Mail Merge & Forms

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

8fjrode3
User

Mail Merge & Forms

Post by 8fjrode3 »

I have Editor v5 & 6. I'd like to create personalized fillable forms. I have a list of people & forms they need to complete. I'd like their names to appear in the forms (e.g. Does Ted play well?). I've been replacing names in the document with MS word mail merge (merging the list of names with the form). Is there a way to do this, or something similar, with Xchange Editor?
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Mail Merge & Forms

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello 8fjrode3,

Thanks for the post. I am not sure what you mean by "Mail and merge" but you can create fillable forms if you have an Editor Plus or XChange PRO license with valid maintenance. This is a recent feature, so you should install the latest version if you have not done so already: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE6.zip

Please find instructions on using the Edit Form feature in the PDF manual in the link below (Pages 461 - 503)

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/downlo ... XE6MAN.zip

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I suppose that 8fjrode3 would like to create customized/personalized fill-able PDF-forms.

Like he says, for each person that is going to complete a copy of the form, he would like that the name of that person should already be present into its copy of that form.

A similar functionality is available in MS Word by using the "mail-merge" feature. This means that you create a basic document with one or more mail-merge-variables. Next to this document, you have a second file or document that contains one or more records with the variables that must be filled in. During the mail-merge, Word will generate a personalized document for each record.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Willy,

Thaks for clarifying that.

8fjrode3,

You can set a field variable to auto-evaluate and place the username. To do this, set the value calculation of a text field to "Custom Action" then choose "Run a JavaScript".

Click the ... to open the JS console and enter the code below.

Code: Select all

if((identity.name != null) && !/^\s*$/.test(identity.name))
	event.value = identity.name;
else
	event.value = identity.loginName.replace(/\./g," ").replace(/\./g,"\n").replace(/\b(\w)/g,function(Word,cFst){return cFst.toUpperCase()});
Now, go to File> Document Properties> JavaScript. Click on "Add" then enter the following code.

Code: Select all

this.calculateNow();
When naming this JS action, I recommend naming it "run_calc". Without this second code, the value will only be calculated when the form is reset. Attached, you will find a basic form with these functions that should show your name when you open it. This is what I see:

I hope this helps!
Attachments
auto_name.pdf
(4.39 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America