Problem with page jump (i.e., the "pointing finger" icon)

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kenr11
User

Problem with page jump (i.e., the "pointing finger" icon)

Post by kenr11 »

Hello:

I have a pdf file that on many pages displays the "pointing finger" icon for jumping to another page. It prevents me from using the hand tool or markup tools. How can I eliminate it? Can it be done once for the entire file?

Thanks in advance,

Ken
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Problem with page jump (i.e., the "pointing finger" icon

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi Ken,

we will need to see a sample with info on which pages pose a problem. If you don't wish to share the file with the public you can email to support@pdf-xchange.com with a link back to this post in the email body.

thanks.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
kenr11
User

Post by kenr11 »

Thanks, John. I've attached the file. The "problem" appears on pages 2, 4, 6, 14, 16, 20 (funny, they're all even numbers). For what it's worth, the file was downloaded from http://biblio.juridicas.unam.mx/libros/libro.htm?l=955 and the other files there seem to show the same behaviour.

By the way, what's the proper name for that "finger" icon? I tried to look it up in the manual, but without knowing what it was called, I felt like I was searching for a needle in a haystack.

Ken
Attachments
Defensa E - III.pdf
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 113 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the sample file. Just as I suspected - there are links in that document which when clicked will take you to other pages of the same file. The problem is that the file is locked by the author of the document and so we can not allow you to modify that file and remove the links. I would recommend you to use the mouse wheel for scrolling through those pages instead of click-and-drag, and all should be well.

Regards,
Stefan
kenr11
User

Post by kenr11 »

Fair enough. The links from the Index to the various headings are perfectly understandable; what I can't understand is why the publisher put links on the linked pages that send you flying back to the Index if you so much as click on them anywhere. Aside from being annoying, it means you can't mark up those pages. But I suppose that's the privilege of the publisher.

By the way, does that "finger" icon have a name?

Ken
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the understanding. Indeed it is up to the author to decide what links to put where. A better one would have been a "back" or "home" button with the link on top, but this would visually alter the pages, which might not be desired. Try holding down the "Shift" key - and see if you can ignore those links and still place annotations on the page.

Search for Pointers here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 2147217396
And you will see that Microsoft classify this as a "link select" type of mouse pointer.

Regards,
Stefan
kenr11
User

Post by kenr11 »

Holding down the shift key did the trick - thanks so much for the tip and your comments generally.

Regards,

Ken
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com