logical page numbers and printing

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

random11
User

logical page numbers and printing

Post by random11 »

Not sure if this is by design, but the "Use logical page numbers" option is not respected in the printing dialog.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: logical page numbers and printing

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello random11,

Thanks for your e-mail and suggestion.
Indeed I see that Adobe does allow you to use logical page numbers in the print dialogue and we do not.
I believe this behaviour they offer is more prone to cause problems than the current one we have.
Please take a look at the attached screenshot. I have added some red numbers on some of the pages - those are following the absolute numbering of the pages in the document. You can also see that pages 1-2 and 6-8 are using Roman logical page numbers, and they both start at I - this is perfectly fine and allowed by the specification. Also pages 3-5 and 9 onwards are using numerical page ranges - both starting at 1. This is also allowed and not forbidden. I know it is an unusual to have such a document page numbers layout - but with it it's not possible to print the pages with the red numbers 6 and 7 or only pages 6, 7 and 8 (if you type I - III - adobe will print all the first 8 pages).
I will pass this request to the dev team for consideration - but can not guarantee that it will be approved.

Regards,
Stefan
Attachments
use_case.zip
(106.32 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
random11
User

Post by random11 »

Haha, what an awesome example.
But you'd expect to use the same page numbers for printing as the ones you see at the bottom while scrolling through. The way it is right now with Editor, you have to remember to manually offset page ranges every time you print.

So, you're likely to print wrong pages if:
a) you're dealing with a rare, weirdly and ambiguously numbered document;
b) you're using Editor and you've simply forgotten to shift every page number you need by some amount.

Which do you think is more common?
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi random11,

We've just spoken to the dev team and they have confirmed that a feature request exists for this, and that it will be implemented in a future release.

Cheers! :D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
random11
User

Post by random11 »

That's great to hear, thanks!
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
fabio.colonnese
User

Post by fabio.colonnese »

is there any update about this issue? this is the only thing that prevent us buying the software for all PC in our company (100 PC)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Fabio,

We are currently working on a ribbon interface for the Editor - so the feature discussed in this topic has not been worked on yet - but it is still in our to-do list and we will eventually implement it. Apologies that I do not have any more specific dates for it at this moment!

Regards,
Stefan
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

There are other dialogs, too, where logical numbering would make sense. Page extraction and especially (!) search results come to mind. If some users are confused and don't want it then they can disable it, but those who enable logical numbering usually want it consistently throughout the UI.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Timur,

Thanks for your feedback as well! Indeed - I agree that having the page numbers consistently everywhere is a good approach. Unfortunately some other higher priority tasks have put this a bit behind!

Regards,
Stefan
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I forgot to mention the Content browser, where I regularly try to pinpoint the correct page when the main document uses logical page numbering. ;)
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Timur,

Thanks for mentioning it! I suspect once this is implemented that logical page numbers will be shown globally when activated.

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Nemo
User

Post by Nemo »

Is there any news on when printing by logical page number will be implemented?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Nemo,

Please take a look at my reply in your other topic on this subject:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36891

Kind regards,
Stefan