PDF-XChange Editor Plus V6

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

claude vidal
User

PDF-XChange Editor Plus V6

Post by claude vidal »

I believe it would be good to create a specific forum for the new "forms" capability of PDF-XChange Editor Plus V6. Until then, here are my first impressions...

I personally really like the approach the Dev team has taken for this Form creation feature. It's intuitive and it has most of the bells and whistles, but a few important ones (for me) are missing:
1- Ability to set tab order (auto, by click, by table); this one is a real killer for me
2- Ability to create fields based on "form recognition"; for example, often a base document will have lines or boxes indicating where values should be entered; the automatic creation of text fields by clicking over these lines or in these boxes can be a time saver
3- Layers (Optional Content Groups)
4- Ability to set the order of field calculations
5- Not really a form creation feature, but it would be nice to be able to draw some basic shapes (think wingdings) and curves
6- Ability to set the transparency of objects

I've found what appears as bugs or inconsistencies:
1- The font "Arial Black', although appearing in the drop down list, can not be selected
2- Text box form fields can have the surrounding rectangle real tight around the text, except for the bottom part which always has approximately 6 points of blank space

And finally, questions:
1- When using "Apply default properties", what are those properties initially when a document is first loaded? Where can they be visualized?

From my short usage of V6 Plus, it seems rock solid, excellent work!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF-XChange Editor Plus V6

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Claude,

Thanks for the post, I'm glad that you're liking things so far :D The Wizards will be thrilled! I'll go through and answer each point in turn:
1- Ability to set tab order (auto, by click, by table); this one is a real killer for me
This was discussed in the testing phase, but we didn't have enough time to add it for the initial release. We're hoping that it will be in the following build, provided all goes well.
2- Ability to create fields based on "form recognition"; for example, often a base document will have lines or boxes indicating where values should be entered; the automatic creation of text fields by clicking over these lines or in these boxes can be a time saver
That's an interesting idea and not something that I've seen before, though I don't have a ton of experience with forms creation. I'll pitch that to the Dev. Team (aka Wizards) and will see if it's in the works, or if it can be added to our list.
Not sure that I understand the context here, can you be more specific? Layers are quite specific in PDF's, are you looking for different layers of fields that can be shown/hidden, depending on certain selections/other variables?
Not sure I'm following on this either (perhaps due to my lack of experience), can you elaborate?
5- Not really a form creation feature, but it would be nice to be able to draw some basic shapes (think wingdings) and curves
This really depends on the specific shapes and curves that you're talking about. If you're referring to arc annotations, then it's not really something that we'd look into doing at this time. The ISO Specification doesn't allow for arc annotations (i.e. half an oval) and, while technically possible with no enormous negative effects, it may still cause some compatibility issues between PDF readers. If that's not what you're looking for, can you provide details on some specific ideas?
Are you referring specifically to form-field transparency? If so, I'm not 100% sure that it's possible and/or allowed under the Spec. I'll have to check that and, if it is allowed/possible, I'll add a feature request for consideration.
1- The font "Arial Black', although appearing in the drop down list, can not be selected
2- Text box form fields can have the surrounding rectangle real tight around the text, except for the bottom part which always has approximately 6 points of blank space
Thanks, I'll test here and check with the Dev. Team.
And finally, questions:
1- When using "Apply default properties", what are those properties initially when a document is first loaded? Where can they be visualized?
These properties aren't specific to a document, but specific to the tool that is being used. They can be viewed under the Properties Pane (Right Click tool with default properties applied --> Properties). The defaults will depend completely on the tool and there are far too many properties for me to really advise.
Awesome, glad to hear it! :D

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
pentano
User

Post by pentano »

I agree totally with Claudes posting.

Adobe Acrobat and Foxit Phantom Busines can recognise "Formfields" in a PDF with boxes or lines automatically.

Setting the Tab-Order is essential for a Form creating tool.´
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for the input pentano :)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
ds1
User

Post by ds1 »

Tab ordering and automatic field recognition for scanned documents are an absolute must! I cannot recommend this to any business for form creation until these functions are added.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi guys,

Had a quick chat with one of the Devs. - automatic form field placement is planned, but likely not for the next build due to complexity.

Setting the tab order can already be done, though it's not immediately obvious. To do this, you'll need to open the Fields Pane (View --> Other Panes --> Fields Panep/b]) and order the entries by page:
One ordered by page, you can then drag and drop to shuffle the fields in the pane. The order in which the reside in the pane, will also be the tab order.

Just a note, the new V6 Editor manual can be found here:
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXEd ... or_Welcome

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
bqxmprij
User

Post by bqxmprij »

First, thank you and congratulations on the form fields! It has been a long time coming. This user really appreciates the work and effort!

I concur with the automatic form fields generation.

Here is an example by a competitor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjqDrtjc48U

Paul seems to have discussed it with the Wizards before. https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... =7&t=16491
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:... Just a note, the new V6 Editor manual can be found here:
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXEd ... or_Welcome
Funny how the V6 Editor's Help button still points at V5 documentation. And on the page Will refers to, the download link also points to the V5 version.

So, two questions:
1- How can the V6 Editor's Help button be changed to point to V6 documentation?
2- Can the V6 Editor's Help button be set to point to a local user manual?
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:... Setting the tab order can already be done, though it's not immediately obvious. To do this, you'll need to open the Fields Pane (View --> Other Panes --> Fields Panep) and order the entries by page ...
What a relief! Thanks for pointing out the (not so obvious) location of that function. :wink:

I've played around with the "by structure/row/column" order. I thought the naming was intuitive, but the results weren't. But before identifying the weird behavior I experienced as a bug, I'll wait for some documentation on those. And the manual order of tabs is there to the rescue in the mean time.

One distraction I found with manual ordering of tabs is that you really need to grab either the icon of the label text; anywhere else on that highlighted field only selects the corresponding form fields.
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Claude,

Thanks for the post, I'm glad that you're liking things so far :D The Wizards will be thrilled! I'll go through and answer each point in turn: My comments in red
This was discussed in the testing phase, but we didn't have enough time to add it for the initial release. We're hoping that it will be in the following build, provided all goes well. As explained in a later post, this already exists; please see my comments on tab ordering issues in another post
That's an interesting idea and not something that I've seen before, though I don't have a ton of experience with forms creation. I'll pitch that to the Dev. Team (aka Wizards) and will see if it's in the works, or if it can be added to our list.Others have chimed in to say this is an important feature; there are several approaches to this: PDFill, for example, let's the user click each area and define the type of field and then creates the form field; Nuance's approach is even more automated: it scans the document, determines where fields could reside and what types they should be, then creates the fileds; I'd like to the Dev team to consider the 'automated' approach
Not sure that I understand the context here, can you be more specific? Layers are quite specific in PDF's, are you looking for different layers of fields that can be shown/hidden, depending on certain selections/other variables?Exactly: the ability to show/hide object grouped in layers; for example, with a button action, you could let the user select which language to use, each language being a layer of objects tuned to that language
Not sure I'm following on this either (perhaps due to my lack of experience), can you elaborate?It's already implemented under the 'Fields' pane
This really depends on the specific shapes and curves that you're talking about. If you're referring to arc annotations, then it's not really something that we'd look into doing at this time. The ISO Specification doesn't allow for arc annotations (i.e. half an oval) and, while technically possible with no enormous negative effects, it may still cause some compatibility issues between PDF readers. If that's not what you're looking for, can you provide details on some specific ideas? See example attached
Example basic shapes.zip
(4.29 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
[/color]
Are you referring specifically to form-field transparency? If so, I'm not 100% sure that it's possible and/or allowed under the Spec. I'll have to check that and, if it is allowed/possible, I'll add a feature request for consideration.PDFill, for example, allows transparency of any object: form field, text, shapes; I assume transparency is part of the standard since Acrobat Reader DC showed the objects with transparency
Thanks, I'll test here and check with the Dev. Team.
And finally, questions:
These properties aren't specific to a document, but specific to the tool that is being used. They can be viewed under the Properties Pane (Right Click tool with default properties applied --> Properties). The defaults will depend completely on the tool and there are far too many properties for me to really advise.
Awesome, glad to hear it! :D

Cheers,
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Others have chimed in to say this is an important feature
Having an automatic Form Field Recognition feature makes life so much easier.I made a small video comparing PDF Xchange and PDFill side by side to demonstrate this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cafQON5 ... e=youtu.be

PDF Xchange is by far superior to other competitors but for the time being I am going to stick with PDFill when it comes to creating Form Fields.
I often create calc-sheets with Open Office and convert them to pdf-files with Grid lines printed so that I can use PDFill's automatic feature to quickly produce fillable "cells"

Apart from this:
I am very happy with the new version !
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello HaPe,

That is a very cool feature. I have submitted a formal feature request. Please note that a feature request does not guarantee that a feature will be implemented; only that it will be seriously considered by our development team.

Thank you for the awesome suggestion and kind words!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

I really, really want PDFXchange Editor to be my only PDF tool: so much slicker than the other fill & save form editor I use. As I said in my initial post, V6 has many of the bells and whistles, but is lacking in this release some important features.

I already mentioned the lack of automatic field recognition. Today I realized the V6 Editor is also missing another key feature: copy form fields from another PDF and make them editable.

Here's my approach to creating fillable form PDF's:
1- create the static text in MS Word (because of its flexibility in formatting)
2- save as PDF-1
3- introduce form fields (field recognition would have been nice)
4- save new PDF-2

Then I realize I need to insert a new section. So I go back to MS Word, adjust the document and save to PDF-1. But now, how do I get all the fields I created in PDF-2 back into PDF-1? Answer for now: go back to PDFill, unfortunately. Unless I've missed something equivalent in V6, if so please share.

The 'Edit content' feature of PDFXchange Editor is a great tool for simple text adjustments, but it can't compete with the formatting abilities of MS Word.

Personally, right now, copy form fields from another PDF and make them editable is at the top of my list. And it's a show stopper.

Dev team: what do you think?
DrTeeth
User

Post by DrTeeth »

What version do I download for an upgrade from v5...the 'plus' or the default? I noticed that the download names of both files are identical.

I look forward to the v6 PDF manual as I can only find the v5 PDF at the bottom of the v6 online manual.

Cheers

DrT
Last edited by DrTeeth on Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi claude,

Quickly testing here, I am able to copy/paste form fields between PDFs. Do note that the Edit form feature must be active to copy form fields. Pasting works if the feature is active or not. Do note that some forms cannot be edited using our software because they have been blocked for use with special functions in A@#be.

Hi DrTeeth,

Editor and Editor Plus are in fact the same installer. The only difference between the two is the the serial key being used.

I have been working on the V6 manuals with a small team for the past few months. Unfortunately it is not quite ready to be made publicly available on our website. You can view the V6 Editor and Editor Plus manual here: https://help.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXEd ... or_Welcome

You will find the forms documentation under Main Menu> Form> Edit Form...

I hope this helps!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

Patrick-Tracker Supp wrote:Hi claude,

Quickly testing here, I am able to copy/paste form fields between PDFs. Do note that the Edit form feature must be active to copy form fields. Pasting works if the feature is active or not. Do note that some forms cannot be edited using our software because they have been blocked for use with special functions in A@#be...

I hope this helps!
Yes, I'm breathing again! Thanks Patrick. You guys have answers for everything, remarkable support.

Have a good (hopefully) long weekend!
claude vidal
User

Re: PDF-XChange Editor Plus V6 - feature request

Post by claude vidal »

In the Edit Forms mode, it is possible, by right clicking a field, to toggle tab numbers. It would be great if this also gave the option to toggle label names.

Especially with smaller fields, the label can cover most of it and it is difficult to visualize the changes just made to it (ex.: color, font).
claude vidal
User

Re: PDF-XChange Editor Plus V6 - feature request

Post by claude vidal »

Ability to specify font style (italic, bold, italic-bold) on form fields
claude vidal
User

Re: PDF-XChange Editor Plus V6 - Radio buttons, bug?

Post by claude vidal »

I have a group of 2 radio buttons. I need them to be unchecked by default and I set this form field (group) as 'required', such that the user needs to press one or the other.

On submitting the completed form, leaving the 2 radio buttons untouched does not trigger the "... required ..." message. Other types of form fields with the 'required' attribute do cause the warning message as expected.

Am I misunderstanding this feature or is this a bug?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Claude,

As per my email regarding the two required check boxes:
...it looks like this is a bug in the way that we're handling the fields. This seems to work correctly in Adobe, so I've created an internal development ticket and passed it along to the Dev. Team to be fixed. The ticket number is RT-3490, so please reference this ticket when requesting status updates...
In the Edit Forms mode, it is possible, by right clicking a field, to toggle tab numbers. It would be great if this also gave the option to toggle label names.

Especially with smaller fields, the label can cover most of it and it is difficult to visualize the changes just made to it (ex.: color, font).
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass it along.
Ability to specify font style (italic, bold, italic-bold) on form fields
I'll pass this along for consideration too.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

claude vidal wrote:... I've found what appears as bugs or inconsistencies:
Support team,

Have you confirmed the 2 inconsistencies above?
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi claude vidal,

Thanks for the post. The developer in charge of this feature is on much needed holiday this week. These fixes should be fairly small. They should be rectified and available in the next build release.

Note: We have not yet set a release date for build 318.

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
claude vidal
User

Re: PDF-XChange Editor Plus V6 - Imported data and formattin

Post by claude vidal »

I have a form where some fields are defined as numbers with 2 decimal places and a $ sign. When exporting and importing the same data into an identical empty form, the data displayed seems to ignore all format definitions for those fields. Here's the scenario:

1- When I initially enter data in those fields, they display properly.
2- I then export the data
3- Open a blank form (same PDF with empty fields)
4- Import the previously exported data
5- The data imports, but is displayed as if 'Format value category' was none; for example, '125.50 $' now shows as '125.5'
6- Clicking the field and hitting 'enter': still '125.5'
7- Selecting the entire field, overlaying with '125.50' and hitting 'enter': still '125.5'
8- Looking at the field definition, its format is correct
9- The only way it seems to have the formatting kick in again is either: delete the contents and re-enter the same or other value, add a '.' at the end or add an extra zero in the decimals

The same scenario with Acrobat preserves the formatting

The .xfsf shows the following for this field:
  • ><field name="Text1"
    ><value
    >125.5</value
    ></field
This behavior can easily be reproduced by creating a new blank document with one filed defined as number.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Claude,

I believe that this is because only the data contained in the form is exported, rather than the particular properties of that field. This means that $125.50 would be converted to 125.5, due to the field's properties specifying a general number format, to 1 decimal place. I believe that the fields for which you intend to import date, should match the formatting of the fields from which the data was exported.

I'll see if this can and should be changed, or if that is not the currently desired behaviour, once our forms 'guru' is back, on Monday.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

I believe that this is because only the data contained in the form is exported, rather than the particular properties of that field. This means that $125.50 would be converted to 125.5, due to the field's properties specifying a general number format, to 1 decimal place. I believe that the fields for which you intend to import date, should match the formatting of the fields from which the data was exported.

I'll see if this can and should be changed, or if that is not the currently desired behaviour, once our forms 'guru' is back, on Monday.

Cheers,
Hi will, thanks for the reply. As I mentioned, Acrobat reads in the same exported data but uses the current form's formatting specifications.

Not a biggie, I can wait on this one :)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
claude vidal
User

Re: PDF-XChange Editor Plus V6 - 'reset form' affects R/O fi

Post by claude vidal »

I've created a field (FIELD-A) in a form so that I can change, as the author, its value over time. I set it to "read only and locked" so that the user filling the form cannot alter the contents of that specific field. I also included on the form a 'reset form' button for the user to wipe out his changes and start over.

Although the user cannot edit/replace/delete FIELD-A, he can unfortunately wipe it out by using the 'rest form'. This does not make sense IMO. One would think that read only + lock would prevent this. I verified this also with Acrobat and same behavior. So, is this part of the specs or left to each viewer software to decide?

P.S. I understand I could use a locked 'typewriter' field to achieve this, but still...
claude vidal
User

Re: PDF-XChange Editor Plus V6 - % display

Post by claude vidal »

A form field defined as Number will initially display blank until a value is entered. A form field defined as Percentage will initially display 0% (with decimals if so defined), even if no value has been entered, instead of blank.

I believe formatting should kick in only when a value is entered by the user filling the form. So the formatting behavior for Percentage should be the same as Number: blank initially.

It gets even worst...

If I have defined a Percentage format with 2 decimals, the initial display will show 0.00 %. This I think would lead the user filling the form to enter '3.25' in order to specify 3.25%. But the result will be 325.00% ! Counter intuitive IMO.

What does the Dev team think?
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Suggestion for a work-around:

Is it possible to use a numeric field with decimals, instead of a percentage ?
You could put the "%" symbol at the right of the form field.

You can do the same way with currency symbols, by putting them at the left of the form field.

Best regards.
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote:Suggestion for a work-around:

Is it possible to use a numeric field with decimals, instead of a percentage ?
You could put the "%" symbol at the right of the form field.

You can do the same way with currency symbols, by putting them at the left of the form field.

Best regards.
Great idea !! Thanks.

Dev team: Perhaps another feature request? Replace the functionality of the currency symbol (in number format) to a more generic literal string where the author could add any string of characters that would be appended to, or precede the number. This would be in addition to the already preset symbols.
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

claude vidal wrote:... Dev team: Perhaps another feature request? Replace the functionality of the currency symbol (in number format) to a more generic literal string where the author could add any string of characters that would be appended to, or precede the number. This would be in addition to the already preset symbols.
Can this be submitted as a feature request?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello claude vidal,

Thanks for the suggestion. I presume that what is made available as predefined symbols is the most commonly used ones, as this list can't be indefinitel in length, and we also need to make sure our forms are compliant with other PDF readers, but I will check with our devs to see if there's anything we can do on the matter.
In the mean time - it might be possible for you to specify the formatting of that field to custom, and then use JS to actually make it appear exactly the way you like, but this will require some coding and reading the relevant specification API:
http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/ ... erence.pdf

Regards,
Stefan
claude vidal
User

Re: PDF-XChange Editor Plus V6 - Certified but can be reset

Post by claude vidal »

As I understand it, digitally signing a PDF prevents alterations (all or some) but allows buttons to still be functional.

I've created a form which I sent to the client, which he filled and sent back. I now want to confirm our agreement with this client, so I wanted to digitally signed it so the client could not alter the contents and send it to him.

My form has a button with a 'reset a form' action, which was great for the client when initially filling in the form. I now realize that the client, if using PDFXchange Editor, while he would not be able to modify any individual field because of the signature, he would nonetheless be able to press that button and clear all fields !!!

I would have expected the digital signature to detect that action as "modifying the document" and not allow it.

Is this 'as designed' or a glitch? Acrobat Reader DC effectively disables the 'reset' button on my form when signed.
claude vidal
User

Re: PDF-XChange Editor Plus V6 - Certified but can be reset

Post by claude vidal »

claude vidal wrote:As I understand it, digitally signing a PDF prevents alterations (all or some) but allows buttons to still be functional.

I've created a form which I sent to the client, which he filled and sent back. I now want to confirm our agreement with this client, so I wanted to digitally signed it so the client could not alter the contents and send it to him.

My form has a button with a 'reset a form' action, which was great for the client when initially filling in the form. I now realize that the client, if using PDFXchange Editor, while he would not be able to modify any individual field because of the signature, he would nonetheless be able to press that button and clear all fields !!!

I would have expected the digital signature to detect that action as "modifying the document" and not allow it.

Is this 'as designed' or a glitch? Acrobat Reader DC effectively disables the 'reset' button on my form when signed.
I hope no one will be offended by me bumping this post. Just want to be sure it didn't fly under the radar.

This issue has an important impact on our form design.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Claude,

Not a offended at all! We usually reply fairly quickly, but it can take longer depending on the current load and the complexity of the issue.

For this particular problem, I suspect that it's simply not something that has been implemented. Can you upload a sample document, before it is signed, so that I can pass it along to the Dev. Team?

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

Not a offended at all! We usually reply fairly quickly, but it can take longer depending on the current load and the complexity of the issue.

For this particular problem, I suspect that it's simply not something that has been implemented. Can you upload a sample document, before it is signed, so that I can pass it along to the Dev. Team?

Cheers,
Sent to support via email
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for that! I've reproduced this here and have passed it along to the Dev. Team. The ticket number is RT-3525. At this time, I'm not certain if this is a bug or a design choice, I'll let you know as soon as I do.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Thanks for that! I've reproduced this here and have passed it along to the Dev. Team. The ticket number is RT-3525. At this time, I'm not certain if this is a bug or a design choice, I'll let you know as soon as I do.

Cheers,
Hi Will,

Version 317.1 does not resolve this issue.

You mention this could be a design choice. Adobe addresses this correctly (IMO) by not allowing a 'reset form' on a signed PDF. But beyond that, it seems to me counter to the spirit of digital signatures to allow 'reset form' when the signature specifies 'no changes allowed'.

Could I ask you to check up on Dev on this?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi claude,

Absolutely, I will check with them as soon as I'm able.
You mention this could be a design choice.
I'm not 100% if it is or isn't, so I will need to check.

317.1 was released only to address some critical issues with installers, shell extensions, OCR, etc. and some other small fixed were included, as they were fixed shortly after the initial Version 6 release.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)