View embedded Multimedia support?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

katqanna
User

View embedded Multimedia support?

Post by katqanna »

I purchased this software recently, partly because I needed the ability to embed online video into my pdf pages for a digital online magazine newsletter - a flip PDF.

I thought this would give me the capability of embedding a video, much like you do for social media or web design. I need to be able to embed conservation videos onto a page. While I could take a screenshot of the video and link that, I thought it would be easier to simply embed, but going through the options, help files, even searches at this forum, I am not seeing the "embedded multimedia".

Am I missing something?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: View embedded Multimedia support?

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

Whilst viewing embedding video and sound is possible I am afraid that at this time embedding this is not yet possible - though should be coming during the new year.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
EddyHicks
User

Re: View embedded Multimedia support? (and create?)

Post by EddyHicks »

I see it's been a couple of years since the last post on this topic but I want to know if embedded video (ie rich media) has been implemented? We need this functionality and I have been trying different PDF Editors. The few that I have found that can do embedded video, other than Adobe, are lacking in some other way. The PDF-Xchange product seems to have everything else we're looking for including a very clean interface.

Please confirm. Thank you!

- Eddy
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello EddyHicks,

Currently we only support viewing Flash content, but are working on support for other formats, as well as the ability to create video annotations. PDF cannot support playing all video formats, so there will be some cases where it is not going to be possible to view the content in the Editor and you will need to attach the video file to be viewed in an external viewer instead.
We do not have a set timeline for this added functionality, as we are still deciding which method to use, but hope that we can bring it soon.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
JMuschaweck
User

Post by JMuschaweck »

Are there any plans and a timeline to support embedding video? Flash is deeply flawed with security issues, so that's not a viable option
TrackerSupp-JohnG
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-JohnG »

Hello,

Thankyou for your enquiry. While it is possible to view existing embedded video on a document, we currently do not support the embedding of videos into a new document. This feature is planned for the future however, we cannot provide a timeline on this at this time.

Kind regards,
John Gareth
Support Technician

Support: <Support@tracker-software.com>
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

In case you are satisfied with a work-around:

In a PDF you can embed whatever kind of other file you like: Office files (DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLS, PPT, PPTX, TXT, RTF, ...), Video files (MP4, MOV, AVI, ...). Even though, to open the embedded file(s), you will mostly need an appropriate application like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Notepad, or in case of video files, Windows Media Player or another multimedia player.

In case you embed a file directly via the Attachments pane (View-menu > Other panes > Attachments // View-ribbon > Panes > Attachments), your correspondents or destination people must know that they need to open the Attachments pane in their PDF-application too, to see your embedded file(s).

So, to make it easier for them to immediately see that there are embedded files, you can better use the File Attachment comment tool ("Paper Clip"-symbol in the toolbar or in the Comments-ribbon) to embed your file(s). Next to the paper clip symbol that will be inserted on the page in your PDF, you can put a small text like "Please double-click the paper clip to play the video.".

@JMuschaweck : please let us know if this work-around is useful to you.
In case of a Yes, this solution can also be used as a reference for other people too.

Best regards.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Good stuff Willy,

also - you can now create Portfolios with the Editor, you could put the video files in a portfolio with links to the videos. Again, the users would see the videos played in their default video application, not viewed in the page through the Editor.

https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe8/index.html?pdf-portfolio_ed.html
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
bqxmprij
User

Post by bqxmprij »

Has this been added? I am using 9.353.0. The only thing I can find is to add 3D files (.u3d and .prc). I would like to embed a .mp4. I would like to have it play in the pdf, not just attach it to then launch another program.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

At this moment, it seems like only Ad*be Acr*bat DC Pro is offering a possibility to embed video material in the new way (movie15).
Flash video format (media9) is no longer supported in DC Pro.

Unfortunately, it also seems like the video controls to play, pause and stop the video are only available in DC Pro and not working yet in Ad*be Reader DC (nor in PDF-XChange Editor).

More information and example pdf's on the internet:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORLcqWjzrB8
- https://gitlab.com/agrahn/media9/-/issues/9

@Tracker Software Support
Please feel free to remove the above hyperlinks in case it would be too much off topic for PDF-XChange Editor.

Best regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Willy Van Nuffel

No problem with the links, as we do not offer these features yet, it is indeed a viable alternative some users may need to know about. AS for Bqxmrij's inquiry, This is not yet something that we offer, the biggest trouble with implementing this over something that might seem more complex (like 3D for example) is the sheer volume of formats that need to be properly supported. I forget the exact figures, but in terms of widely used and commonly accepted formats, there is somewhere in the range of 20-30+ different formats that are commonly used for video embedding, unlike 3D which had a whopping... 2... formats for us to support.

This means that, with something like 3D it was an easy decision to say "okay, we will start out, support this main format, and get to work on having the other supported shortly after". With Video, we need to either immediately support all commonly used formats (which is a massive undertaking), or decide which ones we will support at the start and slowly add new ones over time. Though the second option sounds better, it would cause a major rift for people often handling multiple different files with varying formats, as they would expect it to work the same way, and discover it does not work at all in most cases despite being a "feature" we offer.

In the end, we will most likely be waiting until we can support a large amount of the major formats before this is implemented and available. Due to this, you can expect that, even as of today, this will still likely be a long term item.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
sqgl
User

Post by sqgl »

John - Tracker Supp wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:29 pm viewing embedding video and sound is possible
I embedded audio with Acrobat Pro but clicking on the play button does nothing in PDF-XChange.
It has been seven years since you wrote so maybe something broke in the meantime.

The same play button works fine in Acrobat Pro.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello sqgl,

Can we please have a copy of that sample file so that we can test it on our end?

Kind regards,
Stefan