Menu -> Advanced -> Bookmark Table of Content... PageOffset?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

dxcarnadi
User

Menu -> Advanced -> Bookmark Table of Content... PageOffset?

Post by dxcarnadi »

Hello

How to set the Page Offset?

In the Online Help .. I read ..

"Page Offset ?
This is the difference between "PHYSICAL PAGE NUMBERS IN THE PDF DOCUMENT" and "PRINTED PAGE NUMBERS" which can be positive or negative."

1. "PHYSICAL PAGE NUMBERS IN THE PDF DOCUMENT"
2. "PRINTED PAGE NUMBERS"

Why plural ... page-numberS?
Where can I see them .. (after I marked the TOC)? Thank you.
Can you please give me an example?
Sean - Tracker
Site Admin

Re: Menu -> Advanced -> Bookmark Table of Content... PageOff

Post by Sean - Tracker »

Hi dxcarnadi,

In response to your queries:

1. The Page Offset can be set in the Bookmark Table of Contents dialog box, which launches when the "Bookmark Table of Contents" option is selected in the Advanced tab.

2. The page numbers are plural because more than one page is referenced.

3. It is not possible to "see" the page offset, as it takes place in the background, but in relation to your query please note the following:

"Separate bookmarks will be created for each TOC entry. Each bookmark will point to the destination page as it is listed in the corresponding TOC entry. Optionally, a link is added to each TOC entry that points to the corresponding page. This operation uses page labels to resolve page numbers. If the TOC has a non-numeric entry (such as i, ii, ix, A-1, B-2) then the software looks for a page with this label and creates bookmarks/links to this page if it is present in the current PDF document. If a page with such labels or page numbering does not exist in the current document, then no bookmark/link is generated. It is easy to assign non-numeric page labels or create non-continuous page numbering using the "Thumbnails" panel. Sometimes, page numbers printed on PDF pages do not match physical page numbers. There are two ways to work with these documents. The first method is to assign page labels that match printed page numbers using the "Thumbnail" panel. the second method is to specify a page offset in the settings dialog (as indicated above). The page offset is added to the page numbers found in the TOC to resolve to correct physical page numbers. For example, if the TOC has an entry "Introduction.....10" that points to a "logical" page 10, but in reality this section starts on "physical" page 12. Entering 2 as the page offset will automatically adjust page numbers to the correct locations. The first method is the preferable way to deal with "logical" page numbers in PDF documents. It is more flexible and can accommodate all kinds of page numbering schemes include non-numeric ones."

I hope this clarifies things for you - if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to get back in touch.

Sean

Tracker Software
Sean Godley
Technical Writer
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623
dxcarnadi
User

Post by dxcarnadi »

Hello

My ToDo list .. please see the pictures in the attachment:
1. mark/select TOC till the TOC-end -> see that TOC-begin at book-page 7
2. "Introduction" at real-page 13 of 356 - see the counter at below-center of actual page
3. set Page Offset to 6 (= 13 minus 7) -> and press OK to build the TOC-bookmarks
4. TOC-bookmarks are built! see the bookmarks-page.

But sometimes .. no happy-end .. I get no (clean) TOC-bookmarks.
Why? What could be the reasons? .. the states of the ebook-file?
Thank you.
Attachments
Making TOC-bookmarks.zip
(610.84 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi dxcarnadi,

Can you please be more specific here? What do you mean by:
But sometimes .. no happy-end .. I get no (clean) TOC-bookmarks.
Why? What could be the reasons? .. the states of the ebook-file?
I don't see any issues in your screen-shot. Can you send a sample file?

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
dxcarnadi
User

Post by dxcarnadi »

Hello

Is my ToDo list correct?
Are there other ways before setting Page Offset and pressing OK to use successfully "Bookmark Table of Contents" to generate TOC-bookmarks?

I try to understand the long explanation of Sean.
I want to convert his explanation into ToDo-list(s) or orderly instructions.
Thank you.
dxcarnadi
User

uncommon Table of Contents

Post by dxcarnadi »

Hello

Can I use this uncommon TOC (see attachment) to generate TOC bookmarks?
How?
Thank you.
Attachments
TOC - Modern Control Theory.pdf
(378.84 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi dxcarnadi,

You can certainly try, but I doubt the results will be great - the scan is fairly poor quality and the OCR recognition is not going to produce fantastic results, so you might find some strange bookmarks or bookmarks that don't necessarily correlate correctly.

I'd recommend that you re-scan the document at a higher DPI, with deskew and despeckle turned on, then OCR the new scan and try.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com