PDF-XChange Lite v6

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

DrTeeth
User

PDF-XChange Lite v6

Post by DrTeeth »

Hi,

I have just tried to print my first document since installing v6 and it did not work. All I get is the attached. I was expecting Editor to open with the document like v5 did.

To get v6 to work correctly anyway, I had to do a repair after I did the install on both my PCs. I also uninstalled the v5 printer. Uninstalling the v5 printer does indeed break the v6 printer, I have just tested that scenario.

Can you make a stand-alone printer installer available please? I assume that I need to do another repair install?

Thanks

DrT
Attachments
2016-03-30_17h20_59.zip
(21.91 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF-XChange Lite v6

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi DrT,

Thanks for the post - the V6 printer is a standalone printer and does not require V5.5. Lite. I've also uninstalled V5.5. and have had no issues here. Can you advise on the operating system that you're using, the application that you're printing from and the file that you're printing?

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
DrTeeth
User

Post by DrTeeth »

Hi,

Uninstalling the v5 printer broke the v6 printer on both computers and in exactly the same manner. I am using Win 7 x64 in both cases.

I was trying to print a section of a web site, but that is irrelevant. The printer is broken and it does not make any difference from which program or what I was trying to print (I have tested it with other apps).

Regards

DrT
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

DrT,

1) I just wonder if - actually - your PDF-XChange Lite V6 printer is working or not ?

2) I also wonder how you execute the uninstall of a printer,
- via Control Panel > Programs and Features > PDF-XChange Lite V6, and Uninstall
or
- via Control Panel > Devices and Printers, and then a right mouse click on the printer icon + Remove Device ?
The first method should be the correct one.

3) Logically, I would first uninstall V5 (= PDF-XChange Printer Lite 2012) and after that, install V6.
You seem to do this in reversed order. Why ?

Best regards.
DrTeeth
User

Post by DrTeeth »

>>1) I just wonder if - actually - your PDF-XChange Lite V6 printer is working or not ?

No. That is why I came here. Did you see the screenshot of v6 that I attached or even read my first post?

>>2) I also wonder how you execute the uninstall of a printer,
- via Control Panel > Programs and Features > PDF-XChange Lite V6, and Uninstall
or
- via Control Panel > Devices and Printers, and then a right mouse click on the printer icon + Remove Device ?
The first method should be the correct one.

I used the first method to remove v5, not v6 as you typed.

>>3) Logically, I would first uninstall V5 (= PDF-XChange Printer Lite 2012) and after that, install V6.
You seem to do this in reversed order. Why ?

I did it that way as I logically expected v6 to tidily upgrade v5 or uninstall it, and not to be installed in parallel. Seeing I had both v5 and v6 I decided to uninstall v5.V6 PDF-XChange editor upgraded v5 properly, I was not left with two version of Editor. It is sloppy programming to leave a printer instead of properly upgrading it. If you can do it for the main program you should be able to do it for a little printer driver.

Instead of asking why I did something, I have explained that *properly* uninstalling the v5 driver has broken the v6 driver on *two* computers in exactly the same way. That sounds like a bug and a reproducible one at that. I have just done a repair install and the printer is still borked. As nice as it is to chat with you, I wonder if we could get around to some support, like asking me proper questions for information that will help you diagnose the issue.

Also, clicking on the printing preferences button for the printer, produces an error message saying "Operation could not be completed". In printer properties, there is no port for the v6 version, the v6 printer is still connected to the v5 port, which I assume was removed along with the v5 printer driver. C'mon mate, lets get this sorted...computers must not win :lol: :lol: :lol: !

Regards

DrT
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi DrT,

I've just been informed that this is a known issue and a fix is already under way.

Apologies for the inconvenience!
It is sloppy programming to leave a printer instead of properly upgrading it. If you can do it for the main program you should be able to do it for a little printer driver.
It's not sloppy programming, it's a design choice. We choose not uninstall and install side-by-side, because many users like to have the old version to use and compare to, as do we. Ordinarily, this causes no issues because they are designed to function together, but it appears that something along the way was overlooked.
As nice as it is to chat with you, I wonder if we could get around to some support, like asking me proper questions for information that will help you diagnose the issue.
Willy is just another user, the same as you are and was only trying to be helpful. I've just spent the last 2 hrs testing this myself, only to be informed by a colleague that this is already a known issue and a fix is being pursued.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
DrTeeth
User

Post by DrTeeth »

Hi,

I got confused between 'Will' and 'Willy' :lol: , I thought support had slipped a bit :wink: . TBH, when somebody replies to me and has not even read the original message and asks pointless questions as a result, 'helpful' is not the word I would use to describe such interventions. Sorry, but that is the way it is. I have learnt my lesson in the past and now read posts *much* more carefully than I used to.

I have managed to fix the issue...using the stand-alone printer installer fixes it, whereas a repair install of Editor does not.

Cheers

DrT
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi DrT,

Glad to hear that's resolved the issue. In the mean time, we'll fix the issue at the source here.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)