn't load with Windows, I'll go back and install it.)

- - - - - - - - -

2. Using the Typewriter feature, I've typed URLs into various documents, but can't get the links to work.

In Preferences > Page Text, "Create links from URLS in page text" is checked. Is there another setting I've overlooked?

I've also tried using the Link Creation Tool...

....which deposits a small rectangle on the document—a link, ostensibly—but clicking on the rectangle only reopens the Edit Action List. So.....

How to coax some hot, sweaty URL action from PDF-XChange?

Again, I'm having a great time with this software. Wish I'd discovered it years ago!

Brooks

EDIT: Never mind the question about turning Typwriter text into a URL. I'm beginning to figure it out after much trial-and-error with the "Hand" and "Select Text" tools. It's not terribly intuitive, if you don't mind my saying so!
Last edited by BywaterNYC on Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PDF-XChange Editor 9.3 (Build 361.0)
Win 10 Pro x64
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Links not responsive

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello BywaterNYC

Thanks for the post! The tracker Updater does not run at startup, though it does run in the background once started. There is an autostart scheduler option wherein you can tell the updater to check for updates Never, Daily, Weekly, and Monthly. An alternative to installing the Tracker Updater, you can simply check our website for new releases periodically. Simply download and run the new installer over your current installation and the software will be updated.

The setting under Page Text> Detect Interactive Text Links work specifically on page text and not in comments such as a typewriter annotation. You can transform a comment or annotation to base content text by right clicking the comment, and choosing flatten. You can also flatten all comments under Menu> Comments> Flatten Comments. You should find the URL automatically populated.

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
BywaterNYC
User

Post by BywaterNYC »

Hi, Patrick.

That was a super helpful answer, and thanks! I'm 95% of the way there.

I've flattened a Typewriter URL and watched it spring magically to life. What a moment!

Next.....

Having flattened that chunk of text, how do I delete it? I tried Edit Content, but the flattened text doesn't want to budge. I also looked into Properties, but saw no clues there. May I trouble you, once again, to point the way?

Evr yr hmbl & obdnt, etc.

Brooks
Win 10 Pro x64
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello BywaterNYC,

It seems like this is a bug with this tool. We were able to reproduce it on our end and our developers are investigating the issue now.

Meanwhile, we found a workaround for it:
After you flatten the Typewriter annotations - please save the document and close it. After re-opening it, you should be able to delete/edit the text using Edit Content.

Regards,
Radi
BywaterNYC
User

Re: Links not responsive  SOLVED

Post by BywaterNYC »

That did the trick, Radi. Thank you both for your help.

Be well!

B.
Win 10 Pro x64
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

No problem BywaterNYC,

I'm happy to help.

Regards,
Radi