Viewing side by side pages

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

expomed inc.
User

Viewing side by side pages

Post by expomed inc. »

Hey All, I need to view 2 *separate* pdf files side by side. I've read the help file and it didn't seem to have directions for 2 different files. Any help would be appreciated, thanks
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Viewing side by side pages

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

If your two PDF's are open in one PDF-XChange Editor window, then you will see a tab for each PDF.
You can then drag one of the tabs to create a new (second) window.

You can also set the preference in PDF-XChange Editor to open each additional document in a new window, via the Edit-menu > Preferences > Documents > Setup... (in the "Tabs and Windows" zone) > activate the second option.

Once you have two separate windows, it is just a matter of positioning them side by side.

Best regards.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Willy,

Thanks for the tip.

expomed inc. You may also go to Window> Active document to new ____ tab group.

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Sean - Tracker
Site Admin

Post by Sean - Tracker »

Please see these pages of the Editor manual for the information discussed above:

https://help.pdf-xchange.com/EUM/de ... :documents

https://help.pdf-xchange.com/EUM/de ... it6:window

Hope this helps,

Sean Godley

Last edited by Sean - Tracker on Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sean Godley
Technical Writer
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623
expomed inc.
User

Post by expomed inc. »

Thanks, Patrick had the answer that helped. Thanks to all
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

Patrick-Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Willy,

Thanks for the tip.

expomed inc. You may also go to Window> Active document to new ____ tab group.

I hope this helps!
If this was available in 317.1, then I totally missed it. In my mind, this allows 2 different documents, side by side within the same instance of the Editor. I can't see how implementing the currently disabled Window/New Window would bring more value.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

The "New window" option is just for opening twice (or more) the same PDF in separate and independent windows.

Actually (with PDF-XChange Editor 6.0, build 318.0), this is not possible.

Best regards.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Willy,

given that one can use Window --> Split to view the same PDF in two separate windows it is unlikely that we will also enable multiple instances of the same PDF. I do believe that the current methods used for frames rather than instances would make it difficult.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
http://www.tracker-software.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Hello,

If I understand it correctly, there is no much hope left for those people that were looking forward for the "New Window" feature:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 62&t=26726

To be honest, I never tried this out in Microsoft Word 2010, but now I did. And, it seems like it is not possible neither to open the same document in two different instances. Even though it is possible to open two different documents in separate instances.

So, I believe it must not be that simple to obtain editing possibilities on a same file via two separate instances at the same time.

Remark:
In the old PDF-XChange Viewer it is possible to open the same PDF in two different instances, but when you try to save, you get an "Error [IO subsystem] Invalid access mode". And, there is also no synchronization between the two windows: changes made in one window are not visible in the other. So, there the desired feature is not working neither.

Best regards.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Sorry Willy -- but I'll have to say nay to your entire post this time :o

For example, already in the ancient Word 2003, you can open as many instances (i.e. windows) of the same Word file and edit all of them at the same time without the slightest problem. Same goes for Word 2010:

Adobe Acrobat does this as well. Also in Word, Acrobat, PDF-XChange Editor and in many other editors, you can split a document window and edit two different pages of your file at the same time. Splitting a document window into two independent panes or into two separate windows however is not that much different from a programming point of view.

So technically speaking, the "New Window" feature is not very special or difficult -- but a rather basic (and incredibly useful) function of many editors.

With PDF-XChange Editor, it could be a matter of simply turning a pane of a split window into a separate window like in the below mockup screenshot from this discussion:

Image.

In my view, the "New Window" feature is still very desirable. I actually missed it today, where I would have needed to work on a 1000+ pages PDF document on three different pages at the same time.

Regards,
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:)
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Does that smiling emoticon means that we still may hope or does it show an enjoy for my mistake?

I must indeed admit that I was wrong about Word. I opened a second instance and tried to open the same document.
I did not use the "New Window" icon. Shame, shame. :oops:

Thanks David for pointing that out.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Willy,

There is still hope for the feature as the placeholder has not been removed. I do not know exactly how it will function, but I suspect it will be something along the lines of how David described it.

Cheers :)
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote:The "New window" option is just for opening twice (or more) the same PDF in separate and independent windows.

Actually (with PDF-XChange Editor 6.0, build 318.0), this is not possible.

Best regards.
It seems that Window/Split/vertical gets you there.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Well I find the discussion healthy and interesting.

There are no promises on how it will turn out. The lads need a break after the long hours they pulled getting 318 out so lets give them until next week before I beat them over the head with this discussion?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
http://www.tracker-software.com