Serious issue -- v6 unable to save certain PDFs

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

glocal
User

Serious issue -- v6 unable to save certain PDFs

Post by glocal »

The application refused to save a specific document and instead it shows the error below.

Unfortunately, I discovered this after I had spent hours adding comments, so that's half a day's work gone. It won't save the file even without added comments and no other tabs open.

The file is only 3.1MB, it is a simple text-only ebook with 400 pages, no restrictions. Acrobat X doesn't have a problem saving it. PDF-Xhange Editor saves it only after I delete 200 pages or so. I even closed all other applications, cleaned temporary files etc. but there is plenty of space anyway.

I must say PDF-Xhange Editor has been handling without problems much bigger, far more complex files, while many other tabs were open. It is the first time something like this happens, and only recently upgraded from v5 to v6, so I am guessing there must be something fundamentally wrong in the new version that is triggered by characteristics in specific files. I just tried to modify and save a 40MB document with many scanned pages and v6 worked just fine.

The problem is I can't trust v6 again until this issue is resolved. I will have to save work more regularly now.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Serious issue -- v6 unable to save certain PDFs

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi glocal,

Thanks for the post - is this something that you are able to consistently reproduce with the same file? Can you send the document? If you do not wish to post on the forums, please send to support@pdf-xchange.com, with a link back to this topic.

This isn't something that I've seen, nor have I seen it reported by other users, so I suspect that there is something in the file itself, or in the steps you took prior to that save.

Were you able to save the document with a Save As instead? Or Save Copy?

Please provide as much info. as possible, as we cannot fix the problem unless we can reproduce it.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
glocal
User

Post by glocal »

I can re-produce it any time. It simply won't save this specific file. I tried Save As and Save Copy. I understand you need to reproduce the issue, but the problem is I am not supposed to share the ebook (it's supplied by a library).
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Myself, I see - on the hand of your print screen - that you are trying to save to your (personal) Desktop folder, and that there is a message that there is not enough space.

If you try to 'save as' to 'an other folder' where you already have large files, is that possible ?

Maybe there is a limitation in space/size for the Desktop folder.
You could check this out by copying a large file to that folder via Windows File Explorer (not via PDF-XChange Editor).
glocal
User

Post by glocal »

Before I posted here, I tried several folders, including external drives. I save very big files on my desktop and Acrobat X didn't have any issues.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello,

I have reproduced this issue and reported it to our dev team. We have created an internal development ticket. Please reference "RT#3498: File can not be saved in Editor" when requesting an update to this issue.

Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work to resolve this issue.

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America