File Explorer crashes - when searching for files - 6.0.317.1

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

crx
User

File Explorer crashes - when searching for files - 6.0.317.1

Post by crx »

Hello Trackers,

we plan the rollout for the new PDF-XChange Editor Version 6.0.317.1.

So at first we have installed it on a Windows Server 2008R2 with latest Microsoft fixes and system updates.
After that we've observed, when we are using the windows file explorer for file search that the explorer crashes.
The issue appears only with the x64-version of the PDF-XChange Editor - the x86-version works fine.

If we uninstall the PDF-XChange Editor completely everythings works also well - the windows file explorer doesn't crash.

When we switch the search option (under Organize | Folder and search options | Search | What to search) from "Always search files namen and contents..." to "In indexed location, search file namen and contents..." the file explorer also doens't crashes, independent if we use x64- or x86-version.

Can you help please.

best regards

crx
Attachments
20160531-090412-Crash-Screenshots.zip
(176.72 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: File Explorer crashes - when searching for files - 6.0.3

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello crx,

Thanks for the report. I've discussed this issue with colleagues from the dev team and they told me that ideally they would need a remote session to a machine where this is reproduced so that they can investigate the problem first hand!
Would you be willing to provide such a remote connection so that we can take a look?

Regards,
Stefan
crx
User

Post by crx »

Hello Stefan,

sorry but a remote session to our system is not possible. We have no connection to the internet.

But we know now, that the issue appears only by network mapped drives (in our case dfs mapped drives). When we use a "normal" drive for the search, i.e. C:\, all things works good.
When you want, we can run some tracing tools - if you like it, please tell me what kind of them.

best regards
crx
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello crx,

I have a new version of our Shell Extensions (the tool responsible for allowing windows to search inside PDF files and most likely causing the explorer crashes) which I can send to you for testing. Is the e-mail in your forum signature the correct one to use to forward you those?

Regards,
Stefan
crx
User

Post by crx »

Hello Stefan,

yes, the email address is the correct one. Please send me the new version of your shell extensions - we will try them.

Plan B:
We plan as an alternative solution to deploy the x86 version on our servers.

Unfortunately we found also there a problem.
We use in our environment the Microsoft Outlook 2010 (with last MS Updates/Patches/Fixes) with the preview functionality for some attached file types like PDF. In the x86 version we get an error message, when we click on the attached pdf to see the content in the preview window. (please see the sceenshot)

It's not disastrous for us, but we await, that our users complain and open IT incident tickets by the help desk guys.

What do you think, is it advisable to deploy the x86 in place of x64?

best regards
crx
Attachments
20160603_103352-No-Preview-PDF-OL2010.zip
(5.25 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello crx,

Just sent you an e-mail with a link to download the updated dlls. Let us know if those fix the problem for you.
As for the issue with Outlook - is your outlook 32 or 64 bit itself? I believe there was some issue with the files for the outlook previewer with the current build - but that is located and will be fixed with the next installer due for release by the end of the month if all goes well.

Regards,
Stefan
crx
User

Post by crx »

Hello Stefan,

we've tested it. The issue seems to be solved, we have no more crashes. Thank you and the guys in the background for your great help.
Should we now wait for a regular Tracker software update or make a hot fix by our own software packaging deployment (inplace replacement)?

"The preview issue with the 32bit version": We use Outlook 2010 in 32bit.

And what do you think, can you give us a recomendation for using of the x86 or x64 version of PDF-XChange Editor on our Windows Server 2008 R2?

Best regards :)

crx
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi crx,

No problem :)
Should we now wait for a regular Tracker software update or make a hot fix by our own software packaging deployment (inplace replacement)?
I'm not certain on the intended release date of the next build, so it might be easier for you to push the new DLL's to your users.
"The preview issue with the 32bit version": We use Outlook 2010 in 32bit.

And what do you think, can you give us a recomendation for using of the x86 or x64 version of PDF-XChange Editor on our Windows Server 2008 R2?
You will need to make sure that both the 32-bit and 64-bit DLL's are registered. Registering DLL's can be done as follows:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions\"The preview issue with the 32bit version"

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions\Win32\XCShInfo.dll"

That will register both DLL's, but please note that if you are running the commands via a batch file or the command line, you will need to run the Windows Command Prompt/batch file as administrator (right click --> Run as Administrator), otherwise the registration will fail.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
BBS
User

Post by BBS »

Hallo,
I have the same problem on a Win 7 64-Bit maschine with PDF-XChange Editor 64-Bit. We have installed the 6.0.317.1 version.
We use Outlook 2010 in the 32-Bit version.
When I search in explorer and then click the "file content" then crashes the explorer.

When can we expect an update?

Thank you for your reply

Regards
Björn
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Björn,

I have just sent you an e-mail with fixed shell extensions. Please just replace the files in your Editor's installation folder and the crash should disappear.

We will officially release the fix for everyone in build 318.

Regards,
Stefan
BBS
User

Post by BBS »

Hello Stefan,
Thanks for the quick help. The fix is very good and the search function is back to normal.

Best regards
Björn
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)
BBS
User

Post by BBS »

Hello Stefan,
can you tell me when the built 318 is released?
We have 100 clients in use and have massive problems with the expolorer search. A manual troubleshooting would still take a long time to complete.

Thank you for your help.
Best regards
Björn
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Björn,

Build 318 will be at some point in July, for now I do not have the exact date yet though.

Regards,
Stefan
sds
User

Post by sds »

Hello Stefan,

I just ran into this problem when installing ver. 6.0 317.1 on my 64bit Windows 7 Home Premium.

Can you send me the files required to restore normal operation by mail or can I find them here?

Thank you very much in advance, your product is great!

Ulrich
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi SDS,

did you find what you needed? Which product were you looking to repair? You can find all the installers on the downloads page here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/downloads
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
Vigus
User

Post by Vigus »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello Björn,

I have just sent you an e-mail with fixed shell extensions. Please just replace the files in your Editor's installation folder and the crash should disappear.

We will officially release the fix for everyone in build 318.

Regards,
Stefan
Please, is it possible to have the shell extensions fix for search crash?
Thank you
Vigus
User

Post by Vigus »

I have the same problems in windows search with 317. Is it possible to have the shell extension 318 to install?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Vigus,

I've just sent you an e-mail with a link to download the updated Shell Extension that will fix the issue.

Regards,
Stefan
sds
User

Post by sds »

Hello again,

coming back to this, the required files obviously cannot be found on the mentioned Download page.
Please be so kind to send me the files (updated shell extension) required to restore the search function by mail.

Thank you very much and Best Regards

Ulrich
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Ulrich,

Thanks for the post - we can certainly do that. Please email support@pdf-xchange.com directly, with a link back to this topic for reference, and we'll send those over.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
sds
User

Post by sds »

Hello Will,

thank you very much for your help.

Seems to work perfectly now again - Great !

Regards (& Good night)

Ulrich
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

No worries Ulrich! Glad to help :)

For others wondering - feel free to email us directly and request the fix, just be sure to include a link to this topic for reference.

The fix should be included in the next release, but if the issue persists then please let us know right away!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)