Keep viewport when flipping pages

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

sbp
User

Keep viewport when flipping pages

Post by sbp »

Dear support,

I am looking for a feature to flip pages without changing the zoom level and the area of the paper I am looking at.
The reason for this is that I am looking at a A0 drawing of a building and I am only interested in a axis in the lower right end of the paper. On the next page I will find this exact same axis for the next floor level.
As I am zoomed in to 150%, switching to the next page let's me end up in the top left corner and I have to navigate to the interesting area.

The "switch view" arrows are not helpful in this case, as I will always end up in this intermediate location (top left) and as well I will never be able to exactly adjust my view.

I already tried to add destinations to my pdf, but again no exact adjustment is possible.

Is there any setting I could use, solving this problem?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Keep viewport when flipping pages

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi sbp,

unfortunately that is not possible with the Editor as it is. I can see the usefulness of this so I created a Feature Request to that effect: RT#3678: Feature Request : Navigate pages with fixed zoom and pan

This is not a promise that the feature will be implemented but a commitment to looking into the practicality of it.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
mzarchtech
User

Post by mzarchtech »

This is a feature that would be extremely useful to our office. Any update on its status?
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

As a workaround in the meantime, maybe this could be used:

Enable:
Highlight Visible Area and
Interactive Highlighted Area
...and then browse your pages by clicking on the respective area of the thumbnail.

Regards
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi David,

Thank you for your suggestion and workaround! I am afraid this ticket is still set to 'New'. We will let you know if there is a change.

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
mzarchtech
User

Post by mzarchtech »

That's good to know, David, though it only works precisely when the highlighted area is confined to a corner of the page, otherwise alignment will not be exact.

Another workaround which does allow exact alignment is to use the loupe tool with "track mouse" option enabled. Zoom to fit the whole page in the main window, then change pages using keyboard, while leaving the mouse.in the area of interest.

Would be nice to have a simple shortcut though, something quick like ctrl+arrow key, or alt+mousewheel.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Yes MZ, fully agree. And thanks to Patrick for updating us on the status!
Cheers
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

I must say that I agree as well that this would be a wonderful feature! I will do what I can to make sure it is given the appropriate amount of attention.

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
user65536
User

Post by user65536 »

Hello

How is the progress on "RT#3678: Feature Request : Navigate pages with fixed zoom and pan", we have just reached its 3 years anniversary? The work arounds suggested in this discussion do not suit my user case.

Regards
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello user65536,

Ticket 3678 has been merged wtih:
#3720: FR: Variable Zoom in continuous mode when pages are different sizes

But I am afraid that neither of them is yet resolved.

Regards,
Stefan