How to show the font name for a certain (marked) text?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mattad
User

How to show the font name for a certain (marked) text?

Post by mattad »

Assume I loaded a pdf with various different text fonts.

Now I mark a certain sentence or a word.

How can I get from XChange Editor the information what the name of the font (family) is?

Can I find out additionally if the font is embedded in the pdf file (and extract it)?
Matt
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: How to show the font name for a certain (marked) text?

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

1) Via the Properties Toolbar (View > Toolbars > Properties Toolbar) or especially via the Properties pane (View > Other Panes > Properties Pane), you should normally see all the text properties (Font name, size, color, embedded, ...)

2) At my knowledge it is not possible to extract an embedded font out of a PDF.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: How to show the font name for a certain (marked) text?

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Willy!

Just to add something to the last point - extracting the font is theoretically possible, but not with the End User application, as it doesn't serve any real purpose other than to install the font on your system. Once you know the font name, a short Google search will turn up multiple, safe download links, rendering such a feature fairly useless. This is only useful if you're a developer that needs to extract temporary copies of the font for rendering, printing, etc. In which case, you'd be best suited with one of our SDK's.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com