Feature request for select custom styles shorcut

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ArchStanton
User

Feature request for select custom styles shorcut

Post by ArchStanton »

Hello, I've just upgraded from 5.5.313.1 to the latest version. Being on Linux + wine, I'm glad to see all the bugs of the older versions are gone.

One thing has changed in worse imo: I cannot bind two commands to the same key combination anymore. I used to do this to highlight with different colours using the 'select text tool' + 'highlight text' combo instead of the 'highlight text tool'. I just needed to set the custom style to the same key as the select text tool, so I could double tap that key to get the desired behaviour. I find it more practical because the selected text doesn't get highlighted as soon as I release the mouse button while making a selection, so I can resize the selection before I highlight it. Using the same keys was just quicker but it is important to me because I do it countless times.

So my request is: if you can, allow for two 'select text tool' and custom comment styles commands to be bound to the same shortcut, or better yet, allow for the custom styles to be selected without activating the highlight tool.

Thanks
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Feature request for select custom styles shorcut

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi ArchStanton,

Thanks for the post - This has been possible for quite some time and is still possible in the latest release, for me. I'm able to set the keyboard shortcut for both the Select Text tool and Highlighter tool, to Ctrl + H without issue. Are you using build 319? Do you have access to a native Windows test machine? If so, please test on native Windows to see if this is a Wine specific issue.

Custom styles can be issued shortcuts and can also be placed on the toolbar. Please see here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... cific-Tool

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

I'll have a look as soon as I can put my hands on a Windows box, tomorrow at the latest. Thank you for your patience.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

No worries, keep us posted!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

Nope, "douple tap" doesn't work on Windows neither. I'll give you some details:
  • Linux test:
    • Ubuntu 16.04
      Wine 1.8
      Editor v. 6.0.319.0 Portable (tried both versions with OCR and not)
    Windows test
    • Windows 10
      Editor 6.0.319.0 Portable and 64bit msi.
What I used to have is 'Select text tool' bound to both ',' and '.' and two custom styles bound one to ',' and the other one to '.'. Hitting ',' or '.' once selected the colour and activated 'Highlight text tool', pressing it the second time brought me back to 'Select text tool'. I know it's kind of trivial, but it was a killer feature to me since I could change colour quickly and without getting distracted while studying.

An even better solution, imho, would be not to activate 'Highlight text tool' when switching to a certain style, just change the colour and keep whatever tool was active. This way one could keep 'Select text tool' or 'Highlight text tool' selected, according to their tastes, and switch colour with just one keypress. Please bear with me, trying to get my degree has turned me into some kind of pedantic pdf readers' cognitive ergonomics expert...

As always, thanks for your amazing work, keep it up!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi ArchStanton,

Ah! Understood and my apologies - I hadn't tested switching between the two tools in the latest release, just tested assigning the shortcuts. I've just re-tested to see if the two tools would cycle and they don't. I'm fairly sure that this used to be the case, as you mentioned (unless we're both crazy!). I've made a ticket out for this (RT-3765), but please be aware that given the nature of the issue it's not likely to be seen as a high priority at this time.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

Thank you (-:
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)