Size and Position properties

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Willy Van Nuffel
User

Size and Position properties

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I guess that practically all elements on a page in a PDF file, must have properties for size, position, rotation, ...

Would it be possible to show these (additional) properties in the Properties pane?
(And - even better - to make them changeable too?)

For 'Line' and 'Arrow' comments, the 'Size' property is already available.

Thanks for consideration.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Size and Position properties

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Willy,

Indeed all elements on a PDF page will have coordinates describing their size, position, rotation etc.
And we already have a ticket in our system for improvements to what is to be available in the properties pane:
#3197: FR: Add ability to change text styles of measurement tools, to comment styles palette and properties pane
So I will see if we can add your request in there as well (or if a separate ticket is needed - I will make it).

Regards,
Stefan
HomeUser
User

Post by HomeUser »

I've just upgraded from a Windows XP computer to a Windows 10 computer,
and from PDF-XChange Viewer version 2.5 to PDF-XChange Editor Plus version 7.0
(build 324.2) so please forgive me if the answer to my question is obvious -- in still in shock
over the paradigm shifts.
How can one tell to what angle an object has been rotated? I selected some text
and rotated it freehand; i.e., I did not use the Shift-key while rotating. Once the text looked
like it had been rotated about 90° clockwise from its original position, I "let go" of it, and
deselected it. Afterward, I wanted to verify that it had indeed been rotated by 90° so I re-
selected it. Nowhere could I find what its angle was. When I entered the 'Edit/Transform'
command, it said that the rotation was 0°.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello HomeUser,
there are two locations you can see this value,
While you are rotating the shape it appears in the center:
or when the shape is set to a location it appears in the properties pane (CTRL+`) [that's a backtick, usually to the left of the 1 key on American keyboards]:
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
HomeUser
User

Post by HomeUser »

Thank you for your quick reply, and for the useful information you provided. I'm sure I will find it helpful when I'm working with geometric objects. In my case, however, I was rotating text. After rotating some text, and then selecting it again, I couldn't find to what angle the text had been rotated. At least in my installation of PDF-XChange Editor, a Rotation field is not present in the Text Properties pane. Is there somewhere else I could look for text rotation angle information? If not, it would be useful, to me at least, if a Rotation field were added to the Text Properties pane in a future update; there is plenty of room in that pane for it.
As for the angle measurement appearing when an object's "rotate" handle is used (text included), I found it hard to set an angle precisely in that manner though I did find that the farther away from the object I moved my cursor while rotating the object, the more accurately I could set the rotation angle. But even so, if I later select text that had been rotated, I could not determine to what angle it had been set.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I was a little bit surprised to (re-)discover a question that I asked about two years ago.
My thanks to HomeUser for picking it up.

Hopefully, missing properties, like Position, Rotation, Size (Height, Width), ... will be add sooner or later.

The ticket is still open?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi All,

Yes the ticket is still open.
I have just asked for an update to it.

Regards,
Stefan