much printing data

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

iljur
User

much printing data

Post by iljur »

Hi there,

I recognized for a long time that PDF-XChange Editor produces very much (3 GB out of a 200 A4 pages file) printing data (visible in the print queue). This obviously slows down my printer (HP OJ Pro 451) to 1 page/5sec. Very annoying!
If I print out the same file with the foxit reader (sorry) it generates only 1/10 of the data amount and printing is as fast as expected.

I really like the PDF-XChange Editor and think paying for it is a good idea. Please fix that issue. Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Gerrit
Best regards,
iljur
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: much printing data

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Check in the Print dialog box if "Print as Images" has not been checked accidentally and also via clicking the "More..." button, verify if the "Text Rendering Mode" has been set to "Auto" or "Outline", NOT Bitmap.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Good suggestions, much appreciated Willy :)

Gerrit - Please do check what Willy has suggested and let us know if that helps.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
iljur
User

Post by iljur »

OK, this seems to be solved.

The "Print as image"-Box was not checked. But the "Text Rendering Mode" was set to "Outline" (?!). Setting it to "Auto" solved the problem.

Thank you very much!

Cheers
Best regards,
iljur
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Having the font option set to "Outline" by default is a problem, because that turns text into vector graphics.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Timur,

When printing on paper this produces much more consistent results. I remember with the Viewer that was printing as text - we had to pretty much constantly make changes and fixes to accomodate each new printer and driver which was a never ending battle.
When "printing" back to PDF - yes information is lost, but given the myriad of tools the Editor offers - reprinting a PDF back to PDF should not be necessary.

Regards,
Stefan
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

There is one thing I do with the Editor that requires printing from a pdf to a pdf. Patrick mentioned back in November of 2015 that the developers were working on a feature that would allow me to avoid doing this. Please see Patrick's reply below and the attached file. Has any progress been made on this feature?

Thank you.

Fri Nov 27, 2015

Thank you for the files. It's very clear what it is you are trying to do. For now, the only way is your current method. However, I have just spoken with the development team, and they have informed me that they are actually working on a feature that will have many of the same settings as when printing, without the need to print the document.

Hopefully that feature will be implemented soon.
Attachments
Downloads.zip
(28.13 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Arnold,

From your files, it appears that you're merging the content of multiple pages, so that it all fits on one page; is that correct? If so, I can see that the developers have an open workitem for the feature, but nothing more. An open workitem means that this is on our radar, but I can't offer information on when it would be completed, at this time.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
iljur
User

Post by iljur »

Hi there,

I am sorry but I have to come back to the topic again.

I should have said in my last post "...solved it for now." Because the same problem is here again.

Tried out "TExt rendering mode" Auto, Outline, ... All same results in >3 GB printing data for 180 A4 pages.

Any idea?

Thank you fpr your reply.
Best regards,
iljur
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi iljur,

Thanks for the post - Can you please send a sample document and screen-shot of the print dialog, and the advanced print options?

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
iljur
User

Post by iljur »

Hi Will,

I played around a bit and figured out that the big data is generated only if more than one copy is printed and "Collate" is checked. Than there will be reproduceable >3 GB of print data.
In all other cases there will only be about 160 MB which is perfectly fine.

(But in all cases the print output (editor to print driver) is quite slow in comparison to other readers...)

Just cropped the pages (to get some sensitive content out) of the attached file and realized that now there are only 840 MB print data generated in comparison to 42 MB by printing only one copy. But still factor 20...

Hope you can figure that out and fix it. Quite annoying issue for me.

Thank you very much.
Attachments
Paulus_Statik_20170209_send.pdf
(2.6 MiB) Downloaded 149 times
print dialogs.pdf
(141.85 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Best regards,
iljur
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello iljur,

Thanks for these!
I've asked a colleague from the dev team working on the printing to take a look at this and we will advise as soon as we have any further information.

Regards,
Stefan
iljur
User

Post by iljur »

Any news?
Best regards,
iljur
iljur
User

Post by iljur »

Stefan,
I am a paying customer and if you want me to stay PLEASE give me a short update. Do you think that would be possible?
Best regards,
iljur
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello iljur,

I am sorry there's been a delay in following this up.
I will now go and speak with the project leader directly, and we will post again here shortly with further news!

Regards,
Stefan
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

It seems that the driver related issue. I just tried to print your file on "HP P2055dn" (driver "HP LaserJet P205X series PCL6 Class Driver"), and the spool job takes 14.3MB no matter number of copies printed.

Will investigate a bit more to find out what exactly causes the issue with your driver.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

I found where the issue was and fixed it.

Now, with my P2055dn printer, the spool job takes 7.71MB; and with HP Universal PCL6 (the best I was able to install for your kind of printer) - 12.7MB
And as a side-effect - spooling is much faster now.

The fix will be available in a new build, which we expect to release in a couple weeks.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
iljur
User

Post by iljur »

Hi Ivan,
this is very good news. Thank you very much.
I will test the fixed version as soon as possible.
Best regards,
iljur
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
iljur
User

Post by iljur »

Works like a charm! Thank you for the excellent support!
Best regards,
iljur
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello iljur,

Thanks for confirming that!
Glad to hear it's resolved now!

Cheers,
Stefan