Text boxes and exporting comments

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

asbic consultants ltd
User

Text boxes and exporting comments

Post by asbic consultants ltd »

Currently running V5.5 Build 316.1 and it says updates are current.

My main use of Editor is to annotate a pdf drawing. When the issue version of the drawing changes I export my comments and then import them into the new version of the drawing. Lately the last month or so any text box that is not as per the original 0 degrees acts very oddly. Any text box that is rotated moves from its original location. Some text boxes enlarge in one or both directions. Today I had a text box that enlarged to cover the whole page. Very annoying!! My workaround was to look at the comments list and click each one. if I could see the box corners then it was Ok, if I couldn't see the corners it wasn't Ok and I deleted that. However thats not really a good work around.

Is this a glitch? Silly question....obviously its a glitch but it needs fixing.

Regards, Bruce
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Text boxes and exporting comments

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello Bruce,

Thank toy for the post and your question.

I, personally, haven't seen this behaviour before, but one of my colleagues in the office has and suggested to test it in latest version of the Editor.

Please update and check if the problem persists in version 317.1.

You can find the latest version of our products here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads

Regards,
Radi
asbic consultants ltd
User

Hi

Problem is still there with 317.1.

And now a second question as well.... in 316.1 when I went to <help> <check for updates> it said no new updates were found but you told me that there was a new one 317.1. Why didn't it find it?

Regards

Bruce
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Bruce,

Can you provide one such sample file with annotations, and some screenshots (or a video) illustrating the issue?

As for the updater tool - if you have a license - it should not show versions for which your license is not valid, but there might have been a glitch with your system and it was just not detecting the new version available.

Regards,
Stefan
asbic consultants ltd
User

Hi Stefan

I don't mind sending the files direct to you but as they are reasonably confidential I don't want to post them to all and sundry. Can you please provide an email address

Regards

Bruce
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:... As for the updater tool - if you have a license - it should not show versions for which your license is not valid, but there might have been a glitch with your system and it was just not detecting the new version available.

Regards,
Stefan
I've had this issue since I began using the product. Again today, from 6.0.317.0, I did "check for updates" which returned "no new updates are available", while 6.0.317.1 is available.

No big deal since I review the forum on a regular basis, but the functionality seems to be broken.

How can I narrow this issue down further?
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hi asbic consultants ltd, claude vidal,

@asbic consultants ltd, please do send the files to support@pdf-xchange.com and include a link to this topic.

@claude vidal, you shouldn't experience this problem in the newer versions of our updater.
Some of the possible reasons for this behaviour might be your firewall or anti-virus software - they can block our updater from connecting to the internet.

Regards,
Radi
asbic consultants ltd
User

I've found a workaround until you fix the problem

Open comments list and select all items. You can't copy from here but on the drawing where all items now have their boxes around them you can right click copy which copies everything. then you can paste it into the new drawing. You have to manually move it into position but thats a breeze

Regards

Bruce
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Bruce,

I'm glad that you have a workaround, but unless we have the files and are able to reproduce the issue with them, there's a good chance we won't be able to fix the issue. Were you able to send the files and, if so, did you receive a response?

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
asbic consultants ltd
User

Yes I sent the files and Stefan responded in an email to me on 12 July

"We had one of our colleagues from the dev team check your files, and he actually found two separate issues - both with the exporting and then with the importing process, so I've made two separate tickets in our internal system:
#3597: Editor 317.1: Incorrect export of annotations from a file (both fdf and xfdf)

#3598: Editor 317.1: Issues with importing comments from file (both fdf and xfdf)

That will allow us to track and fix those issues. We will e-mail you back as soon as any of the two is resolved."
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Awesome, thanks for the info. Bruce :)

If that's the case, then the Dev. Team will resolve this as soon as they're able and I'm glad to hear that you have a workaround in the meantime!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
franzi
User

Post by franzi »

Thanks for your fast reply. And yes, it works!

Maybe this setting should be preselected because otherwise the "show text" in the annotations menue is of no use.

Regards
Franzi
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Franzi,

Thanks for the post - this setting will be remembered between sessions, but is selected by default unless changed. If this isn't set for you, then setting it once should do as you need.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)