Not showing PDF image for some files

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mwidunn
User

Not showing PDF image for some files

Post by mwidunn »

I'm using: PDF Xchange Editor 6.0 Free. I'm running: Win 10 64-bit.

PDFX Editor is opening, but not showing, certain PDF files. (I tried attaching a BMP, GIF, and JPG of the problem, but it wouldn't work. I give up!.) Also, the mouse pointer disappears when hovering over the (blank) PDF image.

It is only doing this for SOME files. Other files show fine.

I have tried running "repair" from the uninstall options -- didn't work.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the software -- didn't work.

*** IT HAS NOT DONE THIS BEFORE RECENTLY ***
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Not showing PDF image for some files

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi mwidunn,

Thanks for the post - All file types other than *.pdf will need to be wrapped in a ZIP folder or RAR/7-zip archive. Please ZIP one of the screen-shot and upload it. Also, please send any sample document that displays the issue.

Lastly, please advise on the specific build of the Editor you are using.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
mwidunn
User

Post by mwidunn »

I'm using Build 319.
Attachments
SHU - Campus_Map.zip
Example PDF
(2.33 MiB) Downloaded 86 times
1_result.zip
Screen capture
(592.05 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi mwidunn,

Thanks for those - Please try clearing your temporary files folder:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/softw ... s-3273110/

HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Also a few settings to check in PDF-XChange Editor:

1) via Edit > Preferences > Page Display
Make sure that "Display large images" is activated

2) Via Edit > Preferences > Accessibility
Make sure that "Override Document Colors" is NOT activated

Best regards.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Thanks for the tip Willy :)
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
mwidunn
User

Post by mwidunn »

I cleared the Temp Files using both Disk Cleanup and CCleaner -- didn't work.
I looked at the settings you mentioned above -- they are set just as you say they should be.
I did a System Restore back to a time when this was not happening -- didn't work.
I tried PDFX's "Repair" option again -- didn't work.

Some details I forgot to mention:

* When the PDF opens as a blank page, none of the tools (viz., Hand, Snapshot, Text) works seems to work, either. The mouse pointer disappears when it hovers over the blank page. It re-appears when hovering over the tool bar or below the PDFX window.

* This whole problem only seems to affect certain files: For example, files saved to PDF from Chrome's Print feature display as blank; also, document files which have been saved as PDF in Microsoft Word 2007. OTHER FILES, however, continue to display properly.

* While working on this problem, I noticed that another completely-different software program (i. e., YTDownloader, for what it's worth) was deleted or uninstalled. Since I never touched this program in any way, I'm not sure how it got deleted or what did the deletion. Although, while the program was still listed, it only showed the option to "uninstall." Running System Restore solved this problem, though.

* I did a registry clean a few days ago with CCleaner, which is usually reliable. Nevertheless, since I did the System Restore -- which, of course, restored the registry settings -- I'm not sure that that action could mean anything.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello mwidunn,

The files you have sent us are unrelated to each other. Could you please send us the document shown in your screenshot? SHU - Campus_Map.pdf seems to open fine for us. In order to test successfully, we must use the same file to try reproducing the issue as you. Please send us # STPU - 2017 SPR - TH 120~ 14 - INTRO TO XCIANITY ... so that we can test this properly.

Thanks!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
mwidunn
User

Post by mwidunn »

Patrick-Tracker Supp wrote:Hello mwidunn,

The files you have sent us are unrelated to each other. Could you please send us the document shown in your screenshot? SHU - Campus_Map.pdf seems to open fine for us. In order to test successfully, we must use the same file to try reproducing the issue as you. Please send us # STPU - 2017 SPR - TH 120~ 14 - INTRO TO XCIANITY ... so that we can test this properly.

Thanks!
I cannot do that. The file has private information.

That's why I sent another file (i. e., the campus map), which also does not show.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Can you post at least one (non-private) PDF and also a screen shot of how it displays in PDF-XChange Editor at your side ?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Willy,

We do actually have those already, in a previous post. I can see what the issue is, but we can't reproduce it.

mwidunn - Can you send an email to support@pdf-xchange.com with a link back to this topic? I've got a set of re-installation instructions that I'd like to send that are more intensive that you may have otherwise tried.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
mwidunn
User

Post by mwidunn »

I've tried reverting to a previous version of PDFX, namely, vers. 5.5.

It's still not working as you can see from the attached screen capture.

IF IT HELPS: The problem seems to affect especially any PDF created from Microsoft Office 2007 or from Chrome's "Save as PDF." Other PDF files are displaying correctly.
Attachments
PDFX version.zip
(752.78 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Thanks for the new example files.

I suppose the problem may come from a problem with "font" rendering.
At my side, I do not have a problem with your PDF file.

I do not know if it is possible to execute some additional tests, to detect where the problem could come from:
- open the PDF in an other PDF-editor or viewer on the same pc, and see if you also have the problem
- verify if you have a problem with showing the "pictures" in a PDF

You say that the problem is particularly with PDFs made from within MS Word 2007.
- can you make a test-document (in MS Word 2007) with the font "Arial" instead of "Times New Roman" or "Helvetica" and check if this makes a difference when it is saved as PDF and opened in PDF-XChange Editor ?

I replaced the "Times New Roman" font in your PDF to "Arial" and attached it to this post.
Can you now see the text, or still not ?

Best regards.
Attachments
# STPU - 2017 SPR - TH 120~12 - INTRO TO XCIANITY - ATTENDANCE - 1 - Arial.pdf
(37.26 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
mwidunn
User

Post by mwidunn »

Okay, here is some more odd info:

* I uninstall PDFX Editor 6.0. Then, I revert to PDFX Editor 5.5 whose .exe I've still had saved in my "Downloads" folder. After installing 5.5, everything seems to work fine . . . that is, as long as I use the "Folder" button in the upper lefthand corner of the PDFX window. The files which I could not open then open fine.

* However, after I update PDFX via Tracker Updater, then problems occur: For instance, after re-booting the computer I find that the PDFXEdit.exe has been totally deleted! Hence, it will not work.

* Although the .exe is gone, Tracker Updater still shows PDFX 6.0 as installed, except that it's not there anymore.

See attached.
Attachments
Untitled2.zip
(436.43 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi mwidunn,

Please completely uninstall and re-install the Editor Version 6, if you have not done so already (do not use uninstallation software like CC Cleaner):
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/downloads

Once done, can you please confirm whether or not Willy's modified file works correctly for you?

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)