Can't use PDF-XChange Browser plugin

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Seeker45
User

Can't use PDF-XChange Browser plugin

Post by Seeker45 »

Hi,

On my PC (Win 7) I am running 6.0.318.1 and Fixefox 50, and I can choose "PDF-XChange Editor (in Firefox)" for displaying PDF-documents inline in the Firefox-Browser. On our terminal server (Win 2008 R2) we are running 6.0.318.1 and Fixefox 45 ESR, but I cannot choose that option, because it is not available. The only option is to open the PDF-file with PDF-XChange Editor.

The 6.0.318.1 installation on our terminal server has all browser plugins installed, and it is shown as an active add-on in Firefox. The Acrobat plugin is disabled. Under PDF-XChange Editor Preferences, File Associations, I have activated PDF-XChange Editor for all items. I have also looked at your knoledgebase KB388. All to no avail.

What else can I check? Thanks.

Cheers
Ralf

EDIT: Corrected "Viewer" into "Editor"
Last edited by Seeker45 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Can't use PDFX-Change Browser plugin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for the post - Are you using the 64-bit Firefox? If so, then this is happening because Firefox are in the process of removing support for NPAPI plugins and have already removed support in the 64-bit version, they will eventually remove support in the 32-bit installation as well.

If that's not the case, then I would recommend trying the Editor, as the Viewer is no longer supported.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Seeker45
User

Re: Can't use PDFX-Change Browser plugin

Post by Seeker45 »

I would recommend trying the Editor
Sorry, I got distracted by the KB-entry. Certainly, we are running the Editor.

And, yes, I think that we have the 64bit-version, and if I understand you correctly, going to 32bits is also not a long-term solution.

Is there another way to activate "PDF-XChange Editor (in Firefox)"? Thank you.

Cheers
Ralf
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Can't use PDF-XChange Browser plugin

Hi Ralf,

No worries!
And, yes, I think that we have the 64bit-version, and if I understand you correctly, going to 32bits is also not a long-term solution.
Unfortunately not, I don't know when support for NPAPI plugins in the 32-bit version will be removed, but it's likely to be within the next year or two.

Unfortunately Mozilla, like Google with Google Chrome, do not provide a stable and complex enough API to create an alternative in-browser plugin. It's appears that this is a new trend in that browser companies are taking user security into their own hands without offering their users any choice or option and there's very little that we can do about it at this time. Hopefully they will come out with a stable and complex API that will allow us to create an alternative in the not-to-distant future.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Seeker45
User

Post by Seeker45 »

Hi Will,

I have the feedback from our admin that we are using the 32bit-Version. Does this lead to any further thoughts?

Thanks.

Ralf
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Ralf,

As can be seen here:
https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases ... n-firefox/
Mozilla are planning to stop NPAPI support even in the 32 bit version by the end of the year, and we are now almost 1/2 way through December, so it might be that this is already in place - and now the only browsers that support our plug-ins are older versions of FF, Chrome, IE, and pre Chrome engine versions of Opera.

Regards,
Stefan
Seeker45
User

Post by Seeker45 »

Ok, I see. Then, please send a note to Mozilla development that they need to include the PDF-XChange features in their native PDF-rendering with the next release :lol:

Cheers
Ralf
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:lol: It would be wonderful if they did, but it's unlikely! We can always try though :wink:
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)