Help File: Command "Print" - Option "Collate"

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Peter2
User

Help File: Command "Print" - Option "Collate"

Post by Peter2 »

Hi

in https://help.pdf-xchange.com/EUM/de ... dit6:print the option "Collate" is not explained. Maybe it is clear for native English speakers, but in German it is translate with "Sammeln (Collect") (in other software too ...), but it is still not clear when it prints "multiple multi-page" in mode "1-1-1, 2-2-2, .." or in mode "1-2, 1-2, 1-2, ...".

Please add one or two lines to the help file.
PDF-X-Change Pro German
HaPe
User

Re: Help File: Command "Print" - Option "Collate"

Post by HaPe »

I am German myself.When looking up the word "collate" in my dictionaries I get a translation like this:

"to assemble in proper sequence"

please have a look at my attached file.One page is an excerpt from the PDF-Xchange manual.It might give you a clue how it works.
Attachments
Collate.zip
(207.16 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Peter,

Collate is a printing term - that is why we have not explained it explicitly at our end. Here you can find some explanations of the feature:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 811AAFP40T
"In printing terminology, collate means to print in sets when multiple copies are sent to the printer."

So with that option on - it will print the first copy of the document (pages 1-2-...-n), then start with the second copy (1-2-...-n). With that option off - it will print each page the number of "copies" you've selected, then move to page 2 - print it that same number of times and so on.

Regards,
Stefan
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

HaPe wrote:..."to assemble in proper sequence"...
That's the typical circular-explanation, often found in help-file. What is "proper"? (I just had many discussions about "What is Standard" ..)
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:...So with that option on - it will print the first copy of the document (pages 1-2-...-n), then start with the second copy (1-2-...-n). With that option off - it will print each page the number of "copies" you've selected, then move to page 2 - print it that same number of times and so on....
Exactly this explanation is missing in the help-file (also it is a Windows-featire).
PDF-X-Change Pro German
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Peter,

I will pass this forum topic to the guys maintaining the online help pages.
However, as I commented earlier, this collate option is a general printing setting and not something we have invented so we will consider whether it should be added there at all.

Regards,
Stefan