Multi-tab option not working

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Mendelyeev
User

Multi-tab option not working

Post by Mendelyeev »

Hello there,

In recent update to 320 build, I have noticed that multi tab option (when I open several files through windows explorer) doesn't work anymore.

When I open inside the app, does work fine.

There are my windows settings (in pdf attached, funny that board doesn't allow posting images)

Thank you for any assistance!
Attachments
Novo Documento a partir de Capturar.pdf
(47.55 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Multi-tab option not working

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Mendelyeev,

Thanks for the post, but I'm afraid that you'll need to be more specific. When you say that it doesn't work, can you please clarify what specifically happens?

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Mendelyeev
User

Post by Mendelyeev »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Mendelyeev,

Thanks for the post, but I'm afraid that you'll need to be more specific. When you say that it doesn't work, can you please clarify what specifically happens?

Thanks,
Will,

Thank you for helping.

In example, when I select three pdf files on windows explorer, and hit enter, the app opens three instances with each pdf document in one tab instead one instance with three tabs.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Mendelyeev,

Thanks for clarifying! This is the second report of this that I've seen, but I can't reproduce it here. Can you advise on the version of Windows you are using? Also, are you seeing this with the Portable Editor, or the installed Editor?

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Joxon
User

Post by Joxon »

Same here, using the portable edition on Win7. In the PDF-XChange Editor Version History I read: “Fixed issues with launching multiple copies/instances of the portable editor.” I assume something went wrong here, because I never had this problem in earlier builds.
Mendelyeev
User

Post by Mendelyeev »

Joxon wrote:Same here, using the portable edition on Win7. In the PDF-XChange Editor Version History I read: “Fixed issues with launching multiple copies/instances of the portable editor.” I assume something went wrong here, because I never had this problem in earlier builds.
Exact! Same here!

Using a portable version on Windows 7.
Mendelyeev
User

Post by Mendelyeev »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Mendelyeev,

Thanks for clarifying! This is the second report of this that I've seen, but I can't reproduce it here. Can you advise on the version of Windows you are using? Also, are you seeing this with the Portable Editor, or the installed Editor?

Cheers,
I am using a portable on Windows 7 (I don't have admin privileges)
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

A little more than a month ago there was a similar thread about this:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 1&p=106303

It seems like when the settings.dat file is not in the portable installation folder, the settings are being retrieved from windows registry...

Can it be that there are different settings, via Edit > Preferences > Documents > Setup ?
In there, the check box "Open each new document in new window" should be active.

The check box to 'Restore Last Session ..." should best be de-activated.
Joxon
User

Post by Joxon »

I have a settings.dat file in my portable folder, no registry entries are written. If I delete the dat file and launch the portable Editor a new settings.dat file is created.

In Preferences > Documents > Setup... the box “Open each new document in new window” is unchecked.

I have two other notebooks with Win7. The same bug appears in both notebooks. :? I unchecked the box “Restore Last Session when application starts” - nope, didn’t help either :shock:

I don't have a regular version of the Editor installed, I only use the portable, so there are no conflicts whatsoever.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I did a setup of the same situation:
- remove the standard PDF-XChange Editor V6 installation
- only keep the portable version (6.0.320.1)
- make sure that PDF's are being opened (by default) via this portable version
- make sure that the parameter “Open each new document in new window” is unchecked
- check that the "settings.dat" file is correctly written in the portable's installation folder
- then select a number of PDF's in Windows Explorer and press ENTER

Problem confirmed: each PDF opens in a separate window, where indeed it should NOT do that.
Special
User

Post by Special »

Incredible annoying, but I'm glad it's not just me with this problem.

Whatever “Fixed issues with launching multiple copies/instances of the portable editor.” was, please revert this.
Mendelyeev
User

Post by Mendelyeev »

Hello,

Any update?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi guys,

There is currently some debate here as to whether this should be considered a bug and be fixed, because setting the Portable Editor as default is not the intended use of a Portable application.

However, I believe that given the interest in the subject, it should be resolved. I'll update here when we have something more concrete.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Mendelyeev
User

Post by Mendelyeev »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi guys,

There is currently some debate here as to whether this should be considered a bug and be fixed, because setting the Portable Editor as default is not the intended use of a Portable application.

However, I believe that given the interest in the subject, it should be resolved. I'll update here when we have something more concrete.

Thanks,
Dear Will,

I do agree with you. But on my work I don't have privileges to install softwares, so my only way is use portable apps.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Understood - I've passed this along and will let you know when I hear back.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
klaus von kietzell
User

Post by klaus von kietzell »

Hello,

i have the same problem an a solution. I copied the resource.dat file from the old portalbe version into the folder of the new version and it works to open multiple pdf in one window.

Best regards
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for the info. Klaus!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Ciberian
User

Post by Ciberian »

Please add me to the list of users expecting the portable version to open multiple pdf files (opened from Windows Explorer) in the same single instance of PDFXEdit.

I originally posted my concern here: https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 62&t=28389.

Thanks.
Sinaptik
User

Post by Sinaptik »

Hello there,

Same problem here.
I have just updated Portable version from 319 to 320.1 on Windows 7.
Same issue: no administrator privileges so I haven't the choice about version I could use.

Thank you.
Ciberian
User

Post by Ciberian »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks,
I don't think setting the Portable Editor as default is the issue as you are correct in stating it is not the intended use of a Portable application. However, the Portable application should default to single instance, if not it should have a setting to allow for single or multiple instance.

Thanks.
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi All.

In new upcoming build we planning to fix the mentioned issue with Portable-Editor in next way:

- if you double-clicked the pdf and if portable-editor is associated with pdfs - it will open the pdf in the same Editor-process as well (the option "Open document in new window" will work too but it will just create a new window in context of already existing process)
- if you double-clicked the PXFXEditor.exe (or corresponding shortcut to this file) - it will start the new editor-process for sure

Hope there will be a good compromise solution for all and sorry for inconveniences..

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Special
User

Post by Special »

Yay it's fixed!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Mendelyeev
User

Post by Mendelyeev »

Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team wrote:Hi All.

In new upcoming build we planning to fix the mentioned issue with Portable-Editor in next way:

- if you double-clicked the pdf and if portable-editor is associated with pdfs - it will open the pdf in the same Editor-process as well (the option "Open document in new window" will work too but it will just create a new window in context of already existing process)
- if you double-clicked the PXFXEditor.exe (or corresponding shortcut to this file) - it will start the new editor-process for sure

Hope there will be a good compromise solution for all and sorry for inconveniences..

Cheers.

Great! :mrgreen:
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Mendelyeev
User

Post by Mendelyeev »

F-I-X-E-D !!!!!

Thank you very much!!!!!

:lol: :mrgreen:
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America