Color changes upon viewing in another program

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Clara
User

Color changes upon viewing in another program

Post by Clara »

Hello,

I've searched for this issue and can't seem to find anything but I'm sorry if it has already been asked.

I added a line of text to a pdf in PDF-XChange editor and saved it, at the time it seemed to match the shade of the other original text on the page (I'd used a color picked in another program).

When I opened the PDF in another PDF reader however, the colors were different, but *only* for the piece of text I had newely added.

I've had this issue at other times, but the opposite way around. Where I open a PDF in PDF-XChange editor and the colours look very wrong (purple looks royal blue) but look normal in other PDF viewers.

How can I make sure colors stay consistant?

Thank you,
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Color changes upon viewing in another program

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Clara,

Welcome to our forums!

Most likely the colour space used has it's effect.
Can we see the file in question? Or if confidential - please try to prepare a not so confidential sample.

Then also go to Edit -> Preferences -> Page Display -> Rendering... (lower right corner of the window), and try changing the "Default Transparency blending color space:" drop down meny to "Working RGB" -and your file should look exactly the same as in the other program.

Regards,
Stefan
Clara
User

Post by Clara »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello Clara,

Welcome to our forums!

Most likely the colour space used has it's effect.
Can we see the file in question? Or if confidential - please try to prepare a not so confidential sample.

Then also go to Edit -> Preferences -> Page Display -> Rendering... (lower right corner of the window), and try changing the "Default Transparency blending color space:" drop down meny to "Working RGB" -and your file should look exactly the same as in the other program.

Regards,
Stefan
Hello, thank you for your reply. Sorry I have not replied until now. I will try and find/create a non-confidential PDF file with the problem, when I can get the time to do so! :)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Clara,

Thanks for coming back to us!
We are looking forward to that sample file when you have the opportunity to make it!

Cheers,
Stefan
RMan
User

Post by RMan »

It appears that this is still a problem in the latest build with some color profiles for monitors as well as the monitor color profile effecting the actual hardcopy print output and changing the color. Shouldn't the color that is output to the printer be independent of any monitor or color preferences setting in the Editor? I've attached an original PDF along that I defined the markup as 83,187,187 and then switching to the ProColor RGB profile in the Color Management settings changes the output to the PDF printer driver to 0,214,0. Our clients are seeing where a gray color on screen will print as a blue on the physical printers where from Adobe it views and prints as Gray.

Hopefully this can be resolved in the next build.
ColorTest.pdf
(632.67 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
ColorTest_ColorProfile_sRGB IEC61966-2.1.pdf
(50.46 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
ColorTest_ColorProfile_ProColor RGB.pdf
(51.85 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Sorry Rman,
I don't believe I am seeing the same issue here, I do see that the ProColor one came out differently from the other two, but in the other viewers I've tested, the colors all appeared identical in other programs. Is the issue simply that color profile being different, or are you actually seeing different colors in different programs from the same document?

Could you possibly include a side by side screenshot of the color difference with the same file open in both programs?
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
RMan
User

Post by RMan »

Here's a PDF to walk you through the steps I was testing. Please let me know if this makes sense and if you can reproduce it on your end.
TrackerBugPrintColorProfiles.pdf
(372.73 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Rman,
We've passed this to the Dev team for investigation, hopefully we will have an answer soon, and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Proper color management remains to be one issue of X-Change Editor and Printer, especially for users of wide gamut displays. Whenever colors matter I have to use Adobe Reader for printing to paper and some Ghostscript based printer driver for printing to PDF.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Yes it is one of our issues, but we are working on it, Slowly and steadily to ensure it will work well when its finally re-implemented.

Support@pdf-xchange.com